• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comment from another site --- Can anyone translate?

24 posts in this topic

This appeared on a site on the other side of the tracks. Can someone please translate?

Mint mark is a mark on a coin from the mint. If a coin from the mint has a mint mark, it is an error—if the coin does not come from the mint nor have a mint mark, that is also an error. Many of these coins have die on them. A die is something on coins’s surfaces and two of them on a coin (double die, dice) are gold in your pocket. Double die (dice) shows up with DDO, DDR, cuds, and ANACS on the coin as well. They’re easy to identify because they’re one of a kind. Many are certified without certification.
You have to keep an open mind when you look at certain sellers’ coins now.

On 1/25/2024 at 4:40 PM, RWB said:

Mint mark is a mark on a coin from the mint.

We may have to decipher the code.  Was the mint mark on the coin from peppermint or spearmint? I would think the spearmint would leave a mark being a spear and all.

It appeared in a thread that was closed today, but the comment did not seem to be a cause.

Edited by RWB

Translation:  I have no clue what I am talking about, but I am going to go ahead and post some random stuff anyway before I go hide under a rock after people realize that.

And I never knew that a "double die" (as opposed to the usual "doubled die") is called a "dice".  You learn something new every day. :insane:

Mike beat me to it!!! LOL!!!!!

If you are a clueless schmuck who heard some numismatic terminology, drank a case of beer and a fifth of Jack, smoked about a dozen joints, and snorted a few lines, this is the garbage that comes out of your mouth right before you pass out and hit the floor.

On 1/25/2024 at 3:40 PM, RWB said:

Mint mark is a mark on a coin from the mint. If a coin from the mint has a mint mark, it is an error—if the coin does not come from the mint nor have a mint mark, that is also an error. Many of these coins have die on them. A die is something on coins’s surfaces and two of them on a coin (double die, dice) are gold in your pocket. Double die (dice) shows up with DDO, DDR, cuds, and ANACS on the coin as well. They’re easy to identify because they’re one of a kind. Many are certified without certification.

That is the best nonsensical statement I have read in a while,. . .since about 2016.  Gotta memorize that for when I get caught committing crime or decide to get institutional.  Who wants a riddle that rattles your reason with not one rhyme?  Painfully pointless but it does remind me of a poem I learned as a kid:

Ladies and gentlemen, hobos and tramps, cross-eyed mosquitoes and bow-legged ants.  I am here before you, not behind you to tell you something I know nothing about. . . . " - anyone familiar with that poem?

On 1/25/2024 at 9:52 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Isn't it a TOS Violation to post while under the influence of LSD ? xD

Depends on the site it's a requirement to be on some type of recreational drug use before you can post on some. ;)

Edited by Coinbuf

On 1/25/2024 at 4:40 PM, RWB said:

This appeared on a site on the other side of the tracks. Can someone please translate?

A mint mark is a mark on a coin from the mint that made it.  If a coin from the mint has a mint mark other than that mint’s mark, or it came from Philadelphia, so no mint mark would be present, an error has occurred.

Most all coins reflect what the dies that created them intended.  However, sometimes a double-die image (improper manufacture) can happen, which may make a coin worth more.  (a 1955 Lincoln penny double-die date is a good example of this)  Double-die errors can be obverse (DDO), reverse (DDR), cuds (broken die planchet striking), and can be found in the old ANACS holders, too.

These various “error coins” are easy to identify because they are different in appearance.  Sometimes they’re “one of a kind” errors.

You have to be careful with certain seller’s raw coins that have not been Third Party Graded.  They may tell you a coin has been certified when the coin's certification is nothing more than the seller’s opinion.

On 1/25/2024 at 3:40 PM, RWB said:

If a coin from the mint has a mint mark, it is an error—if the coin does not come from the mint nor have a mint mark, that is also an error.

As far as translation @USAuPzlBxBob, I can't tell if your translation of gibberish is accurate xDxDxD.

This line broken into two parts :

"If a coin from the mint has a mint mark, it is an error" ----------- So, ALL coins with a D, S, CC, O, C, and W are an error (everybody now has a s---load of errors). Also once coins began to display the P are also all errors. This means only pre 1980 nickels, dimes, quarters, and halfs are not errors and pre 2017 pennies are not errors.

"If the coin does not come from a mint nor have a mint mark, that is also an error" ---------- All counterfeits are an error, and this is the final inclusion of all P coins mentioned above are now all errors.

So, in summation, all coins are errors. (:(:(:lol:roflmao:doh!:ohnoez::tonofbricks:

If a coin from the mint has a mint mark, it is an error—if the coin does not come from the mint nor have a mint mark, that is also an error.

If a coin from the mint has a mint mark, it is an error if the coin does not come from the mint, nor have a mint mark… that is also an error.

If a coin from the mint has a mint mark, it is an error if the coin does not come from the mint,

This portion of the sentence suggests obvious logic.  It purports that the coin actually did not come from the mint, and surreptitiously is being passed off as something it is not.  "Error" in this case has little to do with coin manufacture, and more to do with hoodwinking an unsuspecting bystander.  It is a prank.

nor have a mint mark… that is also an error.

Here we have furtherance the sentence's first part, but only for the sake of completeness in the hoodwinking… perhaps to divert possible critical thinking.

On 1/28/2024 at 7:44 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Here we have furtherance the sentence's first part, but only for the sake of completeness in the hoodwinking… perhaps to divert possible critical thinking.

You are trying to make sense out of complete nonsense, and if continued you will eventually end up blowing a brain head gasket and wind up like a Monty Python "Gumby" character with a white napkin on your head walking around in circles yelling "my brain hurts".  (:

MP My Brain Hurts.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

That head gasket… blew years ago.

Aggravation is my nemesis these days.

Case in point:  Thursday night, foggy as could be, printing taxes at Staples, reached down to the tray before the print had finished and caused a paper jam.  Had to go to another machine, and the attendant would print my first machine's receipt… but at the main copy section, other side of the store.  To add to my confusion, he hands me the receipt just as I was packing up.  Get to the Bottle King, three miles later, paying in cash, check my pockets for correct change, and something seems amiss.  Where's my thumb-drive?  Retrace my steps around the liquor store/parking lot.  Nowhere.  Drive three miles back up the hill to foggy Staples, go in and there is the thumb-drive on top of the machine I had been at.  Oh, forgot to mention, my gasoline tank, its yellow low-level light… it had been on before I even left the house.

Blow a head gasket on these boards?  This is child's play compared to real life.

I guess you had to know of Monty Python's Flying Circus tv show to get it as that is a reference to one of their funnier sketches of that title, along with other silly classics like " How Not to Be Seen",  "Mosquito Hunters" or the "Hospital" sketches. ;)