• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,909 posts in this topic

This isnt exactly a new purchase as I bought it raw about 2 years ago, but I just could not get a good pic of it and finally decided to send it in to PCGS to see what Phil could do. And as expected he nailed it and the coin graded exactly as I thought when purchased raw--MS63.

18663c.jpg

Hi Dave,

You tell me this:

Lee, you have been very successful on the Ebay buys.
thumbsup2.gif

Then you post this "Monster" smile.gif

18663c.jpg

I'm quite postive when I say this:

Dave, you've been " VERY SUCCESSFUL " on your eBay buy's!!!!!!! hail.gif

Can't hardly compete with all the great coins here, but another addition to my peace dollar set.

Down to 2 coins!

Its not about competing. Its only about your enjoyment. Thats a nice peace dollar for your set. Looks to have some nice crust to it.

They're coming out of the staples as soon as the Dansco gets here. It's being overnighted as we speak. Trust me, staples don't hardly ever get this close to my coins.

And Bruce, the coin does have TONS of crust, even more in hand. Very original, and not a bad buy for $13.

I finally got a 1902-O Barber Quarter which was nice enough to fit into my set. Just have one date to get to be 100%...you know the one...1901-S

Just won this well struck coin last night on Ebay,,,

link attached:

1345457-1902oQuarterPCGSau58obverse.JPG.ea86885a90d716339ba78243ac488146.JPG

I've updated the images of my 1807 Draped Bust half that arrived last week, and these images are much more accurate. smile.gif

I1807N40.jpg

I1807N40R.jpg

Tom I now have made a new rule in my mind when buying coins. "Does it pass the TomB Test?" What I mean by that is this a coin you would buy. We have very simular collecting taste in alot of regaurds. Super coin and love it.

Tom I now have made a new rule in my mind when buying coins. "Does it pass the TomB Test?" What I mean by that is this a coin you would buy. We have very simular collecting taste in alot of regaurds. Super coin and love it.

I can pretty much second that! thumbsup2.gif

This isnt exactly a new purchase as I bought it raw about 2 years ago, but I just could not get a good pic of it and finally decided to send it in to PCGS to see what Phil could do. And as expected he nailed it and the coin graded exactly as I thought when purchased raw--MS63.

18663c.jpg

I think I know this coin, unless there are two 1866s that look like this. Did you buy that at an ANR auction?

Chinook- That is an amazing trime! Thanks for sharing it. In addition to the pattern set I am working on a toned regular issue type set and even though I already have the slot filled, your coin would be a major upgrade in color. thumbsup2.gif

Here is my newest addition to the regular issue set. smile.gif

1829busthalftvcopyrs9.jpg

I just went through this whole post. What a great bunch of coins and collectors. It's so rewarding to see what other people are doing, what their interests are, how they collect. Chad, I think there is really only one person to compete with (no, it's not Tomb stooges.gif, it's yourself. Yes, yourself. The more you read, the more you interact, the more you see, the more you actually collect and invest yourself in, the more you will learn and because there is always more to learn, you can continuously grow and thereby be your own competition. The competition is to be for tenacity, developing your interest(s), refining your interest(s), executing your interest(s) (in the formation of a collection). Since you can always do better and better, you have only yourself to productively compete against. I hope that makes sense. But you have to take an aggresssive role and not be an innocent bystander to passive collecting. I don't think anyone here really passively collects. I believe most everyone here is constantly developing as a collector. No matter what you collect, where you go with it, what your assets are or are not, the whole thing is executing the collection. It's a continually growing art-form. Or at least I think so. And everyone's posts here have been absolutely fantastic. I like them all. And if you made your collection proof 19th century gold and owned the 'finest known' of each type, then your deficiency is in understanding circulated gold, and by collecitng circulated gold in top form (no mean task), you have broadened your horizon at a considerably different investment level than the prior. IN fact, the person who designs a collection of f or vf gold e.g. has a lot more challenges, I think, than someone who collects only pcgs graded ms gold. Same with Busties. It's all an art, and I believe the people who we share this board with, appreciate each other's art whether or not the coins being collected personally appeal to them, because it's more than just the coin, more than just the grade or the pretty colors, it's collecting!

Sincerely

Michael aka Mike

Boiler, I hate your 1929 Bustie, it is just too colorful, too pristine, too well struck, too beautiful...why...I just hate it.

I'm gonna go cry now, so please excuse me for a minute ...

a moment of quite please....

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I have started doing that too. I've learned a lot about appreciating coins from TomB, I like most of what he posts, in fact, I can't recall a coin of his I didn't like. He's there, he understands something, he knows what to do with it, how to go about it and how to attain to it and show it. He's a real collector. And I like him even though he won't give me that coin he knows I want so much and would take such good care of that he would't have to worry about me doing anything to harm it.

All joking and half joking/seriousness aside.

He's good numismatic footsteps to follow in. He's a collector, he's a teacher, and he cares. The three great aspects of a knight. I thereby knight you..Tomb with the cross of calatrava....or was that supposed to go to IGWT...umm....wait a second, let me think this over for awhile and I'll get back to you.

18663c.jpg

I think I know this coin, unless there are two 1866s that look like this. Did you buy that at an ANR auction?

Yes RGT I did. I think we spoke about it on the boards when I bought it. I wasnt sure if it would holder due to the rims, but I really liked the color and clash. I knew PCGS would photo the coin even if it didnt slab but they holdered it and I am happy. laugh.gif

I wasn’t looking to buy anything but I like to peruse ebay for fun sometimes. I came across this coin sitting at $137.50. I thought, “Well if it goes for under $160 it’s a bargain.” So I bid $160 and won it for $152.50. What do you guys think? Good price or not?

1886O.jpg1886R.jpg1886H.jpg

Chad. Are they going in a Dansco Album? Those staples sure make me nervous.

Ok, education time. Why do those staples make you nervous?

John, are you serious? I think the reasons should be obvious.

I know a lot of folks use staples in this hobby and while I would be the last person to ever criticize or ridicule another person’s method of collecting or storage of coins or any thing else for that matter. I do not use them because using them is an accident waiting to happen.

Chad. Are they going in a Dansco Album? Those staples sure make me nervous.

Ok, education time. Why do those staples make you nervous?

John, are you serious? I think the reasons should be obvious.

I know a lot of folks use staples in this hobby and while I would be the last person to ever criticize or ridicule another person’s method of collecting or storage of coins or any thing else for that matter. I do not use them because using them is an accident waiting to happen.

Here you go Spider!

PeacePage1.jpg

PeacePage2.jpg