• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For Those Who Just Ordered the UHR 2009 Saint-Gaudens ...

372 posts in this topic

You didn't mention the price, not that I could afford it now, but I'd like to look, could you provide a link?

. . . or if you prefer not, the price?

Wow. A thousand dollars difference between the two.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't have bid on the lower auction without a picture of the actual coin. The one pictured is not a PL. It's a crappy picture so it's hard to tell, but there aren't enough characters on the grade line for it to be a PL. Also, it's the exact same picture used in the seller's other 2 non-PL auctions.

I'm not saying the buyer won't get what was advertised; probably will. I'm just saying that I'd have pointed it out to the seller and asked for a pic of the actual coin before I'd have been willing to bid.

Is that being too cautious on moderns, if it could cost me a potential score?

I've been out for a while with health issues again. My coin did come USPS since I use a PO Box--no signature required at Post Office, but when the book showed up, I had to sign. At first I was surprised to see how bright the coin was--I had expected a matte finish, but mine is very prooflike. I do not believe I will have it graded.

:o I want to smack you :Dlol

I am buying another from the mint soon in hope.. getting a 70 or 70PL would make my year. I will keep trying !!

Thanks, hopefully my recent run of bad luck with modern submissions is about to change.. big batch of stuff sent off today (thumbs u 25 PF Lincolns that I think are nearly all 70s

:banana: It arrived today, It's very pretty. I compared it with the MS70 ER and the ifference between the finishes is pretty dramatic.

I wonder if they'll continue to crank out PL's every so often, or will they clamp down and stop?

stgaudMS70PL.jpg

(images straight off the NGC web site)

I am buying another from the mint soon in hope.. getting a 70 or 70PL would make my year. I will keep trying !!

Seems like a good move anyway you look at it. (shrug)

On Monday, NGC released the first UHR population census that included prooflike coins.

Among all 2,578 UHRs graded by NGC only 55 received the PL designation--this equates to 2.05%. Of these 55 PLs, 31 coins were MS69 and 24 coins were MS70.

There were 17 Early Release UHRs graded PL (includes 11 at MS69 and 6 at MS70) and 38 Non-Early Release coins designated PL (includes 20 at MS69 and 18 at MS70).

Bob-a-loo, sure looks fantastic to me."Congratulations"

Thanks. I finally just bit the bullet and decided I had to get me one.

I wonder what the overall mintage will end up being for these (MS &MSPL)? If this coin compares with the mintages of say the 1995W Silver Eagle, and if the price of that rarity is any indication of where this could go price-wise, it could be good investment.

I saw it, I don't know exactly what a strike-through is - the NGC glossary is no help, maybe it's like a clashed die or occluded die that caused an impression of the design from the one die to be transferred onto the other die, causing a ghost of the image to appear. Maybe someone on the board can help on what is a Strike-through.

Strike throughs are generally oil or grease from the press.

It will result in a lack of detail where the grease filled the hole of the die somewhat

See my signature set for a dollar error like this, quite a dramatic example though

Look at the lower area of the Liberty figure, there is a big splotch of missing detail in the center-right area down low

A few more PL UHRs ended on eBay today (June 6, 2009).

MS69PL (non-ER) sold for $1850

MS70PL (non-ER) sold for $4436

Both sellers located in Hawthorne, New Jersey.

The MS69PL seems like a bargain.

The most recent census shows that a total of 80 PL’s have been graded by NGC included both ER and non-ER (47 in MS69PL and 33 in MS70PL). Of all UHR’s graded, 2.58% have been designated as PL. The percentage graded has increased from 2.05% since early May when the population data became available. I suspect that coins with reflective, PL surfaces are being preferentially submitted to NGC since PCGS does not offer this designation.

Also, about a week ago or so in 2 separate sales a MS70PL's sold for a $5000 best-offer on a BIN on ebay :o

The MS69PL's do seem to be a bargain compared to the premiums on the MS70PL ;)

I wonder what will happen with PCGS coins that look like they could have been PL if sent to NGC hm

Strange that one grading authority has PL's and the other doesn't :P

Even stranger they're both not posting values 2009 High-Relief St Gaudens Double-Eagles including the ER's PL's :(

How long does it take for NGC or PCGS to post values for a coin ???

Geez if anyone sees a 69PL going for that money again let me know :D

There will definitely be some PCGS slabbed coins that would cross as PL. Just look for those dark fields ! I would be looking out myself if I lived in the states.

Put it this way, still no price for 2007 Platinum reverse proof at NGC.. and parent pricing for the standard proof in the set..

No pricing for Jackson's or Van Buren's Liberty proof 70's (probably MS either)

UHR pricing would be a while off I guess