• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double or?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Definitely to blurry to tell if there is anything other than damage and wear on the coin. Everything looks so mushy and fat that I'm wondering if the surface isn't coated with something.

Please crop and rotate your photos properly so we may help you better. Some of your photos show more background than coin. Large clear photos are essential in diagnosing coins as we have to be able to see all the details.

If you are asking about all the scratches around the date, it's just that scratches from a sharp instrument like a knife or screwdriver.   This is damage that happened after the coin left the mint and is known as post mint damage (PMD).

On 3/16/2022 at 2:24 AM, Stephaniec418 said:

Can you tell me what has happened here?

Nothing good, collectible, or valuable. That much is certain. 

I hope these are better to see the coin does look coated and it is blurry because it has so much metal on it. I didn’t think it was worth anything I was just asking if you know why it’s triple coated this way 

DC0448B6-7496-4811-AE30-0AFE117766C8.jpeg

2B80D142-170D-4DE2-9A64-B2AC4E0A4E62.jpeg

6379C0E1-BD18-42E4-8C01-412DB3C9182C.jpeg

5CF44CB1-DA50-484C-A7D9-89BA5871766A.jpeg

On 3/17/2022 at 4:08 AM, Stephaniec418 said:

It looks like someone tried to scrape the excess metal off or something

Exactly. The scratches and mushy appearance are from damage after it left the mint. As to the exact cause...you'll probably never know.  However, whatever caused the damage DID NOT occur at the mint and damaged common coins have no collector interest.

Hope this helps.

It is a messed up coin looks like it had a acid bath 40 years ago or it just got dug up after 40 years. Sorry ,I would give up on this cent.

On 3/17/2022 at 4:46 PM, Stephaniec418 said:

I see die clashes also I’m wondering if it’s a thickening or a crazy ddd?

There are no die clash marks, only heavy scratches

The thickening isn't anything like one would find on a doubled die.  Its been flattened by circulation damage, nothing more.

Characteristics of doubled dies

https://www.doubleddie.com/58222.html

Spend some time studying that section and look at the pictures of doubled dies on the site, and you'll understand why your coin doesn't have thickening

On 3/17/2022 at 4:46 PM, Stephaniec418 said:

I see die clashes also I’m wondering if it’s a thickening or a crazy ddd?

Keep in mind that most (not all) clashes are very subtle.  The clash marks are generally not very deep.  Therefore, if there were clash marks visible at one time, that coating/plating/whatever would have covered/obscured the visibility of the clash.

Keep hunting, if you don't look - you never find.  This one is in the "neat damage but worth a penny" category.  The real one is still out there waiting for you to find him.