• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Numismatic "Philisophical" questions

29 posts in this topic

My club is looking for some numismatic "philisophical" questions to put in our online newsletter with answers from our members. We've come up with a few, but I'd like to see what more knowledgeable members have to ask. We're not looking for some "If a man sees a circulated proof nickel in cashier's drawer, do you tell him it is counterfeit and swindel out of them?" but more along the lines of "If you slab a coin that ends up with a grade worth 6 figures and you were hoping for a 65, do you sell it and complete the collection or keep it?"  

Any and all comments, questions, jokes are appreciated :)

When you have a coin professionally graded, is there a correct grade or does the coin have a correct "grade range?"  And if a coin has a correct grade range, then it is entirely possible to submit the same coin more than once, have the coin receive different grades, and both grades be correct.  What I am talking about is the inherent subjectivity in grading colliding with incremental grading.  We have all done it.  You look at a coin and you simply can't decide if the coin is gem grade (MS65) or just miss gem (MS64+), and your might change your mind depending upon how you view the coin, lighting, magnification.  In this example, the incremental grade range might be MS64.7 to MS65.2.  Depending upon who the graders are at the time of grading, the coin can grade either MS64+ or MS65, and both grades are correct.

I was instantly drawn to this post because I realise countless philosophical questions do arise from coin collecting. One of the most worrying for me is why more males than females collect coins. I’m also confused by the perceived differences between “conserved” and “cleaned” coins. Numismatists are not bothered in the least if they notice a slabbed coin has been preserved. However, it’s obvious the same valuable conserved coin would be regarded by them as a worthless cleaned coin if I cracked it out if its slab.

Edited by S3R3NDIPITY

1) do you strive to have the highest quality collection possible, or do you try to fill all of the holes with acceptable but not necessarily the best coins in order to complete your collection?

2) if a coin drops in the ...

3) would rather have a coin that tells an interesting story or one that has a high market value?

4) are you more of an investor or a collector? 

5) if you could only buy/have one coin - what would it be and why? (Not looking for uber high value coins - but artistic design or one that has a significant story).

After the tons of Chinese fakes finally settles down, possibly being more millions of them than genuine coins, should we start a grading service to grade only the counterfeits? The backup delay in getting returns shouldn't be over 10 weeks.----L30-laughable, E40-extra cheesy, A45-awful, AU Details-Genuine, etc..=== Should a bulk submission grader report that they are having an affair with a dealer?

Edited by ronnie stein
!

8 hours ago, Zebo said:

1) do you strive to have the highest quality collection possible, or do you try to fill all of the holes with acceptable but not necessarily the best coins in order to complete your collection?

2) if a coin drops in the ...

3) would rather have a coin that tells an interesting story or one that has a high market value?

4) are you more of an investor or a collector? 

5) if you could only buy/have one coin - what would it be and why? (Not looking for uber high value coins - but artistic design or one that has a significant story).

[Hmm, why do I feel I know Goldfinger1969's answer to question (5)?]

Where does honesty end and being negative begin? If you aren’t troubled by that line when dealing with younger or less experienced collectors, I don’t know how to help you.

7 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Where does honesty end and being negative begin? If you aren’t troubled by that line when dealing with younger or less experienced collectors, I don’t know how to help you.

I thought you got lost or something down in bama. Hadn't heard from you in a few days. 

3 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

I thought you got lost or something down in bama. Hadn't heard from you in a few days. 

Busy as a one-legged man in a rump kicking contest getting everything set up in the Southern Estate. The Mac is installing MacOS 11.0.1, “Big Sur”. Biiiiig update.

Edited by VKurtB

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Busy as a one-legged man in a rump kicking contest getting everything set up in the Southern Estate. The Mac is installing MacOS 11.0.1, “Big Sur”. Biiiiig update.

Hmmm.. Thats the problem.. it's a Mac...:whee:

Most states require disclosure of all known impediments and defects to buyers before a real estate transaction. Is there an "implied disclosure" required in numismatics?

13 hours ago, ronnie stein said:

Really? A 1933 $20 St Gaudens  in the highest grade. .

I thought it was a Saint, but the 1907 High Relief.  

The 1933's need a rescue operation from Fort Knox.  Emailed some woman named " Pusssy Galore" the other day, awaiting a response. xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Do you consider well known error or pattern coins to be part of a complete collection (i.e. expensive ones like the 1913 Liberty nickel or even common ones like the 1937 3-legged nickel or 1922 no-D cent)?

Is collecting bust coins by die marriage a symptom of a mental disorder? (this is a rhetorical question).

How do non-circulating legal tender coins fit in with your collecting?

On 12/12/2020 at 10:01 PM, RWB said:

Most states require disclosure of all known impediments and defects to buyers before a real estate transaction. Is there an "implied disclosure" required in numismatics?

Nope. You're on your own.. Caveat emptor!

21 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Do you mean in the concept of information asymmetry, or in the deliberate withholding of information by sell from buyer - possibly in response to direct questioning?

40 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

It's called "as is".. I have renovated many houses bought "as is".. buyer accepts all responsibility..

19 minutes ago, MAULEMALL said:

It's called "as is".. I have renovated many houses bought "as is".. buyer accepts all responsibility..

Yep. Ive bought vechicles like that also. No guarantee on it. May need a little work 

27 minutes ago, RWB said:

Do you mean in the concept of information asymmetry, or in the deliberate withholding of information by sell from buyer - possibly in response to direct questioning?

As I cannot recall the last time I had personal contact with a seller, I am unable to answer your question.  The waters are shark-infested and, recognizing my shortcomings and irrational obsessing, I rely on TPGS and recognized authorities to do my thinking for me -- effectively shielding me from the distressing things and disturbing commentary regarding events on the periphery. And for all that, I have to be prepared to act decisively lest an opportunity be lost. Here is what passes for full disclosure on the internet:  "Rare Lincoln cent. Scarce, only one left! $5,000. (Accompanied by a photo of a circulated penny with a common date.)  What makes it rare? Well, you don't see any in circulation, do you? And so it goes... I am a risk taker. Bottom line: I buy from people I do not know and send money to people I have never met, and so far, have been incredibly fortunate. Scams abound. I read everything I can get my hands on with antennae fully extended. This is not for the faint of heart. I am only as good as my last buy.

"New!"

"Improved!"

"Highest Prices Paid!"

"This product does not cure or relieve symptoms of any disease, illness or injury. It has not been evaluated or approved by the Federal Food and Drug Administration for safety or efficacy. Some persons may be allergic to one or more components of this product, and if you die that's just too bad for you."

On 12/13/2020 at 12:30 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

What's the answer, I honestly don't know !!??  xD

I see you've given your emoji power of attorney to speak on your behalf. Good show!