• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the coin that started it all for you?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

For my whole life, that I can remember,  my mother had some coins stashed away in her cedar chest. I loved it even when I got older when she would unlock her cedar chest to reminisce on the items she had been able to keep for herself even through tough times. She was born in 1921. I started hanging around in 54.
I remember the smell of the cedar, the handmade frames on her pictures, a what seemed to be giant raccoon coat and of course her coins. There were only a dozen or so but each one had a story. As the years went by she pretty much divided every thing out to which ever grandchild she wanted to please. She was a giver.

one day by surprise, she handed me the last coin left of her collection and told me to hang on to it and give it to which ever grand child of all the grand children I thought would pass it on to a future Grandchild.  I still have it. And will soon be handing it out. It was an 1838 large cent her grandfather had given to her when she was very young.
 I am fairly certain to not have a coin or two stashed away somewhere for whatever reason has never not been part of my life.

On 12/15/2021 at 4:29 PM, JKK said:

My family have a ranch in the Kansas Flint Hills, a place of which I am fond. It dates back to the 1880s, and I grew up with a tiny great-grandma in my world who had moved out to that ranch as a young wife; she was ancient when I was a child, a much loved figure. I was fooling around outside the carriage-room (which is still called that, and still has the old harness case; the side-saddles were only removed in the 1980s when it finally occurred to someone that no women would want to ride that way any more), and saw a black dot on the ground. It was a very dark, worn-flat Barber dime. I do not remember the date, but I showed it to my parents and grandfolks, who all smiled and said I could keep it. I have no idea where it went, but I think it was stolen with part of my collection in my teens.

In any case, shortly after that find, my great-grandmother gave me four Morgan dollars from her birth year, 1884. I knew nothing about wear and cleaning, just that having four Morgans was really cool. These I was careful with, and they're in the back of my Morgan album marked "heirloom," so that they will not be liquidated if it ever becomes necessary to do that and I'm not able to point them out. Then I found a 43-P Jeff in change (which I still have; I was so excited), and my parents bought me some coins, including an absolutely beautiful set of uncirculated, unadulterated steel cents. People marvel when I show them these, and tell them that they look almost exactly like they did in 1972, nearly fifty years ago.

But the coin that started it all for me was the darkened Barb dime.

I love this story, Jonathan.  What an amazing find and an even more amazing story, my friend.  My starter coin, the 1947 Maple Leaf Canadian Small Cent just came in my change from buying an ice cream bar in my school's cafeteria when I was 8.  Your story kicks my story's behind considerably lol

On 12/15/2021 at 9:08 PM, Mohawk said:

… But I just got hired for a good paying job yesterday that I start on January 17, so that may be closer to being a reality for me than ever before!

Congrats on the new job.  I hope the role brings you professional and personal fulfillment… and also helps to fund your collecting goals.  Very happy for you! :golfclap:

On 12/16/2021 at 10:59 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Congrats on the new job.  I hope the role brings you professional and personal fulfillment… and also helps to fund your collecting goals.  Very happy for you! :golfclap:

Thanks for the kind words and wishes Neo!! I think this job will do all of the above....it's a pretty good position with a great company.  I'm very excited for the opportunity......and I do have my eye on that 1954 Canadian $1000 bill, I must admit :devil:

Edited by Mohawk

On 12/16/2021 at 11:40 AM, Mohawk said:

.it's a pretty good position with a great company. 

Way to go and congratulations on your new job.  :golfclap:

1. "Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day-in and day-out." — Robert Collier

Edited by Alex in PA.

On 12/16/2021 at 1:31 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Way to go and congratulations on your new job.  :golfclap:

1. "Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day-in and day-out." — Robert Collier

Thanks for the kind words, Alex!! I really appreciate it my friend.  It's been a long search and I'm glad it's over!! I'm excited to get started with work!

For me it started with a few random IHC's that my maternal grandmother gave me along with a folding holder.   I was young; 12 or so; and set right away polishing up those poor cents with some brasso and a rag, they sure were shinny when I finished doh!.   Fortunately those cents were just some very common well circulated 1900's dates so little value or damage done.   But that set the hook and got the journey started.    I have gone through some phases where I was more active and some less active, girls kids and careers tend to get in the way at times and take priority.    I still have those IHC's and that first folder somewhere, just not too sure where anymore.

On 12/16/2021 at 9:40 AM, Mohawk said:

Thanks for the kind words and wishes Neo!! I think this job will do all of the above....it's a pretty good position with a great company.  I'm very excited for the opportunity......and I do have my eye on that 1954 Canadian $1000 bill, I must admit :devil:

Congratulations Tom, and good luck on that 1954 1000 bill. I have only a 1954 1 bill and a 1954 2 dollar bill. I have these on my wall because there just eye appealing. They have alot of creases in them,  but people that come into my house it's a good talk peice. 

20211216_134924.jpg

On 12/16/2021 at 4:01 PM, Coinbuf said:

Congrats on the new job @Mohawk  :golfclap:

Thank you for the kind words, Coinbuf and Joe!!! I really appreciate it!  I'm so happy that the job hunt is over and I'm so excited to get started.  The 1954 Canadian Landscape series is one of the most attractive currency series ever produced by any country.  I've found them to be conversation starters myself, Joe.  Most people find them to be very attractive.  I have a $2 right now and a $5 Star Note on the way.  There's nothing wrong with circulated notes at all.....my $1000 will have to be circulated.  They're quite pricey in mint state, let me tell you.  

On 12/16/2021 at 4:00 PM, Coinbuf said:

For me it started with a few random IHC's that my maternal grandmother gave me along with a folding holder.   I was young; 12 or so; and set right away polishing up those poor cents with some brasso and a rag, they sure were shinny when I finished doh!.   Fortunately those cents were just some very common well circulated 1900's dates so little value or damage done.   But that set the hook and got the journey started.    I have gone through some phases where I was more active and some less active, girls kids and careers tend to get in the way at times and take priority.    I still have those IHC's and that first folder somewhere, just not too sure where anymore.

Don't feel too bad, Coinbuf.......I took an eraser to my fair share of Canadian Small Cents as a child starting out :facepalm:.  I think many of us have done some not so great things as young collectors.

On 12/16/2021 at 4:57 PM, Alex in PA. said:

@Hinkle & @Mohawk  If you are interested in Canadian money find a friend in Alaska.  The Alaska Monetary System is flooded with it and it trades 'Even Up'.  

That's awesome to know, Alex!! I love Canadian money, coins and notes.  Here in Baja Upper Canada, I do get some pretty good chances at Canadian money, too.  You can find modern coins roll hunting, even Loonies sometimes.  And with my bank, they'll let me buy out any Canadian bank notes that they exchange for people if I want them.  But it sounds like Alaska is a treasure trove!!

On 12/21/2021 at 3:37 PM, Tarmack said:

The first coins I "collected" were 12 silver quarters someone used to pay for gas in 1982 when I was a service station cashier. I immediately knew there was something different about those coins and bought them out of the cash drawer. Asked dad about them and he told me old coins were made of silver - so I kept them. Added to them when I found silver quarters and started buying rolls when I started "stacking". Still have them somewhere in my rolls of silver quarters.

My interest in silver coins was increased when I saw advertisements for the new Silver Eagles in 1986. When I finally had some money in 1992, I bought my first Proof Silver Eagle from the US Mint - I have one of every year and still have that first one I bought. But those coins are just silver.

My first collectable coin was a 1942 Walking Liberty half dollar. In the early 2000's I was helping a friend move and they showed me an inherited collection of half dollar coins. I had never seen a Walking Liberty or Franklin half before, but immediately recognized the original design that had been used on the ASE. I told them that these were obviously "pre-65" 90% silver coins and they were worth way more than face value. The first time I held one of those Walking Liberty coins I was hooked - they let me pick one out to keep and I found a really nice 1942 (didn't know that was a very common year) - but it was bright and almost uncirculated. I still have that coin.

That coin started my Walking Liberty Danco album, and in 2019 when I was searching for a 1947D the cheapest one I could find was an IGC graded / slabbed MS64. When it arrived, I didn't think is was actually an MS64, but I still didn't have the heart to break it out of the slab. Loved holding that slabbed coin in my hand and I still have it today. I quickly learned that I liked NGC the best and that is when I started collecting NGC graded coins.

1947D.jpg

1947D Obv.jpg

I definately agree on the old silvers, recently bought most of the 50s proof sets, and I already had the entire graded 1947 set (my birth year.) yeah I’m that old! Lol 😆 

94D069B4-9DF7-4C68-B922-9D204D12BD84.jpeg

C2E11DE7-A23C-4894-9069-978784BE1A65.jpeg

CD4425B7-5E8C-43FB-9ACD-164FD28C4471.jpeg

79D90AB1-4775-464C-943E-3FA559FE59B2.jpeg

On 12/21/2021 at 11:09 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

🐓 

I can't say that's a surprise, Quintus.

On 12/16/2021 at 4:01 PM, Hinkle said:

Congratulations Tom, and good luck on that 1954 1000 bill. I have only a 1954 1 bill and a 1954 2 dollar bill. I have these on my wall because there just eye appealing. They have alot of creases in them,  but people that come into my house it's a good talk peice. 

20211216_134924.jpg

Mohawk I have these two in pretty good condition.

also some Chinese and one Bulgaria, Cayman, and Mexico

59D5C5C7-ACC3-4C12-A479-D40A3F821042.jpeg.f32dcc972ba161bda524f0838844fbf0.jpeg

64FDD813-C14C-47AE-BB06-EDC18D6DD0A1.jpeg

3473036A-5AAC-4230-B8A1-69858797B162.jpeg

FCBFB0B6-F0B7-40C2-A4AB-7614D7324A6C.jpeg

BC54C0CC-F13A-4FC0-BD3C-B2385493489C.jpeg

404B6DEA-8CE2-45C0-BC89-AC99F4EE7980.jpeg

Very nice, Bill, each and every one.  This is exactly what I love about currency.......it's so colorful, there are so many great designs from all over the world and so much of it is very affordable.  I've found that even countries who have very bland and boring coins often have some colorful and enjoyable banknotes, which makes it more fun and interesting to build an international collection, IMHO.  Thank you for sharing those (thumbsu

On 12/15/2021 at 9:08 PM, Mohawk said:

But I just got hired for a good paying job yesterday that I start on January 17

Good luck brother!!  hope this job will find you much joy and excitement.. not to mention the extra $$ to buy more coins ........ :) 

The first coin in my collection was an 1881 Carson City Morgan Silver Dollar.  It was given to me when I was 10 years old (1967) by my grandfather after I completed reading a book about Wyatt Earp and the OK Corral gunfight.  My grandpa gave it to me because it was minted in the same year in which the gunfight took place in Tombstone.  By some miracle I held on to it and in about 1980 when I began to collect coins it became the flagship of my collection.  I have since had it graded by PCGS and they graded it as MS-63.  I am very proud of the coin - it's sentimental value for me is far greater than it's monetary value.

1881 CC PCGS MS-63 Obverse.jpeg

Wyatt Earp.jpg

Edited by caltx01