• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,908 posts in this topic

Oh that is a nice album Chad. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Winston!

Spider, this is a really great set to work on. I'd love to see your set, and see you complete it.

Yes RGT I did. I think we spoke about it on the boards when I bought it. I wasnt sure if it would holder due to the rims, but I really liked the color and clash. I knew PCGS would photo the coin even if it didnt slab but they holdered it and I am happy. laugh.gif

Maybe we did talk about it. My local dealer showed it to me. I believe he said he had it in his personal collection. I too was concerned with the rims and wasn't completely sure of the color. I can't remember what he was asking, but it was more than I was willing to risk. Later he told me he sold it to another dealer at one of the national shows. It was a couple of months later that I saw it on the ANR web site. It turns out that you won the coin at about the same price that he sold it to the other dealer. It sounds like you ended up with a deal, especially after getting it into an MS63 holder. 893applaud-thumb.gif

The next time I get to his shop I'll try to remember to let him know that PCGS holdered it. I had asked him if he thought the color was natural and he said he didn't know, but it sure was pretty. smile.gif

Chad. Are they going in a Dansco Album? Those staples sure make me nervous.

Ok, education time. Why do those staples make you nervous?

John, are you serious? I think the reasons should be obvious.

I know a lot of folks use staples in this hobby and while I would be the last person to ever criticize or ridicule another person’s method of collecting or storage of coins or any thing else for that matter. I do not use them because using them is an accident waiting to happen.

Thanks, and I do not take offense when someone is trying to help me. In retrospect, I can see it is a bad thing. How would you hold together the 2X2's? Yes, and album is better, but there are some items I have that an album is not in my future. Somethings that are obvious to long time collectors may not be so obvious to new collectors. I did not take offense, just pointing out that not all of us are working from the same knowledge base.

Edited by John Martinez

Chad. Are they going in a Dansco Album? Those staples sure make me nervous.

Ok, education time. Why do those staples make you nervous?

John, are you serious? I think the reasons should be obvious.

I know a lot of folks use staples in this hobby and while I would be the last person to ever criticize or ridicule another person’s method of collecting or storage of coins or any thing else for that matter. I do not use them because using them is an accident waiting to happen.

Thanks, and I do not take offense when someone is trying to help me. In retrospect, I can see it is a bad thing. How would you hold together the 2X2's? Yes, and album is better, but there are some items I have that an album is not in my future. Somethings that are obvious to long time collectors may not be so obvious to new collectors. I did not take offense, just pointing out that not all of us are working from the same knowledge base.

I have some that will never go into an album also. Some are just extras, duplicates, etc. My preference is the 2X2 PVC Free Flip and the 2 inch X 9 inch plastic boxes. Some are in Kointane air tight holders and some in generic slab style holders.

But there are many who use the paper flips and staples, just not my choice.

2x2coinboxcz2.jpg

saflip2x250ob9.jpg

Actually Winston, I don't know why I bought this coin. It was sitting in the Dealer's case just blazing with luster. It was sitting next to a Booker T coin, and this one was clearly the superior. It's very original, and I thought it would fit perfectly in my collection. I like it a lot!

I didn't get there until right at the end, and a few guys had started packing up. Most guys were holding out for the late crowd, so there was still a small bit of selection. This show was more like a collectbles show... There were cards, memoribilia, coins, stamps, pretty big show. I found this coin at the first table, along with seeing my first gold buffalo in person. A few more nice commems, whole bunch of morgans and peace dollars, including the 28P I need. Cheapest was around MS60 for $510 raw. No Norse American anything... Some pretty cool So-called dollars, lots of gold, some ancients. Nice show in the 20 minutes I was there.

I expected to spend 2.5 hours at the show, but they closed 2 hours before I expected. I thought they closed at 6:00, but they closed at 4. They closed at 6 on Saturday... Wasn't a total bust, got a nice half, and a free issue of CoinWorld 893applaud-thumb.gif

Nah thats ok. Normally I would take a whole day off, browse the tables, ask lots of questions, chat a bit, etc. but the shows down here just aren't that great. Max of around 25 tables, and that show comes anually or bi-anually. I wish I lived in a big city where shows happened a few times a month, but it just doesn't happen.

A few more nice commems, whole bunch of morgans and peace dollars, including the 28P I need. Cheapest was around MS60 for $510 raw.

Wow, I cannot believe how much these have risen! 893whatthe.gif I bought mine in MS-62 about 5 years ago in a lot of 3 coins from Heritage, along with a 24-S and 27-D each in MS-63 for less than $700. I'm still ticked I sold off the 24-S a couple years ago! tonofbricks.gif

So how do you get the coin pics side by side, if I might ask? Thanks in advance.

It is in the photoshop software for my Canon Proshot.

a) Open a new file with the proper length and width.

b) Open the obverse and reverse images of the coin.

c) Use the circular tool to outline the coin.

d) Cut it.

e) Have tools on move.

f) Paste the image.

g) Move the obverse image to the left.

h) Repeat for the reverse.

g) Use the rectangular tool to outline the newly created image.

h) Resize.

i) Save it.

Hope this helps.

So how do you get the coin pics side by side, if I might ask? Thanks in advance.

You can also do this in Microsoft Paint which comes with most computers.

Pretty cool, crito, and I like the textile toning pattern on that NGC Morgan. thumbsup2.gif

By the way, were you "missing" for a while? It seems as though it has been ages since you've posted. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Pretty cool, crito, and I like the textile toning pattern on that NGC Morgan.

By the way, were you "missing" for a while? It seems as though it has been ages since you've posted. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks, picked it up at the Glenview coin shop, somewhere north of Chicago, for $125. It's graded 65 by NGC.

Been busy getting my MCDBA finished up before Microsoft retired the certification entirely. New MS certs expire every three years whereas old ones don't. wink.gif

Thanks Tom,I've been working on a set in F-VF. I have about 33 dates right now,a few of the semi-keys but none of the keys. Right now I'm on the lookout for an 1844,but I know that's tough in any grade blush.gif.

The 1844 (The Little Orphan Annie) is actually fairly available, but was the center of a large promotion years ago and gained the reputation as being quite tough. To this day, folks believe it is harder to find than it truly is, and it has retained the premium that the marketing attached to it.