• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's Token Tuesday! Post 'em if you got 'em.
3 3

474 posts in this topic

On 10/25/2023 at 5:57 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I seen several olive hill brickyard tokens on Ebay the past few days. Thats where my pawpaw on my dads side worked. I was unsuccesful of winning any. Most went for more $ than I could afford. There was a couple I could have probably bought but I had to work late and the auction was over on them by time I checked my phone. I was a little dishearted but thats the way it goes. I may find more one of these days. It was pretty cool because that seller had a whole set of them. Also missed out on 2 more just like them only in brass a few days before. Once again didnt get off work in time to bid. Its been crazy at work lately. Weve had some very long days. 

Just curious on how you are doing with your collecting goals so far, there's plenty of time to wait for the right piece to come along. Lots of OT might help beef up the ol' kitty for coins and tokens. ;) 

On 10/25/2023 at 9:31 PM, Mr_Spud said:

And one more 🌞

IMG_0216.jpeg

I went after one of those recently. It sold for about $100 more than my bid.

If token prices keep climbing, I may have to move into collecting stamps.:(

On 10/26/2023 at 12:53 PM, Just Bob said:

I went after one of those recently. It sold for about $100 more than my bid.

If token prices keep climbing, I may have to move into collecting stamps.:(

Tokens will continue to get scarcer and rise in value. That's a good sign.  It means your collection is becoming increasingly more valuable.  And, as Martha Stewart used to say, "that's a good thing."

On 10/26/2023 at 6:18 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Just curious on how you are doing with your collecting goals so far, there's plenty of time to wait for the right piece to come along. Lots of OT might help beef up the ol' kitty for coins and tokens. ;) 

So far I havent had the chance to buy anything lately. Had a few breakdowns around the house. Ive tried for a couple different tokens but the bids went way over my budget. Here before long ill be back, in business. Been wanting to work on my quarters. Plan on starting back on them soon. 

On 10/26/2023 at 3:36 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Ive tried for a couple different tokens but the bids went way over my budget.

Tokens are going strong right now, collectors looking to buy are feeling the pinch as prices soar and good material hits the market. :whatthe: 

On 10/26/2023 at 3:59 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Tokens are going strong right now, collectors looking to buy are feeling the pinch as prices soar and good material hits the market. :whatthe: 

I noticed that very quickly. lol i cant believe how much some of them are going for. 

On 11/7/2023 at 2:01 PM, Redline68 said:

Oswego 1860 Obv Rev.jpg

That is a nice one I would probably try to acquire since it's from my home state, which is how I collect tokens.  It's likely already been mentioned, but I use TokenCatelog.com to search for info on tokens.  Any other good token sites?

https://tokencatalog.com/token_record_forms.php?action=DisplayTokenRecord&td_id=104215&inventory_id=279083&td_image_id=151332&attribution_id=105091&record_offset=1

I recently purchased this token from Steve Hayden, one of the leading token dealers in the country. He is currently selling a collection of lumber company tokens that contained over 14,000 pieces. Several of the members of this forum are following this sale, and at least two have won tokens in this auction. I have been bidding like crazy, but have not been able to out bid the competition very often. Prices are really strong right now.

This token is unlisted in the MS token book, and the company is not listed on the MS Sec of State website. The following information is from Ebay seller Armagosa1:

A June 1917 Draft Record exists for Clinton Kelley Nixon, born June 25, 1890, listed as “Manufacturers Of Lumber”, self employed and living at Paden, Mississippi. 

C. K. Nixon is listed as “Saw Mill” at Paden, Mississippi in the 1918 Dun. 

The 1919 Bradstreet lists J. F. Nixon & Brother as “General Store” and C. K. Nixon as “Planing Mill” at Paden. 

The 1920 Census notes Clinton K. Nixon (age 29) as “Overseer, Own Lumber Mills” with his home at Paden, Tishomingo county, Mississippi. 

C. K. Nixon doesn’t show up again until 1923 in the D&B’s as “Mfr Lbr & Saw Mill” at Paden.

The Oct 15, 1921 The Southern Lumberman includes a notice under Tishomingo, Mississippi: “October 11th the C. K. Nixon sawmill, near Paden, was destroyed by fire at a late hour last night.  All lumber on the yard was saved.  This is the third sawmill fire in this section within a month”. 

IMG_20231022_115513396.jpg

IMG_20231022_115524661.jpg

On 11/14/2023 at 11:17 PM, Just Bob said:

I recently purchased this token from Steve Hayden, one of the leading token dealers in the country. He is currently selling a collection of lumber company tokens that contained over 14,000 pieces. Several of the members of this forum are following this sale, and at least two have won tokens in this auction. I have been bidding like crazy, but have not been able to out bid the competition very often. Prices are really strong right now.

This token is unlisted in the MS token book, and the company is not listed on the MS Sec of State website. The following information is from Ebay seller Armagosa1:

A June 1917 Draft Record exists for Clinton Kelley Nixon, born June 25, 1890, listed as “Manufacturers Of Lumber”, self employed and living at Paden, Mississippi. 

C. K. Nixon is listed as “Saw Mill” at Paden, Mississippi in the 1918 Dun. 

The 1919 Bradstreet lists J. F. Nixon & Brother as “General Store” and C. K. Nixon as “Planing Mill” at Paden. 

The 1920 Census notes Clinton K. Nixon (age 29) as “Overseer, Own Lumber Mills” with his home at Paden, Tishomingo county, Mississippi. 

C. K. Nixon doesn’t show up again until 1923 in the D&B’s as “Mfr Lbr & Saw Mill” at Paden.

The Oct 15, 1921 The Southern Lumberman includes a notice under Tishomingo, Mississippi: “October 11th the C. K. Nixon sawmill, near Paden, was destroyed by fire at a late hour last night.  All lumber on the yard was saved.  This is the third sawmill fire in this section within a month”. 

IMG_20231022_115513396.jpg

IMG_20231022_115524661.jpg

I'm glad Steve moved off of Michigan tokens for now, me and my wallet needed a break. Fantastic token and information as always, congrats on the NEWP!

On 11/15/2023 at 5:19 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I'm glad Steve moved off of Michigan tokens for now, me and my wallet needed a break. Fantastic token and information as always, congrats on the NEWP!

Yeah, I've been feeling the same way about Mississippi tokens.  Although, I have to say that I have been enjoying seeing all the unlisted tokens that have been appearing. I've added several entries to my token book. Not just unknown issuers, but also unlisted denominations of existing tokens. I'm not sure if anyone is putting this new information on Tokencatalog.com, but, if not,  I will post them on there after the auction is over. I've also been keeping a record of prices realized, not just of this auction, but anything else I can find on the web. That's something I used to do several years ago, but got out of the habit. That will be more information that I can put on the website for future collectors to use.

I've been able to keep my spending under control, more or less. I decide, when a token is posted, how much I'm willing to pay. I'll put in my bid, and if it gets outbid, I just let it go. I have been the under bidder on far more auctions than I have won. Being outbid by just a dollar sometimes makes me want to put in one more bid, but, so far I've been able to resist the urge.

I am watching one now that I really want. It's the last one I need to complete a set from a particular mill. I've only seen one other one come up for auction, and that was over a year ago. I got out bid on it because I wasn't paying attention. (I actually know where one other example is, but Tony Chibbaro has it, and he doesn't want to sell it out right. He wants to swap it for a South Carolina token. How could I possibly find a South Carolina token that Tony doesn't have already?) I'm changing my strategy and watching this one without bidding. I'm hoping that the prices remain low so that I can put in a bid at the last minute. We will see how that goes.

On 4/23/2024 at 3:19 PM, Rod D. said:

Image 3 of 3

I object!  The word "NOT" is of a different font and appears to have been shoe-horned in as an afterthought.  And, if "not" a one-cent piece, what is it?  I feel this "token" was intentionally posted to inadvertently expose me as the rank amateur I never disputed I am.  Just Bob's carom shot?  Who knows?   🤣

Edited by Henri Charriere
Addition of emoji.