• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FYI - coin die varieties
1 1

107 posts in this topic

One of the key components when inspecting a coin is to identify any die varieties.  There are many types of die varities, some are simply die errors, such as cracks or doubled die, some are repair of a previous die issue.  For example, the attached image is of a capped bust half dollar, where 50 was repunched over an inverted 5 (referred to as 50/20), so that 50 appears in the correct orientation.   Some of the clues for these die varities are extremely small and difficult to see.   I use a jewelers loupe (30x\60x) that I had purchased on Amazon for $13 and I am very satisfied with its capabilities.

One source that I use for identifying varieties is; 

United States Categories | VarietyPlus® | NGC

However, there are certain coin denominations and designs, such as the capped bust half dollar, that do not have an explanation of the die variety clues.

I have found a web site with extensive information on die varieties for capped bust half dollars.

http://www.maibockaddict.com/

Also, I have found a publisher who has compiled an extensive list of die varieties for capped bust half dollars, which I have purchased and if anyone has a question about these die varieties, please do not hesitate to contact me.

A second reference site for Seated Liberty Dime die varieties;

https://www.seateddimevarieties.com/

Also, die varieties are associated with a rare rating, which is a value between 1 and 10, where 10 is the rarest.  The coin shown here is of the rating 1,

Also, die varieties are assigned a number.  These numbers will have different prefixes, usually associated with the person who compiled the inventory of die varities.  For capped bust halves, the prefix is O for Overton.  The number for the die variety of this coin is O-112.

cappedhalfreverse1807bs.jpg

81BtUTMjmCL._AC_SL1500b_.jpg

DSPpg1.jpg

DSPpg2.jpg

Edited by dprince1138

On 11/8/2023 at 6:03 PM, dprince1138 said:

Thankyou for the bumps!

Is there a prize for getting comments on a thread.:bump: I see the bump comment quite a lot on dprince threads. Actually, I think it is his top reply to a question.¬¬

“It's a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma…” In an October 1939 radio speech, Winston Churchill used this phrase to describe a situation that was difficult to comprehend. (At the time, he was analyzing the early events of the second war to end all wars.)  :tonofbricks::ohnoez:

Musca in pariete
I just enjoy reading and making sense of all posts and hope I learn from them.  
And, I have always wondered who said that enigma quote.  I was surprised that it was Churchill.

An 1832 Capped Bust dime arrived today.  I had purchased this dime as I had suspected that it may be of a particulae die variety.  Since the asking price was fair value, I purchased it.   There are a number of clues identifying the die variety as JR-5, R1. 

For comparison, there is an image of the regular die and JR-5 die.

cappeddimeobverse1832s.jpg

cappeddimereverse1832s.jpg

26594681_1561484_2200regular.jpg

32606439_46817216_2200jr5.jpg

If you want more interaction, try explaining the varieties, how they occurred, who discovered them, their importance (if any), etc. Merely posting photos and canned descriptions does not engage readers. Try to provide something new and/or interesting about the varieties.

Edited by RWB

Thank you!  I knew I would not be disappointed.

I have another coin on the way, for which I am hoping is a R4 level variety.  If not, the price was fair for the grade.  If so, then I will actualy send in for grading.

Another coin that I have on the way seems to be a seated liberty dime with a broken 3.  While this is not a high rarity item, I do not see any for sale.  Also, a brokern 3 can be either completely broken or very weak on the lower curl.  

broken3a.jpg

broken3b.jpg

Edited by dprince1138

I received the 1891 Seated Liberty dime that I thought could be an 89/89 repunch, VP-003 (there is an 891 repunch, VP-002. with a toadstool in the 9).  The only clue is the 9 having a p---s (my description).  However, at 90x, I see a smaller p---s, so I may need to send it in.  However, it could simply be damage.

(All criticism, constructive, or otherwise, welcome).

seateddimeobverse1891cs.jpg

seateddimeobverse1891cvp003s.jpg

seateddimereverse1891cs.jpg

vp003.jpg

vp002.jpg

Edited by dprince1138

On 11/10/2023 at 1:39 PM, dprince1138 said:

Thank you!  I knew I would not be disappointed.

I have another coin on the way, for which I am hoping is a R4 level variety.  If not, the price was fair for the grade.  If so, then I will actualy send in for grading.

Another coin that I have on the way seems to be a seated liberty dime with a broken 3.  While this is not a high rarity item, I do not see any for sale.  Also, a brokern 3 can be either completely broken or very weak on the lower curl.  

broken3a.jpg

broken3b.jpg

So.....Why is it "broken?" How did this happen? Why are there versions of this? Inform your readers..... :)

Edited by RWB

I think you are misattributing varieties again, including the 1891 dime.  While it's just based on a photo and it's blurry, it only looks like a common die chip at the inner bottom loop of the "9" that doesn't match the die markers doing a propper comparison.

As advised numerous times now I think you need to start over from scratch with how you are doing authentication and variety attributions.  But it seems like you are not good at accepting other opinions or advice, and you have the coins in hand.  So maybe you should submit it to prove us wrong.

FYI, the first coin presented is an 1807 capped bust half dollar.  As expressed, some of the die variety clues can be very small and magnification to some degree is extremely useful.

Here is an 1858/8 O Seated Liberty half dollar, VP-002, R3

"The second 8 was repunched north of the first impression, and part of what is probably another 8 is seen to the northeast. The bottom of yet another 8 is seen embedded within Liberty's base."

817433-2.jpg

817433-4.jpg

seatedhalfobverse1858s.jpg

seatedhalfobverse1858svp002.jpg

seatedhalfreverse1858s.jpg

816905-1.jpg

Edited by dprince1138