• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am here to learn.
1 1

31 posts in this topic

Hello, I am new to NGC.  I just started coin/bill collecting about 3 months ago.  I had back surgery after 20 years of coaching wrestling.  Just  before surgery I went through a Dairy Queen drive through and was given a nickle with a bunch of extra metal on it.  After surgery, being stuck at the house, I decided to go through our piggy banks (about 1k worth of coins) and found a bunch of error coins, but I do not really know much about the errors.  I hope I do not post too many questions about my coins.  I appreciate the people on this forum and how you are willing to give your time to help others like me learn about coin collecting.  Here is the nickle I talked about earlier.  What is this error called?

IMG_2769[1].JPG

IMG_2770[1].JPG

Welcome to the Chat Board, hope you enjoy your new hobby.

Would you please take another photo of the obverse but with less glare ( like the reverse photo)   
so that we can see the details more clearly. Also it would to crop your photos, this will make them larger.

On 8/14/2023 at 9:14 AM, abcd43130 said:

I told my wife: "This is the one that is going to make us millionaires!".  She rolled her eyes and said "in your dreams".

Lol,

Chris

Not millionaires but hopefully it's worth some extra cash. I like the difference between the obverse and reverse. Hopefully an error and not damage :) looks bubbled but I can't tell.

Edited by NeverEnoughCoins09
added on

At first I thought it may have been double struck but looking at the new photo, a double struck
would not have the bubbly fields seen on the lower left. I want cannot figure how this would happen  
during the striking of the coin so by default is PMD ( Post Minting Damage)

On 8/14/2023 at 9:00 AM, abcd43130 said:

found a bunch of error coins,

The first thing you need to understand about mint errors is that significant ones rarely turn up in circulation. Those that escape the inspection process at the mint are usually intercepted by personnel at counting houses and banks and sold to coin dealers. To be a mint error, the anomaly must have occurred during the minting process. For every actual mint error of any significance that we see, we see dozens, if not hundreds, of damaged and altered coins.

The nickel whose photos you posted may have been struck through "grease" or other foreign matter on the obverse die.  However, I'm concerned about the unusual shininess of the obverse, which may be indicative of exposure of the coin to some sort of buffing wheel or other post-mint treatment. It doesn't resemble the examples of this type of error shown on error-ref.com. Search Results for “struck through grease” (error-ref.com).  I'll let some of the other forum members give their opinions.

To learn about the basic types of mint errors, see the following articles on the NGC website:

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 4 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Error-ref.com provides comprehensive information about mint errors for those who understand the basics.

If you are a new collector, it is advisable to learn more basic information about U.S. coins before focusing on mint errors or die varieties, which have historically been a specialty of some more advanced collectors. See the following topic for essential print and online resources:

On 8/14/2023 at 9:56 AM, Sandon said:

The first thing you need to understand about mint errors is that significant ones rarely turn up in circulation. Those that escape the inspection process at the mint are usually intercepted by personnel at counting houses and banks and sold to coin dealers.

Good to know, bummer.

Like @Sandon said it looks to be a struck through.  probably some sort of cloth got caught in the press after cleaning. or something.  The finding of true error coins rarely comes from circulation finds.

Chris,

I like your choice for the title of this thread:  I am here to learn.

I, too, am here to learn, and without question, NGC is the best coin website on the Internet to do exactly this.  The more I visit here, the more I realize how engaging this place is.

Since you're a Newbie, and also having to take it easy after your recent surgery, this affords you extra time to explore the various locations within this place.  I highly recommend it.  And one more thing, always do it from a computer or tablet.  It's a much more rewarding experience than from a cellphone.

Speaking for myself, I tend to come to the NGC Chat Boards all too often, and sometimes things are slow and unengaging around here.  So, what do I do?  I explore the different banner headings — their dropdown windows — at the top of the page.

Once you get used to navigating around here, that's when NGC's website really begins to shine.  For example, just this morning I clicked on the banner "News" and the window that opened up led me to a fascinating article:  Jeff Garrett: The Most Exciting Moment of My Career.  (A very good read.)

Best of luck and enjoy your new hobby,

Bob

Edited by USAuPzlBxBob
spelling

On 8/14/2023 at 10:56 AM, Sandon said:

The first thing you need to understand about mint errors is that significant ones rarely turn up in circulation. Those that escape the inspection process at the mint are usually intercepted by personnel at counting houses and banks and sold to coin dealers. To be a mint error, the anomaly must have occurred during the minting process. For every actual mint error of any significance that we see, we see dozens, if not hundreds, of damaged and altered coins.

The nickel whose photos you posted may have been struck through "grease" or other foreign matter on the obverse die.  However, I'm concerned about the unusual shininess of the obverse, which may be indicative of exposure of the coin to some sort of buffing wheel or other post-mint treatment. It doesn't resemble the examples of this type of error shown on error-ref.com. Search Results for “struck through grease” (error-ref.com).  I'll let some of the other forum members give their opinions.

To learn about the basic types of mint errors, see the following articles on the NGC website:

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 4 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Error-ref.com provides comprehensive information about mint errors for those who understand the basics.

If you are a new collector, it is advisable to learn more basic information about U.S. coins before focusing on mint errors or die varieties, which have historically been a specialty of some more advanced collectors. See the following topic for essential print and online resources:

I agree with Sandon's reply struck through grease and also someone may have polished it up. 

Might be struck-through grease, but it appears a little too shiny for that.  It looks polished.  Maybe a struck-through grease or cloth that someone then polished, ruining the error.

I will put forth another possible scenario which is a late-stage die cap.   I too am wondering about the shiny look of the coin and the possibility of someone that tried to spiff it up in the past.

On 8/14/2023 at 3:44 PM, Coinbuf said:

I will put forth another possible scenario which is a late-stage die cap.   I too am wondering about the shiny look of the coin and the possibility of someone that tried to spiff it up in the past.

Ya a bit shiny but .You know after looking again at the reverse of the coin looks like a MS FS coin ? So It could be a die cap coin that was not out in the wild for very long. Oh and welcome abcd43130... Can you see a the date in the coin.?

On 8/14/2023 at 5:37 PM, J P M said:

Ya a bit shiny but .You know after looking again at the reverse of the coin looks like a MS FS coin ? So It could be a die cap coin that was not out in the wild for very long. Oh and welcome abcd43130... Can you see a the date in the coin.?

It's tough to see the viewers right side of the steps due to the angle, but from what I can see the steps seem to blend together at the bottom.   Would need better pics to say.

The first thought I had when I saw this coin (both sides) was how thick is the rim? Being the reverse is normal, my thought went right to a capped die actually an early stage before all the details got obliterated and the "cup" of the coin was very deep. I have seen some struck through grease colossal grease errors but they don't look like this. I would hate to have the OP take it out of the flip and subject the coin to more possible contamination to thoroughly examine the thickness of the rim as we know the longer a die stays capped, the "deeper" the rim gets.

On 8/15/2023 at 8:18 PM, abcd43130 said:

Can anyone tell me why im limited to 10 posts/replies per day? 

I've never heard of anyone being limited to ten posts or replies per day. How were you informed of this?  To my knowledge, paid NGC memberships are only required if you want to submit coins for grading.

It seems like you are very interested in coin errors and varieties from your recent posts, and like others I think your willingness to learn is refreshing. You will find many here happy to help with a good attitude like that.

Keep in mind that errors and varieties generally have to be pretty substantial and clearly visible without magnification to have a shot at adding value.

Some good sites to research errors and varieties are error-ref.com  , VarietyVista.com, and NGC Variety Plus.

Also see the following topic for some additional information, particularly the "Resources for Newer Collectors" link to another topic started by @Sandon towards the end of the first post ... https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/428817-resources-for-new-collectors/

Keep in mind that generally (there are always exceptions) something cut into or incuse on a coin is likely damage (very common) or a struck-through (the outline of an object is visible, with no coin elements struck in that area), and a raised area is likely a die chip, die break or something added to the surface.

Happy hunting! 😉

I would be interested to see one more pic if it is not too much trouble. The pic of the alleged error on the pencil, if you could put an average regular nickel next to it so we could see if the rim is "thickening". It might not tell us much if it is an early capped die as it would not have had enough strikes to develop the strong cupped effect but could be helpful in this situation to see if there is any visible difference.

I think that this coin should be examined in-person by an expert.  It would cost quite a bit to send it to a grading service, probably more than the $50 that a Jefferson nickel brockage is listed in the 2023 Redbook. If there is a coin show in your area, you might want to show it to a dealer who is familiar with mint errors.  Another option would be to send it for examination by an organization like CONECA. CONECA (conecaonline.org).  See the "Coin Examinations" and "Coin Attributions" pages.

Thanks for the uploaded pics I requested. I still want to lean towards an early capped die state and this coin maybe fell off from being the cap after only a couple or few strikes. I agree with @Sandon, and do think you should at a minimum have this coin examined by someone who specializes in error coins. It is not for your average dealer to assess. I think maybe sending it to CONECA would be your best bet since I think they don't charge to take a look (I could be wrong). Or if you have the patience to wait for a larger coin show to come to your area. 

On 8/14/2023 at 2:44 PM, Coinbuf said:

If you are saying that you think this coin was struck through a late stage die cap, then I would agree that you are probably on the right track, although I am not sure what would cause the "wrinkled" looking parts. It definitely looks struck through something.