• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 Morgans Starting to Ship
1 1

89 posts in this topic

On 10/23/2021 at 7:22 PM, VKurtB said:

But it just looks, I dunno, dead and uninteresting?

So it looks like basically every modern commemorative since the 1990 Eisenhower when the mint perfected the lifeless surface look. 

On 10/24/2021 at 1:03 PM, gmarguli said:

So it looks like basically every modern commemorative since the 1990 Eisenhower when the mint perfected the lifeless surface look. 

Yeah, pretty much. Nary a hint of cartwheel luster. And the legends and stars are not sharp. They’re fake looking. OTOH there is so much detail on the eagle’s breast feathers that they look tooled. I can hardly wait to see how badly they screwed up the Peace dollar.

We’ve reached Beijing nirvana. Chinese fakes are nicer than real ones.

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/21/2021 at 7:40 PM, VKurtB said:

Cool. My CC privy just hit my card. Thanks for doing this. My kid will probably end up living in Denver, … PENNSYLVANIA. Turnpike exit 286.

PM sent

On 10/24/2021 at 2:05 PM, VKurtB said:

We’ve reached Beijing nirvana. Chinese fakes are nicer than real ones.

Sorry to hear that especially after all the hype put out.  I long ago became disillusioned with the US Mint.  I think it was the Old San Francisco Mint Dollar that did it for me.  $40.00 at the Mint and 3 months later $35.00 and dropping on EBay.

I received my D and S coins today.  They look nice, but not like the originals, seem like more of a burnished strike rather than a circulation strike, not sure what impact the change in composition had.

I got CC, O, D, and S today. CC's are nicest, the rest are nice. However, one of the O's has what looks similar to counting machine damage, but does not affect tops of lettering, just space between the lettering. What do you think caused this? Damage on blank?

IMG_3127.jpg

IMG_3128.jpg

IMG_3129.jpg

On 10/26/2021 at 11:14 AM, Mohawk said:

The worst part about them to me is actually those "CC" and "O" privy marks......man, do those look stupid!! 

I didn't get any so I can't be critical except to say that I didn't like that WW2 Privy Mark and, as a collector of CC coins' I would have hoped for something more outstanding than a Privy Mark.  Hope everybody who did get theirs all get an MS 70.

Was there anything that says they couldn't strike the old style CC mint mark?

Edited by Alex in PA.

EBay  Buy It Now as we speak

2021 Morgan P Mint = $150.00 and up.

2021 Morgan D Mint = $122.00 and up.

2021 Morgan S Mint = $120.00 and up.

2021 Morgan CC Mint = $398.95 and up NGC MS 70 Presale

2021 Morgan CC Mint = $399.99 and up PCGS MS 70 Presale

Edited by Alex in PA.

Kurt is correct, there is no cartwheel appearance whatsoever. These are totally satin. Looking close up, the fields have the look of a modified snakeskin as seen in the modern cameos. The design is similar the the original, but somehow it lays on the coin differently. It's hard to explain, the lettering, stars and devices just have a different look, almost like the coin is made from a cast.

RIWhite_2021Morg_PrivyCC.jpg

RIWhite_2021Morg_PrivyO.jpg

I'll withhold judgment until mine arrive late this week and early next week.

I really loved my American Eagle Uncirculated 1 oz. silver coin that came a few weeks ago, and I'm hopeful these will please me as much.

Mark

On 10/27/2021 at 1:59 PM, Alex in PA. said:

I didn't get any so I can't be critical except to say that I didn't like that WW2 Privy Mark and, as a collector of CC coins' I would have hoped for something more outstanding than a Privy Mark.  Hope everybody who did get theirs all get an MS 70.

Was there anything that says they couldn't strike the old style CC mint mark?

I'm definitely not a fan of the whole privy mark thing, but I think that the fake mint mark ones on the Morgans are even worse than the WW2 one.  The Morgan is an iconic coin.....anyone remotely involved with coins knows them and knows what one should look like, and that extends to the mint marks, too.  Those privy marks are just sad, and no substitute for the mint marks on the originals.  The Carson City and New Orleans Mints don't exist anymore and haven't for well over a century in both cases.  I'd say that if they couldn't actually strike coins there nor find some kind of a legal loophole to put those actual mint marks on the coins, they should have just done P,D,S and W.  While I know that West Point played no role in the Morgan Dollar's history, at least they could have put a real mint mark on a Morgan struck by them and not a goofy privy mark that looks like an egg with a letter or letters incused into it.  

On 10/27/2021 at 6:35 PM, Mohawk said:

The Morgan is an iconic coin...

Totally agree with your statement.  I fell in love with the Morgan Dollar when I was 12 years old and my dad gave me his 'Pocket Piece'.  I thought it was the most beautiful coin I ever saw.  Second is the Walking Liberty Half Dollar.  Why our Mint, in the most advanced country on the Earth, cannot come up with some really great coins I'll never know.  

On 10/27/2021 at 6:35 PM, Mohawk said:

put those actual mint marks on the coins,

Exactly.  They are the United States Mint and should be able to do what they need to sell a quality coin even if means begging Congress.  In 1900 the Philadelphia Mint accidentally (?) sent bags of Morgan Dollars to the closed Carson City Mint who put the famous CC Mint Mark on them.  Finding their error the then transferred these now Carson City Mint coins to New Orleans where the over stamped the O on them.  So, in my opinion Philadelphia could have stamped CC and O right then and there.  And I also don't know why they had to make it gray looking.  

On 10/27/2021 at 7:14 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Totally agree with your statement.  I fell in love with the Morgan Dollar when I was 12 years old and my dad gave me his 'Pocket Piece'.  I thought it was the most beautiful coin I ever saw.  Second is the Walking Liberty Half Dollar.  Why our Mint, in the most advanced country on the Earth, cannot come up with some really great coins I'll never know.  

Exactly.  They are the United States Mint and should be able to do what they need to sell a quality coin even if means begging Congress.  In 1900 the Philadelphia Mint accidentally (?) sent bags of Morgan Dollars to the closed Carson City Mint who put the famous CC Mint Mark on them.  Finding their error the then transferred these now Carson City Mint coins to New Orleans where the over stamped the O on them.  So, in my opinion Philadelphia could have stamped CC and O right then and there.  And I also don't know why they had to make it gray looking.  

The U.S. Mint has been screwing up for a long time and doing very stupid things.  This was their chance to do something great and they screwed it up on many fronts.  The privy marks are my big issue, but the overall appearance is very bland and, as you said, grey looking.  I've only seen the privy marked ones, so I can only comment on those.  Maybe since the D and S coins were actually struck at those mints and aren't just Philly coins with a fake mint mark, maybe they'll look better.  I've noticed that D mint circulation coins actually tend to look nicer than Philly ones.......maybe this will hold true for the Morgans.  There's still the Peace Dollar as well......maybe they did a better job there, too.  But I will say this....I think they missed some opportunities by only striking the Peace at Philly and doing no West Point coins.  Though I don't really collect U.S. coins, I am a native New Yorker.  I really would have been on board with a 2021 W Peace or Morgan Dollar and I would have been in the market then.  In 2016, I did buy one of the Standing Liberty Quarters because of the W mint mark.  I freely admit it. It's one of the only U.S. coins I own and I really do love it.  

Edited by Mohawk

All I can say is that I'm soooooo glad I did not buy any of those, Kurt was spot on when he said it makes a Chinese counterfeit look good.    The one good thing about them is now hopefully the hoopla and endless threads on these will end quickly.

Got my "CC" yesterday. Very odd surfaces. I almost want to call them pickled. They look finely pitted. Just odd. 

The most curious thing about these are the box. The Mint used black ink on a black box for the Mint logo and United States Mint wording. It is almost impossible to see. 

On 10/29/2021 at 12:25 PM, gmarguli said:

Got my "CC" yesterday. Very odd surfaces. I almost want to call them pickled. They look finely pitted. Just odd. 

The most curious thing about these are the box. The Mint used black ink on a black box for the Mint logo and United States Mint wording. It is almost impossible to see. 

You might have an error box. Could be worth big money!

My D, S, CC and O coins arrived today. 

I find them beautifully struck (flawless to my old eyes), but somehow lacking the depth of a real Morgan dollar in nice condition.  They're coldly perfect, but not very interesting.  

Alas.

Mark

On 10/29/2021 at 4:44 PM, 124Spider said:

My D, S, CC and O coins arrived today. 

I find them beautifully struck (flawless to my old eyes), but somehow lacking the depth of a real Morgan dollar in nice condition.  They're coldly perfect, but not very interesting.  

Alas.

Mark

Zackly.

Well, I wanted to get the entire set but could only manage to "win" 3 each of the P, D, and S. I think I will pick one nice one of each to keep, one for my father for Christmas, and sell the rest to maybe break even. I contemplated just selling them all and buying genuine morgans with the profit...might still go that route, who knows. Good to see some of the old timers still in the fight. 

On 10/30/2021 at 3:28 PM, Alex in PA. said:

The prices I've seen on EBay really surprised me.  $85.00 at the Mint and $130.00 on EBay.  Not as outrageous as I expected.

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense since the mintage is the same for all varieties. 

On 10/30/2021 at 4:35 PM, mtnstyne said:

the same for all varieties. 

I just got these off EBay.  Lowest price and up:   I really expected much higher.

Morgan S & D    =  $119.00

Morgan P            =  $125.00

Morgan CC         =   $174.95

Peace                  =   $159.99

Edited by Alex in PA.

On 10/29/2021 at 11:25 AM, gmarguli said:

The new type 2 ASEs have the same type of box. Black on Black.

On 10/30/2021 at 4:21 PM, Lem E said:

The new type 2 ASEs have the same type of box. Black on Black.

… eyesore on eyesore.

I swear that the crappy quality coming from the U.S. Mint has me strongly considering only buying U.K. and Swiss from now on.

Edited by VKurtB