• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For Those Who Just Ordered the UHR 2009 Saint-Gaudens ...

372 posts in this topic

Youser!

Amazing thing is there's a $3500 price diffference between the MS69 & the MS70 they're selling. . .

also odd that MCM is the only place that seems to have them.

I wish I could understand how, if the mint is limiting this to one coin per customer, how MCM can state "This coin is among the very few (we have submited hundreds and hundreds of them) we got back from NGC that achieved that designation" Do (certain) coin dealers have unlimited access to buy them?

I was actually looking at MCM's site the other day. Surprisingly, they've dropped the price on the MS69PL since Monday. They had been asking over $2100. There was an ebay auction for one Monday night that went for $1775, and now they've dropped their asking price to $1785 (kind of surprises me, honestly).

Bob-a-loo to answer your question: Dealers pay people to order extras - they recruit co-workers, friends of employees, etc and literally give them the money to pay for the coins + extra to keep (I've heard some dealers give $50 or $100, but I don't know exactly what MCM does).

Oh, btw hi everybody. First post.

When the mint was selling the reverse Proof gold coins a couple of years ago, dealers in my area asked everyone, including their friend’s pet dogs, to place orders for the max allowed. Everyone of those orders was guaranteed a $100 profit per set. Of course if the buyers had taken a chance they would have made much more. One dealer in my area got control of 200 reverse Proof gold sets that way.

Edited to say I did get one UHR coin from the mint. It will never grade MS-70 because it has die polishing marks in the right obverse field. I didn't send it back because I figured I'd end up with nothing. I want the coin in the orignal mint packeage and most dealers won't sell it that way. I collect the modern stuff raw except for the type coins in my registry set.

As Jpolz indicated, an NGC MS69 PL (non-ER) sold on eBay on 5/4/09 for $1775. Prior to that, the only other MS69 PL sold for $1947 (ER). At least 2 MS70 PL’s have sold for greater than $3000 with the latest one selling in 4/90/09 for $3700. I am also surprised about the difference in price between the MS69 and MS70 prooflike UHR, especially considering the scarcity of PL examples.

I have tried to inquire about the number of graded PL’s, but I have not been very successful. A large eBay dealer estimated that the number is less than 20.

Here is my MS69 PL:

Coin_340o1_a_cropped_sm1.jpgCoin_340r1_a_cropped_sm1.jpg

Thanks all for the info. MCM must have a lot of friends, "hundreds and hundreds of them" hm

I'm always puzzled at the vast difference in prices between 70's vs 69's - and yet they are so very close. Your MS69 looks pretty stunning to me CoagMan, making me wonder if those MS69's for sale now represent a bargain.

welcome jpolz :hi:

Your MS69 looks pretty stunning to me CoagMan, making me wonder if those MS69's for sale now represent a bargain.

The MS-69 P-L coins might be a bargain, but if you have registry fever, only an MS-70 will do. :baiting:

It'd be a little easier to swallow if MCM posted better pictures rantrant

(the price that is, not the coin)

Thanks for the welcomes everybody.

After posting yesterday I had the same thought as Bob-a-loo, and I said to myself "self" ('cause that's what I call me) "that's not much more than non-PL 69's are going for." I ordered one from MCM. I just hope mine looks as nice as yours does CoagMan, that's a real beauty!

I've always been a fan of the Saint Gaudens $20, but this thing is just gorgeous.

Might have to settle for a 69 myself, MUST HAVE A PL VERSION !!!

Seems we think alike, looking at buying one if I can't luck on a PL

Nice coin. How deep are the mirrors on your beauty? Any die polish lines?

-Mike

The fields have a decent degree of reflectivity, but certainly not as deep as a true proof. The devices do not have the frosty cameo effect seen with proofs, however, the depth of the design accentuates the contrast. The devices have some reflectivity that is reminiscent of proof double eagles from 1902-1907.

My MS-69 PL ER does not have any obvious die polish lines.

Jpolz—I think you made a good decision, especially if the cost is only slightly more than a non-PL.

I can't find anything written about this Prooflike UHR.

Will this Prooflike UHR become a modern-day super-rarity or just a flash-in-the-pan.

MCM has sold the NGC-MS70PL. At the rate these coins are going down, it's going to be hard to sell them for what I paid for it.

I don't follow you sideways1, what do you mean by going down - I thought it went for over $4G's?

Prices will fluctuate, that's the dealer game. But if you're a collector and you want one, you pay a little more and hold onto it for a while.

It'll come back up, especially if there are only few in the census.

69PL sold out now too.

MCM sold the MS70 PL, but according to their web site, there are currently two MS69 PL UHRs available--an ER and non-ER ($1785 and $1885).

The PL census data will be available on Monday, so I might be a good time to buy one of these for a small premium over non-PL examples.

I could swear it said out of stock for the 69's. Oh well, thanks for the correction.

To try to make up for it I'll point out that there's a 70PL on ebay now. Ordinarily I wouldn't post about active auctions, but it's a no-bid buy it now with no active offers, so I don't feel I'm letting anyone's secret out of the bag.

Hmm you should be glad I didn't post a link. The one I'm talking about is listed at $4,995. If you're finding a 70PL out there for $3999 I'm not, so it's well hidden. Maybe you should grab it or at least make an offer. Sure that's a lot higher than MCM's price for the 69PL's, but lower than their asking price for the 70's. AFAIK the lowest a 70PL has gone for on ebay has been $3600.