• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My hunt for "The Great White Whale" has ended ...

45 posts in this topic

After a two year quest, I have finally finished my type sets as defined by the NGC registry. (expect for an example of a slabbed American the Beautiful quarter :grin: ) This 1796 No Stars quarter eagle was offered at the Baltimore auction, and I was fortunate enough to win it. :banana:

The picture in the catalog and on the auction web site makes the coin look a little more crusty that it actually is. This picture provides a more accurate depiction of the piece. Still it fits in well with the rest of my early gold, and is actually better than a number of less rare pieces I have. After this purchase I’m going to be “on the shelf” for while. I might end up divorced if I don’t. ;)

Here is the link to the piece in my registry set.

1796 No Stars Quarter Eagle

1796NOST250O.jpg1796NOST250R.jpg

I did quite about of research on this piece before I went to Baltimore to inspect it. I found out that it has last been sold at auction in 2007. At that time it was in an NGC MS-61 holder. Now it's in an NGC MS-62 holder. hm I feared that that extra grading point would push it out of my reach, but the price this time was very close to what it brougnt in 2007.

I was also hoping that three factors would work for me:

1. NGC not a PCGS holder

2. No CAC sticker

3. Very light adjust marks in the hair on the obverse.

Maybe they did ... maybe they didn't, but this part of my thoought process as I approached the bidding and pricing process for this piece.

That is SOOOOOO AWESOME and exciting, Bill!! I am VERY glad for you.

I think of the same types of things when I purchase, sometimes they have an effect and other times they don't.

BIG CONGRATS to you! :applause:

Bill, I just spent the last 30 minutes or so looking at

"Bill Jones' complete gold coin type set".

What a fantastic accomplishment! WOW! (worship)

It's one huge history lesson there....

Impressive (thumbs u

OP

Excellent coin - $2.50s are much under appreciated!

Capt. Ahab was less successful with his whale:

"... to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee."

—Moby-'Richard', Ch. 135

Bill, WOW WOW WOW, that coin is almost ridiculously nice! My instant and immediate gut reaction was MS-62, and I was more than delighted to find that NGC so graded it.

FANTASTIC COIN, my friend!!!!!!

Bill,

Excellent commentary on this coin in your Registry Set description.You managed to blend the history of this coin with your individual search to fill an open niche in your collection in a very interesting way.

Congratulations on a very noteworthy accomplishment.

Carl

I wonder if there is a correlation between NGC's market perception and the prices realized? It appears to me that a 2012 NGC62 garners less respect that a 2007 MS61 esp considering that the market has been tracking up since then too. This coincides with my overall impression that NGC has been tracking down and the American coin market is becoming a one horse show where Darkside is still an open TPG market.

Mr. Jones and it will hence forth always be Mr. now, I took a stroll over to NumisMedia for a peek see at the valuation of this early minted coin and it said, I quote, "IF YOU HAVE TO ASK, YOU CANNOT AFFORD THIS COIN!"

Enjoy this addition to your type set and be very, very proud of this accomplishment.

Crazy good pickup. I think "pickup" is not the right term for a coin like that, but for lack of a better term. Just an incredible coin and achievement.

If your wife does divorce you, I can be available. :cloud9: