• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How about a good old guess the grade thread!

14 posts in this topic

For this thread the subject is a GSA Morgan graded by NGC.   I doubt this will be that much of a challenge but it seems slow around here this week.   Some closeups and the full holder shots too.

1884CC-obv.jpg

1884cc-rev.jpg

1884CC-GSA-obv.jpg

1884CC-GSA-rev.jpg

Edited by Coinbuf

This is actually a great coin for a "guess the grade" post. The marks on the cheek and breast (focal points) make most of us think 63, but the fields are nice - especially on the reverse. The pictures show the marks prominently, but the coin may actually look much better in hand. If it came back higher than a 64, most of us would think "overgraded," but, if the eye sees it differently than the lens sees, it may have graded 64+ or even 65.

On the other hand, the numerous rim hits and the fact that not a single letter, numeral, or star escaped without a scratch may have kept the grade low.

It's a good-looking Morgan, though, and I am thinking that it probably looks much better in hand than the pictures allow. (I am still sticking with my guess of 63, though.) Looking forward to the reveal.

Edited by Just Bob