• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you collect?

166 posts in this topic

On 11/16/2022 at 5:34 PM, rrantique said:

us type.jpg

Very impressive coins. I love the way you put those together. That would make a nice print to blow up and hang on the wall. Or a floor mat or something. Those would look good arranged in a case like that and hung on the wall

On 11/16/2022 at 9:55 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Ive just been sitting and looking through the registry at all different types of sets. Theres so many out there I want to try really bad. In reality though I better finish the 3 I got started. The main ones is the quarters and halves. But I think its healthy to have at least one or maybe 2 small sets also that only require 5 coins or so. That makes it easier to complete and also gives you a break from the others every once in a while. I want to state thats just my opinion. Others may find something that works better for them or may not want to work on anything else. Thats just the approach Im using and my logic behind it. Theres so many beautifully designed coins out there. All the very talented engravers. Its hard to collect them all unless you do a type set or something. Which is something Id be interested in doing. I got a type set started but I havent really worked on it. I just bought coins I liked and added them to it as I got them. But as I looked through the registry I visited some of my friends sets on here. I go admire them every once in a while. They got some stunning coins. And I looked at some sets of random different denominations. Theres so many different ones I love to start but in reality I cant do them all. Its like going to an ice cream shop and trying to figure out what flavor you want when you love them all. 

Ever considered the mint sets for your birth year or your son? Not many coins to complete.

On 11/18/2022 at 6:07 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Actually theres more like 40 or 50 of them. Compress_20221118_190608_8686.thumb.jpg.00120582dbf1075ac4d1836d61494e96.jpgCompress_20221118_190629_9907.thumb.jpg.7fd3965af2bdda672bafa427e0fd50de.jpgI never heard of alot of them but this ones still in plastic also. Sorry my friends to venture off the topic of coins. I wont post no more after this. 

That's cool to get gifted a bunch of records from the original owner (most likely).  I'd say grab yourself a cheap-o record player to see if they're your jam on not.  I was curious about that Cher 45.  The A side should be "Dark Lady".  Never heard it so I just played it on YouTube and it's a pretty decent tune.  That's the kind I'd grab if I came across it and it wasn't scratched.  I rarely check valuations on records since they're still first & foremost a music delivery system for me and I play them fairly regularly.  But if you're interested, the discogs site is pretty much accepted as a good gauge.  Mostly because it has a marketplace so you can see actual bid/ask prices rather than a static "price guide".  I use the site quite regularly when looking up pressing variations.

On 11/18/2022 at 8:37 PM, Crawtomatic said:

That's cool to get gifted a bunch of records from the original owner (most likely).  I'd say grab yourself a cheap-o record player to see if they're your jam on not.  I was curious about that Cher 45.  The A side should be "Dark Lady".  Never heard it so I just played it on YouTube and it's a pretty decent tune.  That's the kind I'd grab if I came across it and it wasn't scratched.  I rarely check valuations on records since they're still first & foremost a music delivery system for me and I play them fairly regularly.  But if you're interested, the discogs site is pretty much accepted as a good gauge.  Mostly because it has a marketplace so you can see actual bid/ask prices rather than a static "price guide".  I use the site quite regularly when looking up pressing variations.

From the looks she was into jazz, country, rock , and blues. Theres a few country like Glenn Campbell. Which I like. Id be interested in listening to that. And some Elvis, Sam Cooke, and others. Several Ive never heard of. Some kind of jazz. I like listening to stuff like that once in a while also. Ill probably leave the ones that arent opened in the plastic. It amazed me of how great of shape the covers are in. Records to. Dont look like they been used hardly any. 

Ive been thinking real hard on some type of birth year set. I was born in 82 so Ive been thinking about all the varities of the 1982 Lincoln cent. Also the proof. All except the rare one. Id have to sell a kidney or something to get it. That would be a fun birth set to do. Try and get them all in high grades. Ive had many people tell me I should consider doing a birth set. I think I will make an attempt soon. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 11/19/2022 at 6:24 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Ive been thinking real hard on some type of birth year set. I was born in 82 so Ive been thinking about all the varities of the 1982 Lincoln cent. Also the proof. All except the rare one. Id have to sell a kidney or something to get it. That would be a fun birth set to do. Try and get them all in high grades. Ive had many people tell me I should consider doing a birth set. I think I will make an attempt soon. 

Consider the 1982 proof set first. Five coins in the set and should be readily available in high grades!

On 11/19/2022 at 6:24 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Not a bad idea....I believe I have a 1982 MS or PF67 Red Penny that I picked up at FUN 2020 for like $20 when I just wanted to wipe out my allocated $$$ for coins on the final Sunday. :)

On 11/28/2022 at 11:07 PM, JessicaJoe said:

Thank you for this... I can't wait to see how this goes hopefully people are informational with there knowledge... I know I'm new here  and I need all the help I can get so I posted in this thread... To make sure I seen all the post from everyone..😁

Your very welcome. I can tell your willing to learn and I think you will do well. Cant ask for a better hobby to get into. Lots of fun and educational. This forum is an excellent place to learn. Ive learned quite alot on here reading all the post and links people provide. And by asking questions. The experts on here answered many questions for me that helped me along the way. Feel free to come back and post here anytime you like. If you find an area you want to collect or things you learned. There are several people on here that would love to hear about it and help you improve. If your willing to learn and want to learn they are more than happy to help you. Its great to have you on the forum. 

Edited by Hoghead515