• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP, Cameron Kiefer

110 posts in this topic

I am just saddened. I never knew him but just recently watched the piling on ATS and I am sure there are many there who have conflicted feelings now about what has happened. Frankly, some of the posts and posters there will be thinking tonight before they go to bed. I rarely venture over here, but have been compelled to by a desire to know what happened and all has been stifled ATS.

I have seen a few others who have passed on ATS be memorialized in sig lines and posts. In this case, a stellar numismatist who has made contributions to many has self-destructed in front of us and except for here, we can't even find out what happened.

I think it has affected me so much as I have just completed reading 20+ page historical posts of his last 2 years ATS and the problems associated with his business dealings (none of which concerned me). It was all fresh, and then pow . .the posts today.

I am one who still remembers those bright early days, the Sample Slabs, and the future that was so bright.

I never knew him, but feel his loss. We as numismatists were all a part of the good, and ultimately bad, that framed his life.

Drunner

Cameron's passing is quite sad. I had read several threads regarding Cameron and his business dealings on the PCGS boards recently and even posted in one or two of them, but I had not noticed anything that I thought was akin to cyber bullying.

Cameron's passing is quite sad. I had read several threads regarding Cameron and his business dealings on the PCGS boards recently and even posted in one or two of them, but I had not noticed anything that I thought was akin to cyber bullying.

I agree with Tom and also posted to some of the threads. While some threads had some mean-spirited posts, they were in the minority. Most of the respondents supported him and, like me, felt that he was a good guy who either got some tough business breaks or was not very good at coin dealering. I even suggested that he could use a fresh start, away from the PCGS forum.

It never occurred to me that he was emotionally fragile. In retrospect, I wish I could have somehow helped, and no doubt others feel the same.

My heart aches from news of this tragedy.

I knew Cameron, somewhat, and agree with FrattLaw that Cam seemed like a boy scout.

As with Robert and Tom, I also didn't see anything I'd consider to be cyber-bullying ATS.

Whatever the situation, this is terrible. "Talking coins" is supposed to be fun. Not this.

My condolences go out to Cameron's family.

EVP

I was just reading some of my old PMs ATS with Cameron, that brought back some memories. Quite a few made me laugh (he could be really funny), but two of them made my blood run cold in light of this week's events:

In August 2003 I had been giving him a hard time about something, just kidding around with him, and I become concerned that he was taking me serious. I sent him a PM letting him know that I was just kidding and that my comments were a joke. This was his reply:

"I don't take them serious. I would have killed myself by now if I did."

Then, just a short time later, both Cameron and I had posted responses to a thread by someone else who said he was going to take his life. Given this person's history we both assumed the guy was jerking our chains and posted remarks that I quickly realized were a mistake. I sent the following PM to Cameron (I have edited out the names of others involved):

"Cameron, ____ says ____ might be serious about this, I have edited the "____" thread, would you please do so as well. Put something there that will show concern for him."

This was Cameron's reply:

"You have to take threats like that seriously. Just think what it would feel like if we found out ____ killed himself today.

I edited and I am glad you did also."

Is there anything we can do to help out the family? For something like this to happen so close to Christmas...and his children are very young from what I understand. Truly a sad day.....

I was shocked when I heard the news. Even though I heard about some not so honest dealings. I always thought Cameron had a level head on his shoulders. Guess I was wrong. I really feel sad for hsi wife and kid.

Cameron was one of the first people I met online, and he took me under his wing, helping me move from buying just from a local dealer to the national scene. He helped me get some ANA Summer Seminar scholarships and encouraged me to submit a paper that won a PCGS essay contest. Everything he did was with great enthusiasm, a big smile, and usually a laugh. A sad day, indeed.

I really feel sorry for all his friends and family that are going to have deal with all of these busted transactions and where the money train and e-mail trails leads. Lots of honest folks still need to be made whole and it could get real real real sticky................Cammy left his family in an impossible spot. It's their mess to now clean up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I feel very sorry for them.

I feel nothing but pity for Cameron taking the cowardly and selfish way out and putting his family in position to have to sort through the ugly rubble he dumped at their front door.

Just the same............. RIP Cameron................You were way to young to die

MJ

As a YN himself and as a role model for so many other YNs, I think an endowed ANA scholarship in his name for a deserving YN would be an appropriate way to remember him for the years to come.

I am not saying that we shouldnt immediately help out his family but I think something more substantial should also be done so he will be remembered...

Is there anything we can do to help out the family? For something like this to happen so close to Christmas...and his children are very young from what I understand. Truly a sad day.....

We had a popular member die on the comic side of this forum a few

years ago. Someone suggested a forum auction of donated items and we

raised more than $60,000.

The power of the people.

Rest in peace Cameron.

Google cache is your friend . Plenty of people in this cached thread who had problems as well. Cameron was posting as recently as Sunday and saying he was trying to make everything right.

I'm resorting to posting here and the OFR due to CU's whitewashing. I didn't see anything in the CU threads that I'd call "cyber bullying", it was a pretty typical "someone ripped me off" sort of thread. I do recall at one point someone posted a link to his local police department, but again that is a standard response in a post about what appeared to be widespread fraud.

I hate that Cameron chose such a permanent solution to what could have been a temporary setback, and I feel horrible for his family and everything they will have to deal with. At the same time I don't see how anyone could blame the CU forum or specific posters there for what happened. The blame for this entire situation lies in one person's hands.

Sean Reynolds

P.S.: Adding a couple more cached CU threads: Saturday thread and Tuesday before the news hit .

MJ

Depression can be a powerful and all consuming thing . It comes to you at times when you least expect it and becomes all your focus .

Cowradly , well some think so, but you have to realise when someone is in this state they have lost much control of whats right and wrong and who gets hurt . It quickly becomes your only solution to an avalanche of problems that you can never see an end to .

This must be sorrowful beyond words for this friends and family .

A truly sad day

As others posted, those threads definitely were NOT cyber bullying -- mostly customers of CK following up on unfilled orders, and one who had a check bounce. There may well have been other customers outside of CU that he owed coins to as well.

Nobody, except perhaps those closest to him could have anticipated he would take the action he did.

Truly tragic for his wife, two kids, and family.

I think some of the comments ATS were uncalled for but ageee with others with reference to this not seeming to be a case of cyber bulling though we don't know what e-mails and PMs were exchanged so it could have been much worse then we could see simply by looking at a few threads.

Ultimately is was Cameron decision to take his own life and as a person on the edge myself 3 years ago I can completely understand how someone could do this even with a wife and kids. When a person is in the depths of depression there all consuming thought is making the pain go away...and not how will this affect my friends and family.

RIP Cameron

Google cache is your friend . Plenty of people in this cached thread who had problems as well. Cameron was posting as recently as Sunday and saying he was trying to make everything right.

I'm resorting to posting here and the OFR due to CU's whitewashing. I didn't see anything in the CU threads that I'd call "cyber bullying", it was a pretty typical "someone ripped me off" sort of thread. I do recall at one point someone posted a link to his local police department, but again that is a standard response in a post about what appeared to be widespread fraud.

I hate that Cameron chose such a permanent solution to what could have been a temporary setback, and I feel horrible for his family and everything they will have to deal with. At the same time I don't see how anyone could blame the CU forum or specific posters there for what happened. The blame for this entire situation lies in one person's hands.

Sean Reynolds

P.S.: Adding a couple more cached CU threads: Saturday thread and Tuesday before the news hit .

Wow, it's tough to know how to react.

Reading between the lines, I suspect the handling of this ATS was positively despicable.

RIP, Cameron.

Very sad news. I have known Cameron since he was a teen and I just don't know what to think or write. He was a good guy and my prayers go out to his family. I just wish I knew how much he was hurting so I could have offered him support and help.

RIP Cameron.

Sean Reynolds

Wow, it's tough to know how to react.

Reading between the lines, I suspect the handling of this ATS was positively despicable.

It really wasn't, James. Some folks were disturbed that friends and forum members were ripped off by another forum member-dealer. Blunt sentiment was expressed. There was no bullying or taunting. It was pretty much what you'd expect.

I am very sorry to hear the sad news. I lost a good friend to suicide last year and I don't think I will ever understand the depth of pain and depression that would drive one to do this to himself and his family.

Sincere condolences.

Lance.

I first met Cameron in 1999 when I worked in the ANA's Authentication Burea and he was an intern. He was a enthusiastic, energetic and ambitious YN. Over the years it was a pleasure to see him go from being an awkward teenager and novice collector to respected professional numismatist, husband and father.

Wow. That's messed up.

I really didn't know him at all beyond reading posts of his now and then ATS when he participated there. I can imagine that if the "numismatic rock star" career path I saw being predicted for and expected of him came crashing down, that would be a mighty blow to handle. I hope his widow and child have an awfully good support system in place.

I understand services are next week (to be announced in Saturday Denver Post). I believe that the obituary should also announce where donations could be made.

I will say this....Cameron never intended to be a bad guy or disreputable. He apparently got in over his head and was overwhelmed to the point that he found no way out. He wanted to solve his business problems on his own.

I'm still in disbelief that this young guy I knew when he first came to Colorado (went to his bachelor night out, wedding, multiple lunches, coin shows) could get so despondent to put a gun to his head an leave behind a wife and two kids.