• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of silver
4 4

2,205 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2024 at 9:14 AM, zadok said:

...percy would be proud of u, one of my favorites...nice even toning as well

... percy... you mean Percival??? Enquiring minds want to know! 

On 3/30/2024 at 9:50 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Thanks for the assist on this one Z. (thumbsu

I'm working on a P M type set of obv and rev designs, do you know of a list of his coin and medal designs? I have not been able to find one as of yet. 

...ill look in my notes if any other coin designs, i personally never tried tracking any his medal designs...let u know....

On 3/30/2024 at 9:50 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Thanks for the assist on this one Z. (thumbsu

I'm working on a P M type set of obv and rev designs, do you know of a list of his coin and medal designs? I have not been able to find one as of yet. 

...the only info i have in my notes...

war memorial for durban, south africa...

great seal for england...

trophy for king presented to cadet corp of british empire...

british empire exhibition medals 1923, 1924...

king's trophy medal r.n.a....

nobel medals...

mond medals...

egypian coin obverses king fuad...

irag coin obverse king feisul...

...he also worked pre ww1 in london n post ww1 in paris from 1914-1924 for various medal design studios...bout all i have....

On 3/31/2024 at 9:28 AM, zadok said:

...the only info i have in my notes...

war memorial for durban, south africa...

great seal for england...

trophy for king presented to cadet corp of british empire...

british empire exhibition medals 1923, 1924...

king's trophy medal r.n.a....

nobel medals...

mond medals...

egypian coin obverses king fuad...

irag coin obverse king feisul...

...he also worked pre ww1 in london n post ww1 in paris from 1914-1924 for various medal design studios...bout all i have....

Updating my list now, I was missing a few of those.

Percy was a busy guy, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a list of his designs used on coinage or one of medals produced. Going to check with the RM and see if they have anything.

On 3/31/2024 at 9:59 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Updating my list now, I was missing a few of those.

Percy was a busy guy, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a list of his designs used on coinage or one of medals produced. Going to check with the RM and see if they have anything.

...i believe his coinage designs were minimal...he was more of a designer for medals, trophies, works of art...later he was prominent in designing architectural works i.e. interior facades for hotel, banks commercial n possibly govt bldgs...especially in the areas of metal designs...i didnt see written comments but i believe he shied away from those submissions that required govt commission acceptance/approval...time consuming, red tape n probably lower commissions...early on he sought out submissions for medals, awards, trophies etc but went more commercial after his reputation was established....

On 3/31/2024 at 12:16 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I'm thinking the number is going to be between 24-36 obv and rev designs by PM on coinage, current list is up to 20 or so. I'm not planning on picking up examples of the same design used on different denominations or by different countries, the number of pieces would be huge if going that route. The unknown is the number of unmarked designs such as the British '37 three pence reverse and Figi six pence turtle rev, pieces with no initials will be more difficult to identify and add to the list. 

image.thumb.png.4b8810d9b210d85736055b4629d955e5.png

...ur endeavor is compelling n exhaustive, im not sure that there is a comprehensive list of either his coinage or medal designs...short of discovering a personal list of his own ur list may be the definitive one...i agree a collection of just his coinage designs n not a collection by denominations would suffice, n even that would be ambitious.... 

On 3/31/2024 at 12:16 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I'm thinking the number is going to be between 24-36 obv and rev designs by PM on coinage, current list is up to 20 or so. I'm not planning on picking up examples of the same design used on different denominations or by different countries, the number of pieces would be huge if going that route. The unknown is the number of unmarked designs such as the British '37 three pence reverse and Figi six pence turtle rev, pieces with no initials will be more difficult to identify and add to the list. 

image.thumb.png.4b8810d9b210d85736055b4629d955e5.png

...i think u r correct, after looking further his coinage designs were considerably more than i first realized... british honduras, iraq, jamaica, new zealand, hong kong, jersey, cyprus, mauritius...im sure u have more.... 

On 4/3/2024 at 12:05 PM, zadok said:

...i think u r correct, after looking further his coinage designs were considerably more than i first realized... british honduras, iraq, jamaica, new zealand, hong kong, jersey, cyprus, mauritius...im sure u have more.... 

Nice, a couple more for the list. (thumbsu

I have a handwritten list going right now, if I get time this weekend I'll start entering everything into a spreadsheet and do a deep dive to see if I can add to it. After that, it's coin finding time.

I may start a Journal here to track progress, post the list, images, etc.. We'll see...