• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,879 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2023 at 5:04 PM, Hoghead515 said:

After a few months I finally got to make a purchase. Glad to see work picking up and the bills caught up where I can start working on my silver quarter set again. I got this one from GC and upgraded the 1944 D slot. PCGS MS66RoundPhoto_Apr202023_165008.thumb.png.f104b658e53731c49e0adddce7e6bb25.pngRoundPhoto_Apr202023_165034.thumb.png.7e4493a3a5f4ffa74ff553ecc39ed78f.png

Sadly Im going to have to take this coin off my list. It got lost or stolen in the mail. First time Ive had any problems. I was very excited to. I really liked the looks of this one and was excited to put it in with the rest.  I got hold of the postal service and they are unable to locate it. I sent GC a message to see what I have to do to make an insurance claim. I got another from GC last week. Hopeit dont turn up missing. Hope someone dont start stealing the shipments knowing they are coins. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 5/7/2023 at 10:33 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Sadly Im going to have to take this coin off my list. It got lost or stolen in the mail. First time Ive had any problems. I was very excited to. I really liked the looks of this one and was excited to put it in with the rest.  I got hold of the postal service and they are unable to locate it. I sent GC a message to see what I have to do to make an insurance claim. I got another from GC last week. Hopeit dont turn up missing. Hope someone dont start stealing the shipments knowing they are coins. 

just saw an article today about the significant increase in robberies from the postal service this year, in some cases armed robberies of mail carriers!

@DSessom:  Re: "Faraday Cage"... Never heard of it, but looked it up and can candidly admit the breadth of my ignorance on the subject was breathtaking.  I see its application working on smaller items but then the Monster Box arrives at a local ground delivery service...

"Well, Rex checked it out. It's negative for drugs. Firearms? Nope. This box is too heavy.  Must be a load of osmium. But for what?  This guy lives in Butcher Hollow!..."

You get the picture. All the aluminum foil in the world cannot mask the fact that a lot of metal weighs, well, like a lot of metal. I believe a 1000-oz. troy bar of silver weighs about 80 lbs., so it stands to reason half that amount [500 ASEs, right?] must tip the scale at 40-plus pounds, or am I overlooking something?

I personally go no further than asking for a tracking number but that's a risk no average collector is willing to assume. I just don't want anyone standing around conjecturing: "Well, what have we got here?" I don't know if there is any marking that denotes INSURED, but why suggest "value".  I feel terrible about member Hog's loss but keep hoping it was a matter of damage that impeded delivery and that all the pieces of the puzzle will come together in time.

On 5/12/2023 at 6:01 PM, Henri Charriere said:

@DSessom:  Re: "Faraday Cage"... Never heard of it, but looked it up and can candidly admit the breadth of my ignorance on the subject was breathtaking.  I see its application working on smaller items but then the Monster Box arrives at a local ground delivery service...

"Well, Rex checked it out. It's negative for drugs. Firearms? Nope. This box is too heavy.  Must be a load of osmium. But for what?  This guy lives in Butcher Hollow!..."

You get the picture. All the aluminum foil in the world cannot mask the fact that a lot of metal weighs, well, like a lot of metal. I believe a 1000-oz. troy bar of silver weighs about 80 lbs., so it stands to reason half that amount [500 ASEs, right?] must tip the scale at 40-plus pounds, or am I overlooking something?

I personally go no further than asking for a tracking number but that's a risk no average collector is willing to assume. I just don't want anyone standing around conjecturing: "Well, what have we got here?" I don't know if there is any marking that denotes INSURED, but why suggest "value".  I feel terrible about member Hog's loss but keep hoping it was a matter of damage that impeded delivery and that all the pieces of the puzzle will come together in time.

...which is why I no longer buy silver bullion, and have switched to gold. Silver is nice, but it weighs too much if you plan on investing 10's of thousands of dollars. Plus, it's very difficult to sell that much silver unless it's to a local shop. 

So, yeah, the aluminum foil trick only works on individual coins, or a few coins. I just received a $5 gold Indian that was shipped this way. 

IMG_20230515_114204523.thumb.jpg.608e7d0e8030ffed7cb6da1730492171.jpg

Edited by DSessom

On 5/28/2023 at 3:09 PM, Simmoleon said:

Bought a couple of unc Morgans from a CNG auction, be interested what people think they may grade, will confirm the actual grades once they are graded:

1888 with Double Ear and 1883cc

IMG_3939.jpeg

IMG_3938.jpeg

I am notoriously inept at grading. (In fact, my wife and I cannot even agree on lunch.)  🤣

On 5/28/2023 at 2:09 PM, Simmoleon said:

Bought a couple of unc Morgans from a CNG auction, be interested what people think they may grade, will confirm the actual grades once they are graded:

1888 with Double Ear and 1883cc

I'll take a stab at it. 1888 - MS 62. 1883 CC - MS 61.