• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad grading?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Full stars beside eagles head. The line from F to A marker, straight leg FG and danging 4.  

Yes those are screenshots I bought and have sales record and just put in my registry. 

Screenshot_20231231_185822_Samsung Internet.jpg

IMG_20231227_083953_054.jpg

20231227_082922.jpg

Screenshot_20231231_185801_Samsung Internet.jpg

Left my "Karnak the All-Knowing" hat at the cleaners. Tell us about your coin, the problem/complaint, and what your question is.

Edited by RWB

“Bad grading”
You may know what you are talking about but we sure as h—l don’t.   
Please be specific in your question. 

🐓:  Put simply...

What was the grade the coin received?

What was the grade you sought?

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't mean a thing, but I took a shot at guessing what the OP was talking about. I did not want to post it until the OP had a chance to answer. I typed a post and saved it, though. Looks like I guessed correctly.

Here is a screenshot:

Screenshot (39).png

Good detective work in figuring it out Just Bob.   
I didn’t think of that because the odds of finding a 1964 SMS coin in the wild are between nil and none.

Edited by Greenstang

It's amazing how many people claim that they have examples of so-called 1964 "SMS" or "Special Strike" coins.  We've seen two other such claims in the last two weeks. The first claimant had a 1964 proof set that had been abrasively cleaned. fun show how to get my sms 1964’ graded without mailing - Coin Marketplace - NGC Coin Collectors Chat Boards. The second couldn't post clear photos but apparently had a perfectly normal 1964 half dollar. https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/432403-1964-sms-jfk/. The reasons for these coins likely not existing outside of the currently known examples were explained in the replies to these topics. There have been a number of other such claims on these forums over the years, none of which has ever been substantiated.

The current claimant has shown photos only of the reverse of his coin, but it appears to have normal frosty luster, not the satin finish and numerous die polish marks that are characteristic of the so-called "SMS" coins. It should be noted that this member (the OP) has previously claimed to have an 1870-S Liberty Seated dollar and a 1927-D double eagle, even though neither coin had a legible mint mark! 

FWIW:  Your dang[l]ing 4 (which you chose to deprive us of seeing) if presumably of a 1964 Kennedy half dollar, has a silver melt value of $8.3949.  Today's NGC price guide lists such a coin in pristine UNC condition as commanding a price of as much as $5200 on the open market.  Mind you, this is exclusive of any coin deemed to be a SMS.  That, and a dangling limb, normally would command a hefy price.  Fortunately for me, my only regret is I would have been unable to meet your $2.37M asking price had it been the real McCoy.  The scriptures say, "seek and ye shall find."  Accordingly, never stop looking.

On 1/7/2024 at 8:15 PM, Derek Bentley said:

Unc details with all sms SP markings 

Can you post clear pictures of your coin, both sides?  

On 1/8/2024 at 4:26 AM, l.cutler said:

Can you post clear pictures of your coin, both sides?  

You are asking some prominent members to scratch their snap judgments.  That's a pretty tall order.  Then again, the Third Branch (the judiciary) does it routinely across the land when new information comes to light. I am curious to know why the mugshot of the obverse was withheld.  Isn't that where all the angular features are as opposed to the fluff of the reverse?