• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any idea

25 posts in this topic

Does any one know what this error is an what happend to it an how to find out value of it I had 2 people tell me 2 different things on it 1 said it's nothing other said it's a good one an offered me 10 bucks for it an I know when that happens usually worth alot more but just tring to find out value an how happend back of it is fine just the one side if any one can help out a new guy thanks 

20210518_200224.jpg

Would definitely take the $10. But if it was a good friend wanting it I would feel bad about charging that much for it. Would probably just give it to them. It's just a common coin badly damaged. 

6 hours ago, Brian ab said:

... other said it's a good one an offered me 10 bucks for it an I know when that happens usually worth alot more ...

Or, possibly the person offering does not have much experience with error coins.

Yours is damaged, as others have said. Spend it wisely.

Well that's funny because it's not a bad coin it's a planchet error coin all pitted on copper core an zinc nickle layer covers all damaged spots an can clearly see that if bad damaged coin you would see copper but you don't see copper if don't know don't give people bad advise just don't answer it an that can from heritage auction house us mint error expert 

1 hour ago, Brian ab said:

Well that's funny because it's not a bad coin it's a planchet error coin all pitted on copper core an zinc nickle layer covers all damaged spots an can clearly see that if bad damaged coin you would see copper but you don't see copper if don't know don't give people bad advise just don't answer it an that can from heritage auction house us mint error expert 

If I understand correctly, you're saying that the copper core was pitted and when they added the Copper/Nickel clad layer (not zinc nickle) it filled in the the pits leaving the depressed regions, Correct?

If you understand manufacturing process, you’ll know that you’re explanation can’t happen.  You start with 3 layers that are bonded and rolled together.  The outer clad are too thick to sag into any defects in the copper core layer, it will remain flat as it’s rolled.  Even after striking, it wouldn’t look like your coin

I am also very skeptical that an error expert from Heritage Auctions would tell you that this coin was an error.  They know too much about the minting process to make that basic mistake.

The only thing I see is a coin that suffered environmental damage and circulation wear and tear.  Nothing more.

2 hours ago, Brian ab said:

If your such an expert why are you asking us?

3 hours ago, Brian ab said:

Please, please, please send it to Heritage and let us know how that works out for you.  

Narrator:  Unfortunately, the cost of the postage was higher than the value of the coin.  

Might be a good idea to send a link to this thread to Heritage and see which of their "experts" said this was an error! I suspect he wouldn't have a job for long.

37 minutes ago, l.cutler said:

Might be a good idea to send a link to this thread to Heritage and see which of their "experts" said this was an error! I suspect he wouldn't have a job for long.

Maybe Mark Feld will see this and show it to his co-workers. He may not be the error expert, but I bet he works closely with him/her.

Edit: I sent him a message, in case he wants to comment on this thread.

Edited by Just Bob

8 minutes ago, Brian ab said:

I told u I posted here first an I posted there 2nd an got answer hour later.

You did? Where did you tell us that? Certainly not here in this thread. Go back and look at what you typed above. You never said anything about what you posted first or second.

If you could post a link to the other coins that look like yours, that have sold on Heritage, Great Collections, or another legitimate site, I would be happy to look at them.

Edited by Just Bob

On 5/20/2021 at 5:32 PM, MarkFeld said:

Just Bob, thank you for making me aware of this thread.

The coin simply looks badly damaged, not like an error. And to put it mildly, I have a very hard time believing that anyone at Heritage who answers coin inquiries as I do, would call it an error.

Brian ab, please either post the email from Heritage here or send it to me by private message. I look forward to seeing it.

When is it appropriate for me to holler, "Liar"? I tremble in ill-concealed anticipation.

Edited by VKurtB

16 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

When is it appropriate for me to holler, "Liar"? I tremble in ill-concealed anticipation.

That’s not for me to say. But I hope he was confused or misunderstood and that he wasn’t intentionally lying.

On 5/20/2021 at 11:03 AM, Brian ab said:

it an that can from heritage auction house us mint error expert 

If you are saying that the "Heritage auction house US Mint error expert" told you it was a real error (I SERIOUSLY doubt that), sell it to Heritage for big bucks, or the $10, because it is just a damaged coin.

On 5/20/2021 at 6:07 PM, Brian ab said:

An can't admite your wronge there is a bunch of photos of other ones that have sold an mint error smart

Where are these pictures? Etsy?

3 hours ago, JT2 said:

yes sir i got id

Oh c’mon. You just can’t “admite” when you are “wronge”, righte?