• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roger Burdette: The Numismatist of the Year
1 1

27 posts in this topic

Congrats, thanks for all your informative posts, thanks for the interesting NARA letters you find, and thanks for making the SAINT-GAUDENS DE Thread the best one by far on any forum I've visited with a wealth of information for any Saint collectors out there (hopefully more show up !!  xD).  (thumbsu

Many thanks from a newbie, Roger! Researchers inspire me with such devotion to the history and science fields. I could improve at concentrating when studying something, so https://ca.edubirdie.com/pay-for-essay-writing is the spring that helps me do my studies and papers. I pay for essay writing that brings "A" grades, so my lessons with the university professors can go well.

Edited by emabigpiglet

Roger, I'm curious....how did you "pioneer accurate high-quality coin photography" in the 1970's ?   What did you do...and what was done before ?

I'm not sure when interchangeable lenses came on the scenes (1960's ?) but I suspect that was a big change for photographers as you now had multiple lenses (close-up, wide-angle, telefoto, etc.) for different types of photographing instead of using 1 fixed focal length that came with the camera originally.  From what I can tell, coin photographs in auction catalogs in the 1970's were light years bettere than those in the 1950's and before (and neither are anywhere near today's great glossy hi-def photos).

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 8/30/2023 at 2:07 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

how did you "pioneer accurate high-quality coin photography" in the 1970's ?   What did you do...and what was done before ?

This was based on treating a coin or other numismatic object as a miniature portrait, and then using color balanced lighting to mimic human portraiture rather than simply aiming a couple of flood lights at it. I did illustrations for Kam Ahwash's books, and combined "portrait" lighting with accurate color, wide tonal range, and repeatable processes. I also used specific magnification and encouraged the use of enlarged photos rather than actual-size images in print. I wrote a detailed book on coin photography long ago before slabs and digital cameras. It's mostly obsolete, and portrait lighting only works with un-slabbed items. I also did some consulting back then at the Philadelphia Mint to help the engravers get more consistent results from in-progress sculpting. I don't know who at ANA discovered these tidbits....I'd mostly forgotten about it. Kind of like when I cam across a big binder of code and realized that it was SW I'd written for a database application long ago....Just another "hat."