• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021offset Lincoln
1 1

38 posts in this topic

Definitely a keeper, and a very good find.  Usually minor off-centers aren't that valuable, but after the switch to horizontal strike presses and the additional quality control they implemented off-centers after 2001are MUCH scarcer.

I don't think a rank amateur like me would dare suggest any impropriety on your find, but could not the same or similar effect be achieved by simply gluing two such Mint State 2021 coins together, correctly aligned but off center, with the aid of Crazy Glue or Gorilla Glue, or other such product?

(I'd like to hear the Pedigree vs. Provenance combatants, @Alex in PA. @RWB @VKurtB and the Great @zadok's take on this.)

There seem to be two issues here. Not only is there an off center strike, but the obverse seems paradoxically even more off center than the reverse is. That might indicate a die coming loose.  

6 hours ago, Kevin Simpson said:

I'm no pro but I think that if you look closely at the pictures you can definitely see the etching lines from the die on the obverse. There's isn't anything that even remotely suggests gluing two coins together. 

You haven’t met QA yet  the newbie stomper. He’s harmless 

394C9D32-EC53-4086-B1F6-10BE24875D26.png

40 minutes ago, James Zyskowski said:

You haven’t met QA yet  the newbie stomper. He’s harmless 

394C9D32-EC53-4086-B1F6-10BE24875D26.png

Judging by the disciplinary violations lodged against me as displayed prominently on my bio page for the whole world to see, the moderators would beg to differ. Their advice is reasonable: "Be Nice, or Be Gone."

QA. With all your knowledge I’m so sorry someone has hurt you so bad that instead of being able (at70) to joyfully share  your gift with new and old members you chose to play mind games. Such a waste. I truly believe that there are a lot of people here who would support blanket forgiveness if only you could find the power to overcome your pain or learn to direct it properly.  Hoping you take this with an open mind 

4 minutes ago, James Zyskowski said:

QA. With all your knowledge I’m so sorry someone has hurt you so bad that instead of being able (at70) to joyfully share  your gift with new and old members you chose to play mind games. Such a waste. I truly believe that there are a lot of people here who would support blanket forgiveness if only you could find the power to overcome your pain or learn to direct it properly.  Hoping you take this with an open mind 

And to think 🤔 over the past two years every member has caught me when I am in the best of moods.  I don't believe anyone has seen my bad side.  In fact, I doubt I even have one.  

Oh quit it. Read your posts your all over the place. And I really figured it was a waste of time to say anything. Poor soul(why the crying about being reprimanded didn’t see anything on your bio other than your posts)

14 hours ago, Kevin Simpson said:

I'm no pro but I think that if you look closely at the pictures you can definitely see the etching lines from the die on the obverse. There's isn't anything that even remotely suggests gluing two coins together. 

It's not two pieces glued together, doh! looks legit to me. I think it was more of a hypothetical question. Hang on to it, looks like it could be more unique than I initially thought. 

That is one lucky find. It's a Kevin Keeper for sure.   _________ I repeat, QA is a good man, rubs some people wrong, mostly misunderstanding. I've always liked somewhat eccentric people, you get to see the 'other side' opinion wise, although with QA  a shirt pocket dictionary can come in handy, maybe even a sandwich.  

Thank you all for your incite to this coin. It helps us  rookies with all the information you share. I'll put this one away and maybe one day it may be worth something to someone, who knows maybe even sooner. Thanks again 

11 minutes ago, Kevin Simpson said:

Thank you all for your incite to this coin. It helps us  rookies with all the information you share. I'll put this one away and maybe one day it may be worth something to someone, who knows maybe even sooner. Thanks again 

Yeah, that's a legit error. Definitely make sure you don't thumb it, and keep the surfaces protected. You might already know that, but if you do, you understand why I mention it. That cladding is frail enough as it is, and it's quite possible the zinc is exposed in some spot.

1 hour ago, Kevin Simpson said:

Thanks JKK, I've already put it in a holder to protect it.

Do you think I should send it in to be graded and so it's in a sealed capsule?

No, I don't think that is necessary--sounds like you've done all you need. I'm pretty sure that the encapsulation is not perfectly airtight, though I could be wrong, but in any case the cost of protecting it that way would greatly dwarf any monetary value. It's a good find.

42 minutes ago, Kevin Simpson said:

Thanks JJK, I'll take your advise and I'll leave my money in my wallet then. You know "a penny save is a penny earned" 😀

I always ask myself: how much coin could I buy for the $30-60? That, for example, will buy a fairly nice Greek Ionic copper, and some silver denarii. Or, if I were actively looking for US coins, plenty of MS silver could be had for that. A real nice half cent, too, or a MS IHP. Nothing against slabs where they make sense--Trade dollars, for example, and much gold--but part of it is learning when they make sense.

11 hours ago, ronnie stein said:

That is one lucky find. It's a Kevin Keeper for sure.   _________ I repeat, QA is a good man, rubs some people wrong, mostly misunderstanding. I've always liked somewhat eccentric people, you get to see the 'other side' opinion wise, although with QA  a shirt pocket dictionary can come in handy, maybe even a sandwich.  

Thank you very kindly.  I always appreciate a compliment from an astute observer of people.