• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Almost positive its counterfeit
2 2

17 posts in this topic

A friend of mine has a colonial issue coin and he thinks its counterfeit but wanted to ask me to confirm his suspicions. After looking at it Im almost 99.9% sure it is counterfeit also. But just for the sake of the other 0.1% I told him I would post it and get it confirmed by the experts on here. Thats the best pics he said his phone would take but I think those are good enough to see the lousy details to make a confirmation.  Looks like a crappy counterfeit at that. So am I correct on calling this counterfeit?Polish_20211217_130335570.jpg.11fd39ac17b2c3549fb95a348f6e4592.jpgPolish_20211217_130308917.jpg.6eab16f116b97835307ba18acf82f090.jpg

[My only question was when did Massachusetts, now a commonwealth, stop being a state?] 

Edit:  1780 seems to be the pivotal year.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing: according to Wikipedia.

On 12/17/2021 at 3:33 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[My only question was when did Massachusetts, now a commonwealth, stop being a state?] 

Edit:  1780 seems to be the pivotal year.

Commonwealths do not cease to be states.

On 12/19/2021 at 12:17 PM, VKurtB said:

Commonwealths do not cease to be states.

Very troo Dat!  I checked. (Betcha can't name all six. I ain' stutter: there are SIX!)

On 12/19/2021 at 11:30 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Very troo Dat!  I checked. (Betcha can't name all six. I ain' stutter: there are SIX!)

Without checking online, I’ve got Massachusetts, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Puerto Rico.

On 12/19/2021 at 1:20 PM, VKurtB said:

Without checking online, I’ve got Massachusetts, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Puerto Rico.

Turns out I wasn't exactly right either. Puerto Rico 🇵🇷 is not represented on our U.S. flag and joins American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands and the Virgin Islands as unincorporated territories. (Aside: I don't know about Alaska but I do recall Hawaii and Puerto Rico once had their own currency.)

I think the only states that had their own money while they were independent countries were Hawaii, Texas, and Vermont.  Puerto Rico had their own money but they haven't become a state yet.

Might add Utah, but I don't think they were ever an independent "country"

Edited by Conder101

On 12/21/2021 at 1:04 AM, Conder101 said:

Puerto Rico had their own money but they haven't become a state yet.

May sound harsh, but Puerto Rico will never become a state. Unwritten law:  "any unincorporated territory that has had rolls of paper towels thrown at it shall not be entitled to become a state."

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing: additional words.

On 12/21/2021 at 6:56 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

May sound harsh, but Puerto Rico will never become a state. Unwritten law:  "any unincorporated territory that has had rolls of paper towels thrown at it shall not be entitled to become a state."

What about Auburn U. toilet paper rolls?

On 12/21/2021 at 6:14 PM, VKurtB said:

What about Auburn U. toilet paper rolls?

Those are reserved for s---hole countries.... and Halloween 🎃 mischief makers.  

On 12/19/2021 at 3:05 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Turns out I wasn't exactly right either. Puerto Rico 🇵🇷 is not represented on our U.S. flag and joins American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands and the Virgin Islands as unincorporated territories. (Aside: I don't know about Alaska but I do recall Hawaii and Puerto Rico once had their own currency.)

The US Virgin Islands is an incorporated territory. Just means they are one step ahead of the rest towards statehood (not that I advocate that). 

On 12/21/2021 at 1:04 AM, Conder101 said:

Puerto Rico had their own money but they haven't become a state yet.

Puerto Rico never had its own money. They had a lot of counter stamped coinage, like everyone else in the Caribbean, and the coins we generally know as Isla de Puerto Rico were issued by Spain in 1895, when the island was on the path to becoming independent. And now of course we have the only US quarters with Spanish-language text. :)