• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making an investment?
2 2

152 posts in this topic

Investing vs personal taste/collecting is 2 different worlds, one of which I am constantly in. I enjoy both worlds and one feeds the other.
          If you have gaps in your Eagle proof sets  then fill away and enjoy them now and with those they may enjoy them in the future with you.
 I have a taste for gold proofs and other types but it can be pricey, hence I sell some things to offset my personal wants/needs...I really really like Mexican Gold 50 Pesos for both future investment and the beauty of them...these I'll keep until I'm no longer on this planet, then my kids/grand-kids will be like...wth  haha

It's great that you've started going to counseling to work through these challenges. Have you considered looking for local groups or clubs that align with your interests? That could be a good way to meet like-minded people in your area.

You can check joywallet.com. It's a fantastic resource for managing your finances and finding amazing deals on everything from groceries to travel. It's definitely worth checking out if you're looking to save some money and live more frugally, and maybe use those savings to treat yourself to some fun experiences or activities that could help you feel more connected to the world around you.

Edited by ievaantenna

On 4/28/2020 at 11:19 AM, Rummy13 said:

Well the Government sent me my check and my better half told me I can use it on my coins.  So here is my decima, I can;

A. buy one rare coin, say maybe an 1909 S VBD or something like that.

B. Buy all the Silver Eagle Proof and Silver Proof Sets to complete those collections

I was wondering what long time and more knowable collector think. I plan to pass my collection to the next generation. I don't have many slabbed coins but a lot of albums. All the proof and mint sets from 1955 - 2020 .

Hi Rummy, I would pick a nice coin or coins that you like gold, silver, nickel or copper. Something you can build a set on if you want to. Or just take it out and look at it and say wow that is a cool looking coin. I think shopping for the coin is 50% of the fun. Please buy from someone you can trust. ;)   

Why do I get the feeling the posts the last few weeks from new members seam like computer generated answers ?

if you are investing the silver bullion coins are just that they will appreciate or decline with the silver prices.  I would go with a really good 09-s VDB or any other classic coin.. Take for instance i bought mine for around $1500 10 years ago and now it is around 3K .  pretty sure that silver and gold did not have that return........  if that is what you are looking for.  but if you would just ike a bunch of beautiful coins you cant go wrong with the AE proofs gold or silver

Edited by JT2

I am not a seasoned collector and certainly not an investor in coins.  However, if it were me, I would pick 1-2 coins depending on my budget, and I would focus on the rarity and condition.  Key dates in historic collectible series would be my focus.  This way you can get that one nice coin that you otherwise could not afford.  Coins of smaller values can be picked up over time as you have the budget for them.

I hope you enjoy collecting coins. Do you have any plans to invest money in coins? Perhaps you want to create your own website where you will make a catalog with rare and old coins that you will sell at auction? If I had a large coin collection, I wouldn't be able to help but think about this possibility. I've been collecting stamps for a while, but I'm sick of it. I read sad articles about real estate housing market crash several times. So I'm thinking about investing in something more sustainable. I thought that real estate would always be the most reliable investment. But was I wrong? What do you think? Share your opinion if you want.

Edited by korrywoltz

On 10/18/2022 at 9:40 AM, J P M said:

Why do I get the feeling the posts the last few weeks from new members seam like computer generated answers ?

On 10/28/2022 at 7:24 AM, giuliettapaul said:

Good idea. I would also buy a coin

On 10/28/2022 at 2:58 PM, korrywoltz said:

I hope you enjoy collecting coins. Do you have any plans to invest money in coins?

I'm not familiar with pricing in small denomination U.S. coins....but I'd be very afraid to pay a huge premium to face value for a penny or nickel or coins like that.  I'm always afraid of those coins replicating baseball cards and/or stamps.

My preference would be to buy a gold or silver coin, maybe at a 25% premium (gold) or very special year with low pop (silver).

On 10/18/2022 at 12:47 PM, JT2 said:

I would go with a really good 09-s VDB or any other classic coin.. Take for instance i bought mine for around $1500 10 years ago and now it is around 3K ....

And to think my dear old mom blew a fit when I told her I bought mine for $200. from Stack's in the mid-Sixties. [I get the distinction between collecting and investing, but the truth is neither directly benefits the individual doing it.] You start collecting and continue to collect because you are unwilling (or unable) to stop. You don't sell anything unless you're upgrading. Then Death intervenes. And the simple, sad, sorry, truth is what happens then is someone else's call.  Did YOU benefit?  No. In a sense, in the end of all your posturing and decision-making, much of it life long (and inexplicable) the bum on the Bowery is your equal.

My personal nitemare:  I sell in contemplation of my "imminent" mortality, and my doctor calls and gives me the Good News! What do you mean everything's fine?  I'm going to live? For how much longer??? Surely, you jest!

Holy cow, the Roosters!  You mean I didn't have to divest at all? What did I do? What did I do?  :roflmao:

@Oldhoopster:

Funny you should mention history.  I just came across something I never heard of. We are all familiar with the sword of Damocles, but how about the Diogenes syndrome?  This is a pattern of hoarding----marked by treating our things better than we do ourselves----as associated with advanced age.

My father's book collection consisted of duplicate copies of every title he treasured. One he utilized for everyday reference, the other was a part of his prized library. My brother kept the chassis of a Chevrolet Corvette on blocks--at a ridiculous monthly rental cost, at one point far surpassing anything he could have derived from selling it. Some people rationalize finances and cannot (or will not) adjust their priorities.

You make a valid point. One can enhance the quality of one's life and broaden one's body of knowledge through collecting----or be held hostage by it.

[Note:  Diogenes of Sinope lived out of a barrel.]

On 10/29/2022 at 1:10 PM, EagleRJO said:

@Oldhoopsterit is interesting how much history you learn by researching certain coins you may be interested in collecting, and little factoids like where the term "two bits" for a quarter came from.

Troo dat!  I offered the term "sawbuck," but a highly-regarded member of the Forum dismissed it as being beneath the profession... Sniff, can't win for losing.  doh!

On 10/31/2022 at 1:40 PM, tj96 said:

I would never use the words investment and coins in the same sentence, no less in a coin forum.  But I understand your point.

Amen. I purchased some gold coins mostly because I liked the way they looked, but also convincing myself they were an "investment" and they have summarily dropped like a rock recently. Luckily, I purchased some last year at a low point, so they are still up, but others I purchased not long ago at what I thought was a pivot point after the spike leveled are barely a break even and probably somewhat of a loss with the further spot drop and price spread now. Not really such a good "investment" ... but I still love the way they look. :grin:

On 10/31/2022 at 2:41 PM, EagleRJO said:

Amen. I purchased some gold coins mostly because I liked the way they looked, but also convincing myself they were an "investment" and they have summarily dropped like a rock recently. Luckily, I purchased some last year at a low point, so they are still up, but others I purchased not long ago at what I thought was a pivot point after the spike leveled are barely a break even and probably somewhat of a loss with the further spot drop and price spread now. Not really such a good "investment" ... but I still love the way they look. :grin:

You're singing my song.  When I buy coins today, my first thought "for a split second" is INVESTMENT......then reality sets in!!  

When I was a kid back in the 70's & 80's, I bought one mint and proof set each year from the mint thinking.....GREAT INVESTMENTS!!....  Wrong!!!  I can't give them away today!!  :facepalm:

On 11/2/2022 at 8:36 AM, J P M said:

Ya no big win with coins unless it is something outlandish and you already have a buyer drooling over it. 

You just described the essence of being a successful coin dealer. You have access to a coin that some OTHER guy is going to just lose his sh** if he doesn’t own it. Rinse. Repeat.

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/2/2022 at 2:37 AM, VKurtB said:

It is impossible to invest in coins. It is only possible to speculate in them. They are a crappy investment. About 80-90% of people who attempt to invest in coins lose their @$$e$.

Q.A.:  This coming from a guy who's got his entire life's work in flips...

🐓:  Thanks for the encapsulations, Quintus! That ought to put us ahead by a nose.  :baiting:  :roflmao:

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Emojification

On 11/2/2022 at 9:45 AM, VKurtB said:

You just described the essence of being a successful coin dealer. You have access to a coin that some OTHER guy is going to just lose his sh** if he doesn’t own it. Rinse. Repeat.

Yes, I keep searching yard sales and antique stores for for that long lost Rooster QA needs............No luck yet....:whistle:

On 10/28/2022 at 10:16 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'm not familiar with pricing in small denomination U.S. coins....but I'd be very afraid to pay a huge premium to face value for a penny or nickel or coins like that.  I'm always afraid of those coins replicating baseball cards and/or stamps.

My preference would be to buy a gold or silver coin, maybe at a 25% premium (gold) or very special year with low pop (silver).

Yes my nickels or Morgan's are not a investment for me. Maybe for my kids some day. I always try to buy at 25 to 30% of retail and I get lucky most of the time but you do get that hard to find coin that always puts you over into the 50 to 75% range. In the end it is just enjoyment of collecting that is important. No returns for me if you don't sell anyway ......LoL

On 11/2/2022 at 8:46 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Q.A.:  This coming from a guy who's got his entire life's work in flips...

🐓:  Thanks for the encapsulations, Quintus! That ought to put us ahead by a nose.  :baiting:  :roflmao:

Most of those 2x2 housed coins have little monetary value, but the value received researching and attributing them and understanding them is too much to calculate. 

And for me, researching doesn’t come from asking a forum questions. I was raised differently. 

Edited by VKurtB