• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hold up your right hand and repeat after me:

18 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2024 at 11:46 AM, RWB said:

I shall not claim that a coin

run over by a dump truck is a “mint error worth thousands,

But,. . . what if it is worth millions? then can we dispose of unhelpful logic and unnecessary reason to sing upon high what a glorious find we have?. . . pretty please. . .

maybe off topic but maybe not.  Years ago when I was still gainfully employed it was known that I was a numismatist.  Actually they didn't know that word, but they knew I piddled with coins.  This was way before you tube and maybe before wide internet usage.  If there was internet it was all dial up.

One day a very nice fellow, crack computer programmer, came in my office breathing hard from exertion and excitement clutching what he knew would be his ticket to easy street.  Some guy who obviously didn't know what he had sold him a really old silver dollar for what he thought was a ridiculously good price and he wanted to find out how much he could make on it.  He showed me the coin.  It was a regular old garden variety 1878 Morgan that was heavily worn, pockmarked like someone had been beating on it with a ball peen hammer, and out of round like it had been squeezed in a vice.

I wanted to let him down easy, of course.  "You know, condition is key and this one is kind of rough."  His face drooped a little.  "But if it's a rare or key date it might bring a premium since these things are collected in sets.  Let me look in my handy Red Book to see if it's a key date."  He perked up a little.

"Unfortunately, it is not a key date," I said.  He said "Well, what do you think it's worth?"

"Silver value, which is currently about $4," I said.  I could swear I heard wind whistling out of his belly button.  His face fell and his whole body just sagged.  He looked up with an expression one might have on being told his best friend just got run over by a dump truck.

"How did you get it?" I asked.  Stifling a sob he said "I just bought it from a guy on the street outside."

"Friend of yours?"

"No."

"Did you pay a lot more than $4 for it?"

He could only nod.  Words would not come.

"Think you can get your money back?"

Again, words failed him.  He could only shake his head.  He wordlessly left my office.  I never asked him what he paid for it.

You forgot to mention --- He worked for Boeing and the "wind whistling" was the sound of his belly button plug blowing out. ;)

Simply stop answering questions until each OP gives a detailed explanation of how the "error" or "variety" could have occurred during the minting process. Post another pinned post that will not be read requiring this be done before a question is answered and stick to the policy. 

Exactly why this should be done. A few minutes of online research will begin the building of their knowledge base either by learning the processes involved or finding existing threads covering the same issues. The reference websites needed to answer most questions are listed throughout the forums.

Edited by LOCK34

On 1/24/2024 at 10:29 PM, LOCK34 said:

Exactly why this should be done. A few minutes of online research will begin the building of their knowledge base either by learning the processes involved or finding existing threads covering the same issues. The reference websites needed to answer most questions are listed throughout the forums.

To ignore the request for an opinion, or to make them try to "find out on your own", imho would be doing a huge disservice to the hobby. If someone is totally new, they aren't going to even know where to begin to look. And I haven't tried it, but I am sure a Google search will also be mixed with tons of bogus information as well (even directing them to YouTube coin *vomit*).

Then you are believing the person with no knowledge is going to go to the appropriate website and get good information (probably not). Do you see how damaging that is? Once they have done their incorrect research they become another one of those that @Sandon has mentioned that thinks "we" are wrong. It is because they are already misinformed before they ever come here to ask for an opinion.

We all only have so long on this earth, and I believe it is up to those with proper knowledge to spread that knowledge while they can. I think the hobby is for the betterment if despite how many times we may tire of having to repeat ourselves that we properly and correctly educate those who seek truthful knowledge. I don't think in the end it matters if our opine/advice/guidance is disregarded. I think it matters to pass it along, and remember it is possible for those who reject proper knowledge, that years in the future may eventually get themselves on a better path, come back and read their post and possibly even admit they were in err. Even if they do not, we still should be helpful.

Im new and was on a bad forum and appreciated what you guys said and left the reddit forum but i never would have went to you tube and atleast new better then just googling to come and join this chatboard and also got my new (red bible) red book , but i also like doing my own research to just needed to be guided to the material . I again thank you guys for not bashing me and leading me to the right information (actually it was alot of the posters on this post) and not just tearing me down because i didnt really know any better . I did some research on errors and actually found a few that i had and didnt even know i had because of it . If theres any other good forums or message boards you fine people know of i would love to know because im always up for a good read to better my understanding of collecting 

As far as I am aware, the PCGS forum is similar to this (I am not a member of that one so I cannot attest to that but seems to be the generality of what I've heard).

Nice to hear you got yourself a Redbook. That is a great book for checking coins you come across and has some critical information about sizes and weights as well as additional information about specific coin series.

You would also do well getting yourself a book titled The Official ANA Grading Standards for United States Coins, 7th Edition. This book will definitely help you learn and better your self grading skills.

On 1/24/2024 at 11:07 PM, powermad5000 said:

To ignore the request for an opinion, or to make them try to "find out on your own", imho would be doing a huge disservice to the hobby. If someone is totally new, they aren't going to even know where to begin to look. And I haven't tried it, but I am sure a Google search will also be mixed with tons of bogus information as well (even directing them to YouTube coin *vomit*).

Then you are believing the person with no knowledge is going to go to the appropriate website and get good information (probably not). Do you see how damaging that is? Once they have done their incorrect research they become another one of those that @Sandon has mentioned that thinks "we" are wrong. It is because they are already misinformed before they ever come here to ask for an opinion.

We all only have so long on this earth, and I believe it is up to those with proper knowledge to spread that knowledge while they can. I think the hobby is for the betterment if despite how many times we may tire of having to repeat ourselves that we properly and correctly educate those who seek truthful knowledge. I don't think in the end it matters if our opine/advice/guidance is disregarded. I think it matters to pass it along, and remember it is possible for those who reject proper knowledge, that years in the future may eventually get themselves on a better path, come back and read their post and possibly even admit they were in err. Even if they do not, we still should be helpful.

Nowhere did I say to ignore a question. Simply give them guidance with the websites provided throughout this forum to lead them into an understanding of what could have been a possible cause for the issue that they are asking about. It is a massive disservice to the hobby to just answer a question and be done with the uninformed person rather than help them develop an interest in the hobby by beginning to learn about aspects of the hobby and the processes involved with minting coins. Bringing them into the hobby by giving guidance is much more likely to happen than just throwing an answer at them as the walk out of the door never to be seen again.