• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fun with USPS & eBay
1 1

13 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I've noticed that in recent months when an item is overdue for delivery by the USPS and then finally arrives late the estimated arrival date on eBay is altered to show the actual arrival date. For example, I ordered something May 6, and the estimated delivery date on eBay was shown as May 10. Then, when it finally got here today, May 17, the estimated delivery date magically had changed to May 17! I tried to open the tracking history on eBay, and I got an error message. When leaving feedback, eBay asked me if the item arrived on time, and I selected NO. I wonder if this will magically be changed to YES.

[In all fairness, feedback pertains to the seller and some things are beyond their control. For example, whatever method you choose to send a shipment to NGC with, as far as the shipper is concerned it is delivered when it arrives at their postal box however long it takes NGC to acknowledge it. And turn-around time is so variable that estimates cannot be relied on.]

9 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[In all fairness, feedback pertains to the seller and some things are beyond their control. For example, whatever method you choose to send a shipment to NGC with, as far as the shipper is concerned it is delivered when it arrives at their postal box however long it takes NGC to acknowledge it. And turn-around time is so variable that estimates cannot be relied on.]

Except for the fact that NGC recently updated their turnaround times to reflect the time between receiving the item in their facility and the time it is actually opened and entered into the system.  

Turnaround Times

I've had the same thing happen on mine. It would update and change the delivery times. Then if you take the tracking number and put it in usps website it will tell you its still on the way but arriving late. 

[ON THE OTHER HAND... I had a shipment, recently, arrive on my doorstep within 48 hours of leaving Europe. (Has the Concorde been resurrected?) And then began receiving text messages saying it had been shipped, here's the Tracking Number and you can expect delivery in 7 to 10 days.  Incredible...]      😉

On 5/17/2021 at 2:20 PM, DWLange said:

When leaving feedback, eBay asked me if the item arrived on time, and I selected NO. I wonder if this will magically be changed to YES.

This is only going to ding the seller's stars for shipping time. A category that doesn't even belong in 'feedback' anymore, since the shipping delays started long ago.

6 minutes ago, thebeav said:

A category that doesn't even belong in 'feedback' anymore,

Agreed.  One package from Sarasota, FL in 48 hours another in 7 days.  I don't blame the USPS personnel with everybody under the sun doing mail order.  Our little Post Office has had a sign out for close to a year now saying 'Help Wanted - Now Hiring'.  Good luck with that one with Unemployment Comp off the scale.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

My issue is with the duplicity, not the causes. If the USPS is unable to deliver on time it should not be altering the data to hide that fact.

1 hour ago, DWLange said:

My issue is with the duplicity, not the causes. If the USPS is unable to deliver on time it should not be altering the data to hide that fact.

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, DWLange said:

If the USPS is unable to deliver on time it should not be altering the data to hide that fact

I must have missed something.  How is the USPS doing this?  I have delays but mainly because I did something wrong (ie:  request a signature when going to a PO Box).  See below:

Tracking Number: 

Scheduled Delivery by

FRIDAY14 MAY2021by
3:00pm

Status

Delivered

May 14, 2021 at 1:46 pm

ANCHORAGE, AK 99519 

Get Updates 

Delivered

4 hours ago, thebeav said:

This is only going to ding the seller's stars for shipping time. A category that doesn't even belong in 'feedback' anymore, since the shipping delays started long ago.

Sellers only get dinged if they ship the package outside their stated handling time. I say 2 days handling time with a cutoff at 11 AM. So if you pay at 9 AM on Monday, I have to show that the package was mailed by end of day Wednesday. Doesn't matter is the package takes one day or one month to arrive to the buyer as long as tracking shows that I shipped within my stated handling time. 

2 hours ago, DWLange said:

There is no "on time" delivery for the package. Outside of Express Mail, it's all an estimate.

eBay is just updating their estimated delivery date. I'd be more upset if they kept the estimated delivery date knowing it was wrong rather than update it to a more likely delivery date. Would it make you feel better knowing the package should have been delivered 5 days ago or that based on its current location it'll be delivered in 2 days? 

[I wonder if you would be surprised to learn that a train in New York City is officially "late" only if it arrives in a station six (6) minutes after its scheduled arrival time.]