• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1888 Morgan Silver Dollar missing the One Dollar stamp.
1 1

31 posts in this topic

My daughter received this in a gas station last night and wanted me to see what I could find out about it. I’ve never seen one completely missing the One Dollar portion of the die stamp. These are the best pictures she could get with her phone. Any help at all would be most appreciated. Thanks, Glenn.

IMG_1865.jpeg

IMG_1866.jpeg

Edited by Navyvet8192

Counterfeit \ game token \ show collector token \ etc. 

On a side note, many counterfeit coins have extremely fine detail and are sometimes difficult to identify.  However, when an entire word or phrase is missing, then it is most likely a counterfeit.

https://atlantagoldandcoin.com/helpful-hints-on-how-to-avoid-buying-fake-morgan-silver-dollars/

Fake Silver Coins: 14 Ways to Spot Counterfeits - Silver Coins

United States Categories | VarietyPlus® | NGC

I do have a question to the OP. Was this given to her by another person or by a cashier? I don't think I have ever heard of a Morgan Dollar in this day and age coming from a cash register.

Outside of the lettering of ONE DOLLAR completely missing on the reverse, many of the letters on the reverse look off to me (misshapen and incorrectly struck), as well as the denticles around the rim being mushy. The obverse has the same mushy details.

If you have the means to weigh the coin to the hundredth decimal place in grams would possibly provide further evidence as to it being not authentic. It should weigh close to 26.73 grams.

You don't need to even weigh this one which is very likely not close anyway.  The counterfeiter forgot to put a denomination of this fake ... pretty bad. doh!

And nobody should be fooled into thinking you can read a few linked articles about counterfeits and plow ahead buying raw coins that are not in grading service slabs.  That would be doing a disservice to those reading that.

Thanks all. She is a night manager at a gas station and an old guy came in and just gave it to her. No selling or attempting to pass it as anything. He’s a regular who comes in and has coffee and she always says hi and asks how his day is going. I told her next time I’m in town I’ll take it to be tested for silver content and weight..

On 11/8/2023 at 5:19 PM, EagleRJO said:

The counterfeiter forgot to put a denomination of this fake

Possibly, the (likely Asian) maker did this deliberately in order to claim that these pieces were some sort of novelties and not intended to be mistaken for or passed as legal tender coins. However, if the maker was serious about this, the word "COPY" should at least have been placed in the blank space where the denomination should have been.

On 11/8/2023 at 5:27 PM, Navyvet8192 said:

She is a night manager at a gas station and an old guy came in and just gave it to her.

Interesting that fakes like that are still floating around in change.  I doubt it's silver, but if it is that would be a windfall. ;)

I thought the laws in China do not require the word COPY to be either struck or embedded on the surface of the counterfeits they produce. I thought that law applies in the US but not over there.

On 11/8/2023 at 4:19 PM, EagleRJO said:

And nobody should be fooled into thinking you can read a few linked articles about counterfeits and plow ahead buying raw coins that are not in grading service slabs.  That would be doing a disservice to those reading that.

I am sure you are aware of the disservices in his other threads. He will not listen that inaccuracies he posts are affecting (and infecting) the entire forum and its integrity. Teaching incorrect information does a disservice to everyone who reads it. I get that sometimes someone makes a mistake in a thread or a reply (I have done so myself and have been schooled), but I learn from that, admit my mistake, and make a mention that I was incorrect, and usually thank the person who corrected me. He does none of that. When challenged or asked direct questions, he completely evades the question or comment and posts something entirely not about the subject. Real shady.

On 11/8/2023 at 10:49 PM, powermad5000 said:

I am sure you are aware of the disservices in his other threads ... Real shady.

Yes.  But I think there are enough people who see the disinformation and call it out, along with the shady Etsy/ebay raw coin flipping.  So he is rapidly just approaching class clown status that no one will take seriously, even potentially gullible new collectors which seems to be his target.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone so intent on ruining their own reputation.

On 11/9/2023 at 2:33 PM, dprince1138 said:

For missing content, there is a die for the 1866 standing liberty half dollar that is missing the motto "In God We Trust".

16315-2.jpg

16320-2.jpg

Whats that have to do with the coin in the OP? Your adding confusion to this thread. 

On 11/9/2023 at 4:39 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Whats that have to do with the coin in the OP? Your adding confusion to this thread. 

Is it really surprising he doesn't get that a rare variety for a old half dollar has nothing to do with a completely different coin that the op is asking about, which is a Morgan silver dollar where there is no variety that doesn't have a denomination. ???

On 11/10/2023 at 7:58 AM, Navyvet8192 said:

Since this post has been hijacked, is there any way to just delete it, or does a mod have to? If so, Mod, please delete. Thanks.

Sorry that the current forum troll has gotten your thread off track@Navyvet8192, seems to happen often.  As a forum member you cannot delete a thread even if you are the thread author, and the mods take a very hands off approach on this forum.

On 11/10/2023 at 8:58 AM, Navyvet8192 said:

Since this post has been hijacked, is there any way to just delete it, or does a mod have to? If so, Mod, please delete. Thanks.

I will also apologize on behalf of the forum for one who is continuing to infect the threads on here. We have one misguided individual who thinks he/she is an expert but has time and time again proven himself/herself incorrect in many ways. Hopefully you see where the correct information is coming from and feel satisfied with that and that your question has been answered.

On 11/10/2023 at 8:58 AM, Navyvet8192 said:

To return the thread on track, to some degree, and to address those that are confused, I had made the statement;
"However, when an entire word or phrase is missing, then it is most likely a counterfeit."
However, I had recalled that there was an instance where a phrase was missing on a minted, circulated coin and that was the 1866 Seated Liberty half dollar, so I had mentioned it as a caveat to my initial statement.

Edited by dprince1138