• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 SMS JFK
1 1

24 posts in this topic

1. I'm far from a professional of coin grading or even collecting, but do know a few things about coins that I learned from my Grandpa when I was younger. From a novice coiners standpoint, and after researching countless web sites and videos, I believe that I may just have one of these rare coins. The heavy strike on the obverse grabbed my attention instantly after I felt it in my fingers. Never felt a coin with such a deep strike and sharp edge to it, outside of a proof coin that is. So anyone with any knowledge to share on this topic, I would appreciate

Hi Tuffy512, welcome to the forum.  It would be great to see the coin you are referring to.  Please post clear and cropped photos of the obverse and reverse of the coin so we can see what you've got.  I will admit, I am not aware of a 1964 SMS JFK coin.  To my recollection, the SMS sets were "Proof-adjacent" sets produced in 1965, 1966, & 1967.  We are looking forward to seeing this coin. 

On 1/3/2024 at 5:35 PM, Tuffy512 said:

I believe I may have one of these coins. 

You don't, end of story.   That may come across as harsh but the simple fact is that the only coins to be certified as 1964 SMS coins came from the estate of the mint director in 1964.   If you don't have undisputed documentation to prove that your coin came from this source whatever you have will never be recognized as a 1964 SMS coin.

I learned something new today, thank you Coinbuf. 

(Copied from Greysheet.com):

Greysheet Catalog Details (GSID: 6988)

The 1964 Half dollar is part of a series of Kennedy half dollar coins struck from 1964-Present. The specific variety is Special Mint Set. Struck in Philadelphia and designated as a Business (SMS) strike, this coin is made of 90% silver; 10% copper from a mintage of Unknown struck.

While the United States Mint was busy producing business-strike coins for commerce needs and proof coins for collectors in 1964, apparently a couple dozen or so SMS Kennedy half dollars were also struck. But why were SMS coins made in 1964' It's a question that hasn't been ever definitively answered. What we in the numismatic community know is that several turned up in the estate of former United States Mint Director Eva B. Adams, who passed away in 1991.

Perhaps the 1964 SMS coins were made as prototype strikes for the SMS coinage that was struck for collectors from 1965 through 1967. Perhaps the 1964 SMS Kennedy half dollars were made in conjunction with the 1964-D Peace dollars that were struck but never authorized for release, and all of which were reportedly melted. Or, perhaps, there is another reason why the 1964 SMS Kennedy half dollars were struck but has yet to be elucidated.

All 1964 SMS Kennedy half dollars are extremely scarce and valuable. Their squared-off rims, well struck details, and clean fields differentiate them from their business-strike counterparts. In recent years, prices for the 1964 SMS Kennedy half dollars have easily crossed the five-figure threshold.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Obviously, we couldn't offer any opinion whatsoever as to the nature of your coin without seeing clear, cropped photos of each side of your coin. So far, you have offered no evidence that you have one of the extremely rare and controversial so-called "SMS" 1964 Kennedy half dollars. 

As you probably know, the Philadelphia mint produced over 273 million circulation quality Kennedy half dollars, which were generally well struck, have sharp rims and are frosty when uncirculated. The mint also sold over 3.9 million proof sets containing well struck, mirror surface proof versions of this coin. The so-called "SMS" pieces are said to have a "uniformly satin finish" (NGC), which you don't mention. See photos and discussion at https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1964-50c-sms/6844 and Kennedy Half Dollars (1964-Date) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com) (1964 50C SP).  As mentioned by @Coinbuf, these coins are believed to have a special provenance originating with former mint director Eva Adams or another mint employee and not to exist "in the wild". 

We frequently see claims of findings of 1964 SMS coins and other extremely rare special or off-metal strikings on these forums, but so far none of these claims has ever been proven. We have good reason to be skeptical. Many of the unidentified "websites and videos" you have seen may contain disinformation, as has unfortunately become all too common.  

Hello and welcome!

Number one, I cannot specifically comment on any coin without at least a photo of both sides of it. A clear, cropped photo at that.

Number two, I highly doubt you have one of these for two reasons. First, you are a self proclaimed novice as evidence in your own words so you probably would not be aware of the actual differences in surface and strike and secondly, coins of this nature are not found in random collections but once struck remained in the provenance of who's hand they were placed in and if given to someone else was typically accompanied by a letter stating names and the unfolding situation.

Number three, if you really do have one of these coins (I still highly doubt), you have seriously impacted its value by rubbing your fingers across the surface "feeling the deep strike and sharp edge" of the coin (and also have compromised the surface of the proofs you stated you have also done this too). If this coin were truly valuable, it would now need conservation (and also the proofs this was done to) as you have imparted the oils of your hand to the surface which will cause rub marks and/or fingerprints and splotchy toning. NEVER HANDLE A COIN BY ITS SURFACE! Handle a coin by its edges only if you must handle the coin with your fingers at all.

Wow! Wasn't expecting such an informative response to my post. But I do thank you all for your honest and professional opinions. Apparently I'm not the novice coiners I thought I was because I understood everything that was commented on my post. And no worries, I never go around fondling coins that I know are valuable, proofs being the obvious. That was my gramps #1 rule but thanks for your concern. The coin was presented to me as just another 50c piece so I handled it in that manner until I realized I may have had something unique in my hand. 

I have learned from your comments that what I have is probably not the rare SMS coin I had researched due to the impossibilities itself surrounding the history of those coins. But damn sure does fit the bill. My coin carries all from what I can see without a magnifying glass on hand the characteristics of the rare SMS.

I would never go through the trouble of creating this forum or the discussion herein if I hadn't done my own research first and believed by the facts I learned that I was possibly holding the real deal. I apologize for the pics but I am not able to load up pics from my files and was only able to snap a photo for you all. The better pics in my files will get posted as soon as I figure out how. Definetly a novice techy.

So I guess my question now is...what am I holding here? This coin has all the features described of the '64 SMS- Little if any signs of circulation. And not that I plan to sell, but what kind of value does this have.? 

Thanks again you all for your insight

17043548850514762035412895107217.jpg

17043549530392848574204747986092.jpg

Pictures are too blurry to look for the die markers, but I don't see anything to indicate a sms coin.  It appears to be a normal circulation strike, no   You can try for clearer pictures, but I see no chance this is a sms coin.

On 1/4/2024 at 3:23 AM, Tuffy512 said:

I have learned from your comments that what I have is probably not the rare SMS coin

Not probably, it's not.

So I guess my question now is...what am I holding here?

A perfectly normal half dollar.

And not that I plan to sell, but what kind of value does this have.? 

50¢ face value, $8.34 melt.

PCGS states that the so-called "SMS" or "special strike" coins "contain a smooth satin like appearance with the rims being very square and sharp. There are die polishing lines throughout the coins' surfaces. These coins also tend to lack contact marks unlike business strike coins, indicating that they were struck and handled under extreme care." Your photos are too blurry and uncropped to show die polishing lines or an absence of contact mark, but they do show a reflectivity of luster that is inconsistent with a "smooth satin like appearance".   As noted, the photos are also too blurry to show any "die markers" such as the defect on the crosslet of the "4" said to be present on all but one of the authenticated pieces. The photos seem to show an ordinary 1964 Kennedy half dollar with some tarnish type toning and possible light wear.

Here are cropped photos of an uncirculated 1964 Kennedy half dollar that has spent decades in a coin album. My photography isn't great either, but based on what I've seen so far, if your coin is one of the special strikes, maybe this one is as well.

1964MShalfdollarobv..thumb.jpg.04b95f2e504508bb777d7298ac2b2878.jpg

1964MShalfdollarrev..thumb.jpg.8e1c05d6dabe2564676a92e3f8267f56.jpg

On 1/3/2024 at 6:35 PM, Tuffy512 said:

I believe I may have one of these coins. 

Nope. Not even remotely arguable.

A nice article is in preparation which completely debunks the entire "1964 SMS" lie. Members will have to be patient.

On 1/4/2024 at 7:32 PM, RWB said:

A nice article is in preparation which completely debunks the entire "1964 SMS" lie. Members will have to be patient.

What venue? I REALLY want to read that one. I sincerely hope your definition of “debunk” and mine are compatible. Be forewarned, though, that LACK of documentation will not make the cut. Denizens of government seldom document their shady self-dealing details.

Edited by VKurtB

Thanks again for all your input. I've learned a few things I guess about the coin that i have. I have some other questions about my coin but considering I can't get any clearer pics to load up here, it's best I take it to my local dealer. Although not the rare special strike I once believed, I still feel that there is something unique about this coin. The obverse is struck so deep that it gives reason for pause and further investigation. Thanks all...

On 1/5/2024 at 9:24 AM, Tuffy512 said:

Thanks again for all your input. I've learned a few things I guess about the coin that i have. I have some other questions about my coin but considering I can't get any clearer pics to load up here, it's best I take it to my local dealer. Although not the rare special strike I once believed, I still feel that there is something unique about this coin. The obverse is struck so deep that it gives reason for pause and further investigation. Thanks all...

Several things can affect what you see or perceive as different, early strikes off fresh dies look different than middle or late stage die strikes.   How a die is basined or lapped can also give a different look for the first few strikes.   I would be surprised if your local dealer is an expert in such issues, but please do update us with your findings.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 1/5/2024 at 10:24 AM, Tuffy512 said:

it's best I take it to my local dealer.

Maybe, maybe not. Far too many local dealers are I-d-i-o-t-s.

Oh for crying out loud! PLEASE STOP THIS 1964 SMS baloney! You don’t have one. Period. Full stop. End of story. Ross’ first photo shows an unusually messed up 1964 half dollar. People need to get a grip!

Edited by VKurtB

@Ross soltess--Welcome to the NGC chat board.

No, the coin you posted looks nothing like one of the so-called "SMS" coins. It's just an ordinary, somewhat mishandled 1964 Kennedy half dollar, one of over 273 million minted, even assuming that it was coined at the Philadelphia mint, which we can't tell without seeing the reverse. Perhaps that's fortunate, as your holding it in your bare hands isn't doing it any good and would be devaluing to a rare coin. It's only worth its silver value, currently around $9.

In the future, please post questions you have about particular coins as new topics, not as replies to someone else's old topic, and include clear cropped photos of each side of the coin.