• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Palmetto State Quarter
1 1

27 posts in this topic

Hi again Cecelia,

What you are seeing is because your coin was struck with dies that are near the end of their useful lives.  This deterioration can cause the coins struck from such dies to look strange sometimes, but the coins from them aren't worth any premium.  

On 10/18/2021 at 11:30 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Yes.

If you're looking for DDs, or error coins in general, here are a few good resources to read up on before you continue your hunt and to use while looking. DDs in the wild are very rare, DDs that are actually worth a premium are even rarer, Worthless doubling, well, there is tons of that out there. The trick is to learn how to differentiate between them and these references will help you get there. Good Luck. (thumbsu

Part IV. Die Errors: (error-ref.com)

Variety Vista Home

Wexler's Coins and Die Varieties (doubleddie.com)

United States Categories | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com) 

I see these and I can see the DD in some of my coins I will just have to take better pictures. Thank you for the info.

I think your picture's are fine the die is not fine, it is worn out making the devices disfigured it is called  Die Deterioration Doubling it happens a lot. But keep looking I roll hunt all the time and see this every day.   

On 10/18/2021 at 2:50 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I think your picture's are fine the die is not fine, it is worn out making the devices disfigured it is called  Die Deterioration Doubling it happens a lot. But keep looking I roll hunt all the time and see this every day.   

Thank you,gets kind of frustrating,you think you have something then your bubble gets burst.

On 10/18/2021 at 5:52 PM, Cecelia R. Valverde said:

Thank you,gets kind of frustrating,you think you have something then your bubble gets burst.

Ya I know what ya mean DD are not that easy to find the way they mint coins is different now than back in the old days. I have to look at the coins in so many ways and cross reference with the links that Mike posted all the time. I always keep hunting, you do find some cool stuff once in a while like die clashes and strike through that makes up for the hunt ... and if you like coins its all good (thumbsu  LoL

On 10/18/2021 at 8:45 PM, RWB said:

One of the ugliest of the bunch -- right up there....well, down there....with Georgia.

Oh....don't forget Wyoming.  That sucker has to be the absolute worst.  I mean, who thought this was a good idea:

2007-D Wyoming State Quarter BU

"Oh....don't forget Wyoming.  That sucker has to be the absolute worst."

I'm still waiting for an explanation of why the guy on the horse (zebra ?) is carrying a serving tray with a hamburger on it? What, no fries with that?

On 10/18/2021 at 8:45 PM, RWB said:

One of the ugliest of the bunch -- right up there....well, down there....with Georgia.

Going to need a bit more explanation on this comment about Georgia, Roger.........

Edited by GBrad

On 10/19/2021 at 12:25 AM, GBrad said:

Going to need a bit more explanation on this comment about Georgia, Roger.........

What's not to like about this Quarter??? Especially since the Bulldogs are 7-0 and UNDEFEATED!!!😁

IMG_0678.jpg

On 10/19/2021 at 12:35 AM, GBrad said:

What's not to like about this Quarter??? Especially since the Bulldogs are 7-0 and UNDEFEATED!!!😁

IMG_0678.jpg

Damn good looking Quarter!!!!! Much better than the Wyoming Quarter that looks like it missed any designer input... Just MHO here.

On 10/18/2021 at 11:35 PM, GBrad said:

IMG_0678.jpg

Well, the ribbon IS covering up the Dalton coin shows.

On 10/19/2021 at 1:46 AM, VKurtB said:

Well, the ribbon IS covering up the Dalton coin shows.

Ya know.... you have one heck of a point there VKurt!!! I will have to consult with my people at the U.S. Mint to have that corrected!  How dare they!!!😁

On 10/19/2021 at 12:25 AM, GBrad said:

Much like the SC one - bland, featureless and ugly. At least they didn't select a peanut. Few of the state quarter designs rise to basic mediocrity, so GA, SC and others are plenty of company. They were popular because of state affiliations, not the artwork.

On 10/19/2021 at 10:59 AM, Jason Abshier said:

For sure Wyoming is the ugliest state quarter ! Florida , Ohio , Texas are on my list of ugly quarters as well …

Nevada tops them for most detailed worked , probably best looking one out of all state quarters 

For the ATB’s, I like the North Carolina and the Idaho.

On 10/19/2021 at 1:28 PM, VKurtB said:

For the ATB’s, I like the North Carolina and the Idaho.

But ya still can't beat the 2017 DOC, ATB Bob Ross Quarter!  

On 10/19/2021 at 9:34 AM, RWB said:

At least they didn't select a peanut.

I will have to agree with you on this point......

On 10/19/2021 at 11:59 AM, Jason Abshier said:

For sure Wyoming is the ugliest state quarter ! Florida , Ohio , Texas are on my list of ugly quarters as well …

Nevada tops them for most detailed worked , probably best looking one out of all state quarters 

My favorite State Quarter is actually Idaho:

USA Quarter Dollar "Idaho" 2007 coin value KM# 398 | coinscatalog.NET

I like it because of the Peregrine Falcon.  However, from what I know if it, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like Idaho the state though.  

On 10/20/2021 at 11:53 PM, Just Bob said:

Idaho has some surprisingly beautiful scenery, if you like mountains. 

And now, we have successfully hijacked this post. 

I have absolutely no idea how we do this Just Bob...... it just kinda happens..... BUT, with ALL due respect to @Cecelia R. Valverde, we appreciate the opportunity to help you out and do our best to explain what is going on with your coins. In the process we sometimes get sidetracked with talking about other coins of interest related to the op's opening post.  No offense intended and please join us in the fun.:)