• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JP's Nickels
1 1

16 posts in this topic

On 1/22/2022 at 7:41 PM, JT2 said:

thats some good stuff there JP good job!

Thanks, I am trying to keep the collection MS+FS that makes it a little more challenging to say the least. 

Those are definitely beautiful coins @J P Mashoke!  When I first saw the grade on your new 1938 FS addition I immediately thought, "Dang...... J P done gone and hit the lottery and didn't tell us....." (I guess I'm showing my ignorance here). My feeble mind immediately thought that a first year Jefferson, WITH Full Steps and being MS, would be worth a small fortune (we know you are a high roller flying under the radar J P... it's ok....:nyah:). Regardless, that is a gorgeous coin especially for its age.  Congrats on both pick-ups my friend!(thumbsu

On 1/23/2022 at 10:54 AM, GBrad said:

My feeble mind immediately thought that a first year Jefferson, WITH Full Steps and being MS, would be worth a small fortune

You are not completely off base here, the 1938 does get somewhat pricey at the MS67 FS (5FS at NGC) point.   And if I recall correctly NGC has not certified a single 1938 example as having 6FS, so I imagine if a high grade one is ever given the 6FS designation it would be worth quite a bit.

@J P Mashoke nice additions!  (thumbsu

On 1/23/2022 at 1:42 PM, Lem E said:

Here’s a fun fact about your 1938 nickel. If you look at the obverse legends, they used a slightly different font. It’s easiest to tell by looking at the word LIBERTY. The 38 is the only one that uses this font and it was done at all 3 Mints. I made this little collage to help me see the differences. Congrats on the new pick ups. 

52F27107-1746-414A-A7D7-7D0ED43755B1.jpeg

And our resident Nickel expert chimes in and teaches us all (at least me) a really neat lesson.  Thanks Lem!!!! Much appreciated.  I love learning stuff like this!(thumbsu

On 1/23/2022 at 12:56 PM, GBrad said:

And our resident Nickel expert chimes in and teaches us all (at least me) a really neat lesson.  Thanks Lem!!!! Much appreciated.  I love learning stuff like this!(thumbsu

I am no expert by any means. I just happened to notice this one day while looking at my coins. 

On 1/23/2022 at 2:02 PM, Lem E said:

I am no expert by any means. I just happened to notice this one day while looking at my coins. 

Don’t sell yourself short my friend. You are very knowledgeable on the subject matter IMO!! 

On 1/23/2022 at 12:54 PM, GBrad said:

Those are definitely beautiful coins @J P Mashoke!  When I first saw the grade on your new 1938 FS addition I immediately thought, "Dang...... J P done gone and hit the lottery and didn't tell us....." (I guess I'm showing my ignorance here). My feeble mind immediately thought that a first year Jefferson, WITH Full Steps and being MS, would be worth a small fortune (we know you are a high roller flying under the radar J P... it's ok....:nyah:). Regardless, that is a gorgeous coin especially for its age.  Congrats on both pick-ups my friend!(thumbsu

They are both very nice coins .I love the1938 I got a good deal on that and the 2013-p shocked me when I saw the average price range. I am not sure why some coins are priced the way they are it always makes me wonder? The price jump from one grade to the next after 64 is baffling on some coins. But still I got a really great deal on that MS67 :whistle:

On 1/23/2022 at 3:19 PM, Hoghead515 said:

In my opinion your the ,"NICKEL MAN."  Ive learned some very cool facts from you on nickels. Love you presentation on your registry set also. 

Ya Lem ,Is the head honcho for nickels. Like so many other members here you all deserve a big hand for all the knowledge and help you all do for others. :golfclap: I had already been getting into collecting Jefferson's as kind of a tribute to my dad. Lem's collection after seeing it has inspired me to no end. As long as I can keep getting the good deals I will try to keep going on the sets. I don't think I can get to the heights of some of you gentleman but it will still be fun.