• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983-P Quarter Spitting Eagle?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

On 11/27/2021 at 10:23 PM, Keith Dee said:

Is there a 1969 spitting eagle lmao

Since it is the result of a die clash - the obverse and reverse dies coming together without a planchet in between them, it is possible for there to be a variety like this any year.

I also have ones of other years. This is the oddest die clash I have. It’s a double spitting eagle and down between the wing and branch there are two more lines. I noticed on most of my spitting eagles they will have a die clash on its left wing “eagle facing you”. As shown on the photo in the next post is a 1967 with die clash under beak, one from tip of arrows to the eagles right wing and one on its left wing. 6427AA3A-9985-4EC6-A052-144B359B24C4.thumb.jpeg.6e7f5dff6a978522ca435b4d64f91795.jpeg

8F1300D0-BE32-4BC0-985E-F60C9F4900AC.jpeg

On 11/27/2021 at 11:32 PM, Just Bob said:

Since it is the result of a die clash - the obverse and reverse dies coming together without a planchet in between them, it is possible for there to be a variety like this any year.

As Bob said there can be many variations. If the hub tilled in the clash the curve would be in a slightly different location so yes there can be many of these out there. The question I would think is, it will only be worth a premium if it were on a AU, BU ,MS or Proof coin. All the coins I have seen posted are very worn and are worth Face value IMHO. I see stuff that is just plane junk for sale on the internet. YouTube hype does not help and It makes me sad that some one new to collecting will buy the coins thinking that it is something special when it is not. I think it makes it difficult for the good dealers to sell there stuff.  I save any worthy variety's until I run out of space to store them because I like odd coins,       

On 11/30/2021 at 5:42 AM, J P Mashoke said:

As Bob said there can be many variations. If the hub tilled in the clash the curve would be in a slightly different location so yes there can be many of these out there. The question I would think is, it will only be worth a premium if it were on a AU, BU ,MS or Proof coin. All the coins I have seen posted are very worn and are worth Face value IMHO. I see stuff that is just plane junk for sale on the internet. YouTube hype does not help and It makes me sad that some one new to collecting will buy the coins thinking that it is something special when it is not. I think it makes it difficult for the good dealers to sell there stuff.  I save any worthy variety's until I run out of space to store them because I like odd coins,       

Like they say one man’s junk is another man’s trasher and a coin is only worth what a collector will pay for it. I can see your point on the ridiculous prices for error coins that are junk online. I can relate to your frustration on that. But OP simply asked if his/her coin was a spitting eagle. I don’t believe he was trying to sell it. I was confused myself because I to thought the 1983P Spitting eagle was something sought after because of this I’ve read awhile back https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/3480/Spitting-eagle-1983-P-quarter/

Granted finding one in a high mint state as possible is the key but having a 1983P in near mint state is good enough for some collectors. I’m sorry but for any new collectors getting into the hobby should probably do their research and ask questions before buying a coin thinking it’s something it’s not. Some people use the term coin collecting as just that. It’s not always I got to have the most shiniest expensive coin in my collection🤷🏼‍♂️

On 11/30/2021 at 5:42 AM, J P Mashoke said:

You want to see a real die clash being sold on the internet? Like there’s some serious clashing on this penny 🤣

7ABEAF05-1DBF-4F32-B1ED-FEDF9CB4B36E.png

477D16BE-C985-4B53-B6CD-BA5E7F92D959.png

On 11/30/2021 at 8:14 PM, Keith Dee said:

Here’s the reverse so you actually can see it’s the real deal. Oh and I couldn’t fit it in on my last post😂🤣

2CEFBB2B-7B96-4176-89ED-E29C2CA1A269.png

Wow , struck through with a Nail set maybe.