• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you collect?

166 posts in this topic

I used to collect US coins like a vast majority of us do or did growing up in with grandfather , uncle and father who all were into coin collecting back in those days …

I sold my grandfather’s collection off mostly of Raw circulated coins lower end stuff seated dimes, Morgan, peace dollars , standing Liberty quarters , barber dimes and quarters and so on typical US coinage stuff  (later in the  years I regretted selling it even tho it wasn’t worth much, that wasn’t the point … but still I looked at it as a man who took time to spend his hard earn cash to build something he enjoyed building in this case was “his coin collection” it was priceless to him! So to this day I still feel guilty selling that ) … same could be said about my father’s raw collection also collected a lot Mint sets I sold all that all off . 

I collected heavily on Buffalo nickels I had nice collection of Buffalo nickels wasn’t fully completed I dump that on market , I had nice collection of Lincoln cents dumped that back on market … I have soft spot for Mercury dimes and Walking Liberty halves are my two favorite U.S coins to collect 

right now for last 8-10 years or so I been mostly focusing on German coinage since that where my heritage mostly came from Baden Germany I been working on Minor coinage RAW set of Kruezers , batzen, pfennigs and so on … I also working on Graded 2Mark , 3Mark , 5Mark all in PROOFS

my next journey into German coinage I want to branch out and collect Talers by Davenport # (we spell it Thalers) it really called Taler…  I’m also interested in collecting  German and European Exonumia (table medals) … 

Oh also I collect German coin books ,catalogs and so on for my numismatic library you can NEVER have enough knowledge on coins always buy the book when you can ! Last year I didn’t buy a single coin , instead I invested into books for knowledge 

On 4/22/2023 at 6:38 AM, Jason Abshier said:

Oh also I collect German coin books ,catalogs and so on for my numismatic library you can NEVER have enough knowledge on coins always buy the book when you can ! Last year I didn’t buy a single coin , instead I invested into books for knowledge 

I have all the books I need for my primary interest, what's available anyway.  I am always looking for auction catalogs that include coins I did not know existed.

As for buying coins, more often than not, I usually have to buy it when it becomes available or else lose out.  

On 4/23/2023 at 9:32 AM, World Colonial said:

I have all the books I need for my primary interest, what's available anyway.  I am always looking for auction catalogs that include coins I did not know existed.

As for buying coins, more often than not, I usually have to buy it when it becomes available or else lose out.  

@World Colonial I do buy coins that are on my bucket list when they pop up … I wouldn’t miss a chance at coin I really wanted , but last year was slow year for me finding the coins in grade I wanted for my collection … you and I have few things in common we buy older catalogs and books,  I use them for a reference.. 

right now I’m waiting on the First catalog Kurt Jaeger had printed in 1975 old but in good condition for its age make a nice addition to my numismatic library hopefully it comes soon in the mail  

Edited by Jason Abshier

On 4/26/2023 at 10:35 AM, DSessom said:

I bought this on a bit of a whim a few months ago. I really love the designs used in German coinage, and my mothers side is also from Germany (Rahden area). 

image.thumb.jpeg.b71cf2c4cb79a99b44c468222855d6cc.jpeg

Nice German empire 5Pfennig ! That’s a type 2 small shield eagle toward the end years of German empire…

collecting German coins get interesting there’s many paths to go down … There’s a Krause catalog devoted entirely for German coins thick as an old telephone book for Germans coins dating back to 1600-present day… a lot good information for anyone interested in German coinage and history … European coins and other world coins are starting to gain some popularity among collectors now a days  

28845F01-7938-4D46-928D-E6B1CB8CBAC1.jpeg

On 6/22/2023 at 12:04 PM, Buffalo Head said:

This PCGS 66+ is another standout from my collection. The strike is incredible for the date and the luster will knock your eyes out.

IMG_1713.thumb.jpeg.ece9c7d2fafa54dd5ceab32c6d8bdef4.jpegIMG_1714.thumb.jpeg.503882a83039e040f024f7569012de21.jpeg

...agree, the "high rim" definitely protected this coin....