• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to coin collecting
1 1

26 posts in this topic

I was watching a few YouTube videos and I came across a Bessie Coleman quarter that has marks on it, and I'm not sure if it is worth submitting. Please help. It's between the T and the Y and then in front of the face then between the L and in God we trust then after that. VideoCapture_20230731-063927.jpg.27a32c501ea8aaa4ec37807576477ec1.jpg

VideoCapture_20230731-063917.jpg

On 7/31/2023 at 6:42 AM, smashan8 said:

I was watching a few YouTube videos and I came across a Bessie Coleman quarter that has marks on it, and I'm not sure if it is worth submitting. Please help. It's between the T and the Y and then in front of the face then between the L and in God we trust then after that. VideoCapture_20230731-063927.jpg.27a32c501ea8aaa4ec37807576477ec1.jpg

VideoCapture_20230731-063917.jpg

Only submit coins that are worth at least $400.00 or more in raw condition. For example, a classic gold eagle. This coin isn't worth submitting. Hope this helps.

yes sir @J P M is cor4rect that is done by the crimper on a rolling machine.  nothing special.  Just a hint of advice please dont learn your collecting habit from YouTube.  :(  there are a lot of junk collectors out there that are trying to hock to the unsuspecting and new collector.  :( 

I didn't mean it like that, I was meaning as in the terms that are used to describe the findings. I had noticed the marks, and never thought of the end of a roller causing it. That's why I came here to get assistance. Thank you for your help

Edited by smashan8

On 7/31/2023 at 7:00 AM, smashan8 said:

it. That's why I came here to get assistance

Hey stick around there are guys here that have been doing this for over 50 years.  they can tell ya in a second what you have and if it is worth anything.. heck and if your lucky enough they will even rib you about it,  But dont worry everyone here has gotten the ribbing once or twice..

On 7/31/2023 at 7:02 AM, smashan8 said:

I do apologize for being a bother to you all. 

You asked a legitimate question and got legitimate answers so it's not a bother at all. As JT2 said don't trust any YT "Experts" as you will be misled more often than not whereas we'll tell you the truth about your coins.

On 7/31/2023 at 7:11 AM, Tony Follis said:

You asked a legitimate question and got legitimate answers so it's not a bother at all. As JT2 said don't trust any YT "Experts" as you will be misled more often than not whereas we'll tell you the truth about your coins.

Yes, I agree, but I will say YouTube did lead me here, lol. That's what I had hoped for, and I truly thank you. 

On 7/31/2023 at 7:18 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Your not a bother. You would be better off learning from a site like this one instead of you tube. There are many experts on here to learn from. Or buying coin books and reading them. You tube is a cess pool full of misinformation and pure garbage. The get rich off pocket change videos are a joke. They got new collectors out there looking for unicorns out there that are just not there. Theres videos telling new collectors to harshly clean coins and using chemicals that severly damage coins. Theres videos showing damaged coins telling people they are mint errors but its just damage. I can keep going on. Theres no end to the cess pool of garbage. Anyone who wants can upload a video of whatever they want and its very disturbing seeing all the videos of mis information. There are a few good videos also but if your not an expirenced collector then you dont know which ones to believe. Good luck to you and enjoy the hobby. 

I see where you are coming from. And thank you for the help. I'll be sure to check out the other forum posts on this site. 

@smashan8 welcome to forums . To start off since you’re new to the Hobby be very very wary of watching YouTube videos on coins ! A lot of misinformation now a days on YouTube….

however please take a trip over to “US , World and Ancients coins” forums and look under “post your most recent Acquisition US” and “post your most recent Acquisitions World” coins you’ll see what some of us are collecting coin wise how we are building our own personal collections

then ask yourself “Why” we don’t look for this “modern error” stuff because we been around for long time collecting and not wasting time listening to rubbish YouTube videos giving out wrong information on coins that are not worth a hoot ! It’s fun at beginning to roll hunt and learn but you’ll learn more on here from “serious collectors” than you’ll ever learn from a YouTube video 

On 7/31/2023 at 10:28 AM, EagleRJO said:

See the following webpage for a discussion of coin wrapper damage to coins with some example pics.  There is one quarter with very similar damage to the coin you have.

https://www.coincommunity.com/errors/wrapping-machine-damage.asp

Yes thank you it does have similar markings like the one on the link you sent. Thank you for that information. Well I'm going to have to do some research, I have a few coins from the 1940s, and allot of pennies that look stretched. I do apologize if I'm not using the correct terminology, I'm 35, and I had recently, started looking at coins for the years and just started keeping allot of the older ones that I came across. I even found a 1943 nickel, which I think is pretty cool. But yes thank you for the insight and encouragement to learn more..

Thank you, this was very helpful. Searching the forums is a bit tricky, and I did review the forum searching tips, it's just allot to take in. With that, I'm starting with learning the terminolgy first, as that's probably one of the most important parts to coin collecting. 

That's true. Allot of people are in it for the quick buck. But I can honestly say that it has been years since I had seen a half dollar and when the lady handed it to me, with the rest of my change, I was shocked. But that also leads me to another reason why I am curious about coins, it's because it's our heritage, it's where everything started from. And if you take min to look at one cent, (1940 is one of the ones that I currently have), how many peoples hands did that one coin pass through to get to me 83 years later..... 

On 7/31/2023 at 8:42 AM, smashan8 said:

I see where you are coming from. And thank you for the help. I'll be sure to check out the other forum posts on this site. 

Research other historic coin types here:  Small Denomination U.S. coinage....Morgan Silver Dollars.....Gold coins including Double Eagles.

Lots of options to collect and learn. (thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 7/31/2023 at 4:53 PM, smashan8 said:

That's true. Allot of people are in it for the quick buck. But I can honestly say that it has been years since I had seen a half dollar and when the lady handed it to me, with the rest of my change, I was shocked. But that also leads me to another reason why I am curious about coins, it's because it's our heritage, it's where everything started from. And if you take min to look at one cent, (1940 is one of the ones that I currently have), how many peoples hands did that one coin pass through to get to me 83 years later..... 

I understand. But I recently lived in an area (Pennsylvania Deutsch country, Lancaster County) where the circulation of half dollars is completely routine. Most small businesses in that area give them in change, and the bank branches routinely supply them to circulate. These small businesses are all within literal walking distance of the flea market where one of the first printed copies of the Declaration of Independence was found behind a painting in a frame. Even the bank branch where I opened my checking account is across the street from that flea market. The best homemade ice cream stand in existence is just down the street. How can they circulate halves? Easy. There are extremely few vending machines around.

Edited by VKurtB

No questions asked here are ever a bother to us. I could venture to say we prefer to be asked on here so the real truth can be made known. It is in the interest of keeping the hobby going to discredit misinformation and deceiving practitioners.

As for the history, it is something a lot of us think about when we have a coin of a certain date in our hands. Was it in a World War I soldiers pocket? What did he buy with it? Did he keep it on him because he had a connection to someone else through it? I have a 1783 Unity Cent that I wonder if George Washington ever may have had in his pocket......

On 7/31/2023 at 5:53 PM, smashan8 said:

That's true. Allot of people are in it for the quick buck

Collecting becomes a passion of  a lifelong obsession it’s not about money to most of us when we are putting our collections together is more for the love of the hobby… We been at it for long time devote a lot of our time studying a series of coins learn as much as we can… when I was growing up my grandfather , uncles and my father were collectors it was common for my grandfather to take me to coin shows and so on if it weren’t for my grandfather and uncles I probably would never been involved in coin collecting today like I am (although I do collect/invest way way more into coins than my grandfather or father ever did in their time)  ….

However my grandfather and my uncles mostly collected US coins as usual …. Now a days for last 10-13 years I’ve collected mostly German coins that whole different arena in coin collecting some information simply can NOT be looked up online I had buy books and catalog (mostly written in German language) and study and study the old fashion way to learn about German coinage I wanted to collect I haven’t looked back on US coinage for a long while nor bought any US coins for long time … The more educated you are the more better you’ll become when making decisions on buying coins for your collection it takes years to hone in that skills …I e never looked at my coin collection as a “gold mine” to make some $$$ on it … in fact I hope when I get older one of my kids take the collection I do NOT want a single dime back that I spent into it over all years other than I had the enjoyment putting it together 

Edited by Jason Abshier