• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of silver
4 4

2,217 posts in this topic

On 12/10/2023 at 10:01 AM, Henri Charriere said:

Very lovely rivets but I doubt they are silver. 🤣

I like how they included the name of the dealer on them. I'm debating whether or not to remove the coins and place them in 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 flips. I probably will, the rivets won't jive well with other coins. 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

On 12/10/2023 at 10:07 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I like how they included the name of the dealer on them. I'm debating whether or not to remove the coins and place them in 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 flips. I probably will, the rivets won't jive well with other coins. 

...very typical of italian coin dealers to holder their coins in these flips, i removed them to more "friendly" flips, particularly like this coin, reminds me of the british gothic designs...some of the other italian designs from the teens r very attractive as well....

On 12/10/2023 at 8:07 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I guess the purpose of the rivets was to compress the holder to prevent marring the coin caused from movement of the coin in loose packaging? Very interesting, quite a novelty and who knows, maybe more valuable in a hundred years due to still being in “Original packaging” 🤔 such an amazing coin, so much delicate definition, I feel that the frown inspires thought!   

On 12/12/2023 at 6:49 PM, R__Rash said:

I guess the purpose of the rivets was to compress the holder to prevent marring the coin caused from movement of the coin in loose packaging? Very interesting, quite a novelty and who knows, maybe more valuable in a hundred years due to still being in “Original packaging” 🤔 such an amazing coin, so much delicate definition, I feel that the frown inspires thought!   

Absolutely correct, the rivets compress the two layers of mylar, or whatever the composit polymer is, together so that they are touching, the coin is obviously thicker than the two layers of poly and will never come close to the rivet as long as the upper and lower surfaces of the rivet are not radically different from one another, the thickness of the coin is a factor in the differential between the two parts of the rivet before a coin may contact one of the segments but it's late and I'll have to think about it more when I have time. 

I wouldn't call the "packaging" a novelty, it's pretty common for some world coins. The coins are essentially "slabbed" as far as world coins go.

One of my favorite designs, I'm putting together a set from '58 to '68. Looking for quality pieces with lavender/purple rim toning, just picked up two more that meet those qualifications. 

On 12/12/2023 at 7:40 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Absolutely correct, the rivets compress the two layers of mylar, or whatever the composit polymer is, together so that they are touching, the coin is obviously thicker than the two layers of poly and will never come close to the rivet as long as the upper and lower surfaces of the rivet are not radically different from one another, the thickness of the coin is a factor in the differential between the two parts of the rivet before a coin may contact one of the segments but it's late and I'll have to think about it more when I have time. 

I wouldn't call the "packaging" a novelty, it's pretty common for some world coins. The coins are essentially "slabbed" as far as world coins go.

One of my favorite designs, I'm putting together a set from '58 to '68. Looking for quality pieces with lavender/purple rim toning, just picked up two more that meet those qualifications. 

Novelty is probably not the correct word, I have never seen this packaging till now, thanks for sharing, I do understand the rivets not being the perfect frame for such art, but understand their purpose. 👍