• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's Token Tuesday! Post 'em if you got 'em.
3 3

474 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2023 at 9:29 AM, J P M said:

I know it is not Tuesday but at my age I do things when I am thinking of them or I will forget to. We are in Wolfeboro on Lake Winni NH we took the grandkids to the arcade in Laconia .

NH Token.jpg

NH Token Reverse.jpg

...say hi to QDB for me....

Hard to believe the "Live Free, Or Die" state has Times Square and Coney Island in New York City, and every other state and country in the world beat by its claim, but if my most recent visits to both locations locally are any indication, the boast is true. All the old-fashioned "penny" arcades are long gone. FUN SPOT... Nice denticles!  (thumbsu

On 8/29/2023 at 8:41 PM, Captainrich said:

The 38mm clay gambling tokens below won a second place exhibition ribbon at the ANA's Worlds Fair of Money earlier this month in Pittsburgh. The exhibit was titled, "Gaming Chips of Pittsburgh's Max Klein."

I'm curious whether any NGC Forum members attending the convention saw the exhibit (the exhibit also contained many other Max Klein artifacts, such as bottles, whiskey glasses, playing cards, advertising trade cards, etc.).

Major Max Klein was the leading wholesale liquor dealer in Allegheny, Pennsylvania (now known as Pittsburgh's North Side) during the late 19th Century. He was born in Rhenish Bavaria in 1843 and emigrated to the U.S. in 1859.
In 1861, Klein enlisted as a Private in Company F of the First Iowa Calvary. He was honorably discharged five years later as a Major, serving under General Custer.
In 1870, he established residence in Pittsburgh and started a wholesale liquor business at 52 Federal Street. He shipped his products, including Silver Age Rye, extensively to the East, West and South, according to the 1892 book "All Sorts of Pittsburgers," by Arthur G. Burgoyne.
There were also a lot of illegal gambling halls in Pittsburgh at the turn of the century and Klein did not hesitate to exploit this additional vice. In addition to personalized playing cards, Klein issued gaming tokens in four colors (red, white, blue, and tan).

I didn't get the chance to attend but would have loved the opportunity to have viewed these and the exhibit. Did you exhibit these at the WFM? If so congratulations. 

On 8/29/2023 at 8:41 PM, Captainrich said:

The 38mm clay gambling tokens below won a second place exhibition ribbon at the ANA's Worlds Fair of Money earlier this month in Pittsburgh. The exhibit was titled, "Gaming Chips of Pittsburgh's Max Klein."

I'm curious whether any NGC Forum members attending the convention saw the exhibit (the exhibit also contained many other Max Klein artifacts, such as bottles, whiskey glasses, playing cards, advertising trade cards, etc.).

Major Max Klein was the leading wholesale liquor dealer in Allegheny, Pennsylvania (now known as Pittsburgh's North Side) during the late 19th Century. He was born in Rhenish Bavaria in 1843 and emigrated to the U.S. in 1859.
In 1861, Klein enlisted as a Private in Company F of the First Iowa Calvary. He was honorably discharged five years later as a Major, serving under General Custer.
In 1870, he established residence in Pittsburgh and started a wholesale liquor business at 52 Federal Street. He shipped his products, including Silver Age Rye, extensively to the East, West and South, according to the 1892 book "All Sorts of Pittsburgers," by Arthur G. Burgoyne.
There were also a lot of illegal gambling halls in Pittsburgh at the turn of the century and Klein did not hesitate to exploit this additional vice. In addition to personalized playing cards, Klein issued gaming tokens in four colors (red, white, blue, and tan).

MaxKleinchips.jpg

MaxKleinpdf.jpg

...impressive, kudos...i did not but my son did, he is working on a future display n observes looking at the winning displays to see what was successful n what wasnt...he commented on ur set being of much local interest....

On 9/26/2023 at 7:57 PM, J P M said:

Big and thick copper or brass

Token 1.jpg

Token 2.jpg

token.jpg

I don't know if they use the term piedfort (strong foot) to describe this or not, but it would be good to determine the composition which I suspect may be bronze. Probably one of the thicker tokens ever posted on this thread. It exudes scarcity. Great find!  (thumbsu

On 9/26/2023 at 8:54 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I don't know if they use the term piedfort (strong foot) to describe this or not, but it would be good to determine the composition which I suspect may be bronze. Probably one of the thicker tokens ever posted on this thread. It exudes scarcity. Great find!  (thumbsu

Here ya go.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/exonumia177061.html

On 10/18/2023 at 8:05 AM, Mr_Spud said:

Here’s some Civil War Tokens I purchased recently. The first 2 are using coin images used with permission from eBay seller Steve Hayden where I inserted the pictures into my template. The PCGS one uses images from a Trueview and the others are from another seller (used with his permission) where I also inserted them into my templates.

IMG_9909.jpeg

IMG_9957.jpeg

IMG_0679.jpeg

IMG_0690.jpeg

IMG_0699.jpeg

IMG_9926.jpeg

IMG_9912.jpeg

IMG_9886.jpeg

Those are gorgeous.

Steve has quality tokens, that's for sure. His auctions often bring prices that other sellers can't get.

On 8/20/2023 at 9:46 AM, zadok said:

...say hi to QDB for me....

And the folks at Stack's Bowers squirreled away at 61 Main St.  🤣

On 10/24/2023 at 8:00 PM, Qktbird said:

Hello folks, I'm new here and to grading. I focus on 1893 World's Fair/Columbian Exposition tokens, medals and tickets but collect just about anything from that fair. I had 20 tokens graded back in May for my first ever submission and I have 40 more in for grading now. Here are 2 rarities that I just picked up and plan to send in for grading in the next group I submit. Hope you like them!

Unlisted-118 - pic01.JPG

Unlisted-118 - pic02.JPG

Unlisted-119 - German Commission Medal - pic01.JPG

Unlisted-119 - German Commission Medal - pic02.JPG

Very nice. I've a few WCE pieces, it's a collecting area I've thought about getting into more seriously but currently only dabble. I look forward to seeing more of your collection. 

On 10/24/2023 at 8:20 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I had a really good friend send me a token that was one of the early owners of the brickyard my pawpaw on my moms side worked at. He also sent me a brick that my pawpaw very well could have made. Im so grateful to him for that  That is a very special gift. I plan on making some kind of display out of it . It was known as the Louisville Firebrick Co the time he worked there. Its hard to read in the picture due to the lighting but in hand its very easy to read.Compress_20231024_190039_9095.thumb.jpg.9ce9b43e52422ae8588347a8ed40bdc8.jpgCompress_20231024_190053_3097.thumb.jpg.d4f72352f21744866d9ccbb952a36538.jpgCompress_20231024_190025_5425.thumb.jpg.cc835aaff409bcb16ce0489768d3d98f.jpg

Nice HH! That brick will look cool in a nice display with the token and maybe a couple pics. Have you had luck finding any additional tokens or any wins at auction?

On 10/25/2023 at 6:14 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Nice HH! That brick will look cool in a nice display with the token and maybe a couple pics. Have you had luck finding any additional tokens or any wins at auction?

I seen several olive hill brickyard tokens on Ebay the past few days. Thats where my pawpaw on my dads side worked. I was unsuccesful of winning any. Most went for more $ than I could afford. There was a couple I could have probably bought but I had to work late and the auction was over on them by time I checked my phone. I was a little dishearted but thats the way it goes. I may find more one of these days. It was pretty cool because that seller had a whole set of them. Also missed out on 2 more just like them only in brass a few days before. Once again didnt get off work in time to bid. Its been crazy at work lately. Weve had some very long days.