• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP, Cameron Kiefer

110 posts in this topic

Another truly sad day for the coin world

Cameron Kiefer committed suicide today

He was a young numistist of the year and had a bright future in the coin industry

He was having financial difficulties that obviously became to much for him to bear . And burnt some people ATS

For all the people calling for blood in their posts beware what you wish for :(

Exchanged quite a few emails with Cameron and always found him to be incredibly helpful . A truly sad day

RIP Cameron

Well, for now it is a rumor and has not been confirmed...but as we all know, some rumors ring true. Truly saddened to find this info out, I did not know him personally, I did however for the past few years avoided any dealings with him. The bullion trade is volital, selling PM's you don't have in hand for a set price is dangerous.

Cammy RIP

If true, my heart goes out to his family. A young man with a wife and young child. Nothing is so bad to warrant this tragic ending. :(

I only have a vague notion of who he is. Wasn't he a prolific poster ATS?

Link to an announcement of his suicide?

If true, it adds onto a too-long list of deaths of numismatic friends in 2010.

If this is true, it is really sad to hear. I never knew Cameron, but he did post here once in a while. Didn't he work for ICG at one time?

Chris

I met Cameron at a Houston Money Show when he was a ICG grader. Very nice young man that I later bought a few coins from off the BST board. This is very sad and tragic. We have lost way too many good friends that enjoyed collecting and selling coins this year.

Well, if this is true it is certainly sad for his family and our small community. I recall when he was named YN of the year a few years back, and it seemed as though he had everything going for him, but I guess things change.

It's certainly been a difficult year, we've lost too many folks, many of them folks who left us way too soon. What a sorry year 2010 has been, I can't wait for it to end!

This is very, very sad news... Regardless of his recent business practices, it breaks my heart that he chose this as his way out. :(

He was incredibly knowledgeable, always willing to help out, and quick to answer questions. As a young YN, he was a role model to me and it made my day the times when he went out of his way to encourage me. This is what I will remember him by...

Hayden

If anyone can actually confirm this, it would be a service to many. I know I am rarely here, but I stopped by as every post that mentions his name ATS is pulled immediately. Those of us who have casual relationships with Cameron are not in the loop.

Drunner

Unfortunately, it is true... This might border on intrusive, but if you have a Facebook account you can view the profile of Bryce Kiefer:

"R.I.P Cameron. You are the best bro anyone could ask for!! See you on the other side."

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001062990721&sk=wall

and Lauren Kiefer:

"RIP Cameron Kiefer. I love and miss you. See you on the other side."

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=764834390&sk=wall

:(

Hayden

Ys as Hayden stated...it has been confirmed by many sources near and dear to him...this just goes to show the crippling affects of depression and while on the surface he certainly had reason to be depressed I just wished he would have reached out for help....his family and little girl deserved better.....heartbreaking....

I do have facebook (hardly ever use it), and looked at the links.

So for those of us not in the know, what happened??

Cameron reportedly took his own life early yesterday morning. He leaves behind a wife and two children.

Sorry, what I mean is, what happened in this gentleman's life to cause him to take such drastic action? Suicide is a horrible, devastating way to end one's problems - horrible and devastating for the surviving family.

Hope I'm not intruding on too personal a subject :( . It's just that there has been an alarming number of deaths in our numismatic family this year, and suicide has such drastic finality.

Nothing that happens to one in this world is worth taking your life over. I hope that his immortal soul will rest in peace. My sincere sympathy and sadness for the loss of such a nice young man goes out to his family. I had bought a couple of coins from him when he used to sell over here while he was still in school. He was a nice young man and I am truly saddened to hear of his death. So many young people can not cope within our society and it is truly sad for all of us.

I was told that Cameron passed away just a little while ago and although I have not had any contact with him is quite a while, I am heartbroken.

I first got to know him over on the CU forums about 10 years ago and had the chance to talk with him at a few coin shows. I always found him very pleasant and I always thought well of him.

I wish I had known that he was in trouble, I would have done anything in my power to have helped him. Now we are all left wondering what might have been. I believe that in spite of Cameron's actions over the past few weeks, he was a good person. It sounds like he got himself into a situation that he didn't know how to get out of and wound up making some really bad choices, but I hope that is not all that he will be remembered for.

My prayers tonight will be with his family, his wife and those two little children who I am sure can't understand why their daddy isn't with them this Christmas. What a tragic thing!

I am extremely sad to hear this news, though, I never knew him at all. It is a very tragic situation, regardless of the circumstances. He must have been going through some real pain to do something so desperate. I really feel for him. I am so sorry for his family.

I tried looking ATS James, but all the threads concerning Cameron seem to have been poofed.

There is an allegation that Cameron, who was rumored to have financial difficulties from bad business decisions, had a few transaction with the folks ATS go bad. Many reasons were cited but allegedly there were a few people who became vicious in their online retaliation that seemed to effect Cameron. A person who emailed me who claims some knowledge of the situation said that the attacks could be interpreted as online bullying. Cameron became very depressed because he felt that it hurt his reputation to the point that he would be ruined as a dealer without something to fall back on since this was all he knew.

Apparently, someone ATS must be very nervous at the potential fallout of this--I know I would be if I was an executive of a company whose assets may have been a tool used for cyber bullying in this day and age. Since they have moderated postings in the past, it is uncertain that they would be able to claim a "common carrier" defense ("we just host the forums") defense should Cameron's family decide to pursue legal remedies.

The bottom line is that this is a sad and tragic event for Cameron's family. He leaves two young children who will grow up without knowing their father and a wife wondering what went wrong wondering for the rest of her life how she could have helped prevent this tragedy. My condolences to his family.

Scott

Wow, I am just speechless. I have not been posted here or ATS in a very long time. I just started lurking again and I am just truly saddened by this news.

Cameron was one of the guys in the business that I considered a good guy. In an industry full of questionable motives and business practices he always seemed to stand head and shoulders above the crowd.

To me he was a boy scout. We use to talk for hours about coins and life when he use to come to the Long Beach show. He was above reproach in my eyes. So much so I couldnt believe he had never visited a gentlemen's club. And on one trip to Long Beach I promised to take him on a tour of the local scenery. I dont think he wiped the smile off of his face for days.

I dont know anything about his business issues others have referred to. I only knew Cameron as a decent human being and a shining star in this business. I am truly saddened for his family and for the business. He had a bright future ahead of him.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and two children at this time and how difficult it must be. I know the tragedy of suicide having had two people close to me choose the same option. It leaves you with a hole in your soul that can never be closed.