• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FINALLY FOUND ME ONE 1958 DDO I LIKE TO SEE ANYONE TEL ME I AM WRING THIS TIME PERSEVERANCE PAYS OFF
1 1

21 posts in this topic

RE: "FINALLY FOUND ME ONE 1958 DDO I LIKE TO SEE ANYONE TEL ME I AM WRING [ sic, 'wrong' ]THIS TIME PERSEVERANCE PAYS OFF"

Absolutely not a doubled die. Keep searching, though. When you find one that exactly matches the photo Sandon posted,  you can crow day and night.

Edited by RWB

I will ask you once again, what on these coins is making you think you have a DDO? It is impossible for us to help you learn to correctly identify a true DDO coin without knowing what aspects you are seeing that are leading you to come to the conclusion that you have found all of these alleged DDO coins.

I have roughly 475 coins in my collection, all certified and graded by NGC. Of that number, I only own 6 DDO or DDR (one is a TDR proof). I bought 4 of them raw and two already certified. I was able to determine the ones raw from either great photos or from having the coins in hand. True DDO/DDR coins are not a common find and of the vast majority of coins that have been minted by the US Mint, they are a select few and most of them are already attributed by numismatic experts with plenty of photographic and historical fact to match them to a variety description.

I am only relaying this information because of your repeated posts, yet you are not telling us what you see that makes you think all of these coins are.

On 7/25/2023 at 11:01 PM, powermad5000 said:

I will ask you once again, what on these coins is making you think you have a DDO? It is impossible for us to help you learn to correctly identify a true DDO coin without knowing what aspects you are seeing that are leading you to come to the conclusion that you have found all of these alleged DDO coins.

I have roughly 475 coins in my collection, all certified and graded by NGC. Of that number, I only own 6 DDO or DDR (one is a TDR proof). I bought 4 of them raw and two already certified. I was able to determine the ones raw from either great photos or from having the coins in hand. True DDO/DDR coins are not a common find and of the vast majority of coins that have been minted by the US Mint, they are a select few and most of them are already attributed by numismatic experts with plenty of photographic and historical fact to match them to a variety description.

I am only relaying this information because of your repeated posts, yet you are not telling us what you see that makes you think all of these coins are.

I thought I seen doubling in the motto and I looked at the die markers I love collecting Lincoln cents an I try to get my kids involved but I obviously need more information on it I have no problem learning I always want to improve my skills sorry about the post 

On 7/26/2023 at 12:21 PM, Crumbley said:

I thought I seen doubling in the motto and I looked at the die markers I love collecting Lincoln cents an I try to get my kids involved but I obviously need more information on it I have no problem learning I always want to improve my skills sorry about the post 

No need to apologize, but don't use capital lock in the OP....tone down the exubberance....and ASK folks here with tons of experience their opinions rathter than rely on your emotions.

If you are SERIOUS about coin collecting, you will learn a TON of knowledge from this site. (thumbsu

Agree... you came-in hot, and that's why you got the reaction you did.  If you are going to spike a football, you have to be 100% you are in the end zone (spiking at the 50 is a fumble).  Humility goes a long way.. I am also learning, and I stink at doubled dies... fortunately, there is more to numismatics than doubled die coins.  I would suggest honing your other skills, too (grading, variety identification, and set-building).

Here is a secret that the YouTubers don't want collectors to know.... Let's say you have a very minor doubled die... If that coin is not in MS++++, it isn't worth anything.  Maybe it's fun to look at, but it is essentially worthless.  Doubled die coins either have to be easily visible (1955, 1972, etc.), and/or in supreme shape to have any real value.  I am not saying coins have to be valuable to be worthwhile to study (you can learn a lot from the right coins regardless of value).  However, before you pull the football out again, this is something to also consider.

Good luck

On 7/26/2023 at 2:44 PM, Tony Follis said:

I would just study the picture that Sandon posted as it is a close up view of a DDO.

Agreed. For the OP, I am not sure what die markers you were referring to that you were looking at on these coins. If you are seeing minor sloped doubling, it is called mechanical (strike, erosion, etc.) doubling. It is a normal part of the minting process. When a die is wearing out, you get die erosion doubling as the image in the die is worn down and no longer holding the metal to the die recesses during the strike, and a little metal passes beyond the lettering making a "mushy" doubling APPEARANCE. Not a true doubling. Strike doubling can happen if the planchet bounces during the strike or if a die is loose in the press and you get a FORM of doubling but it a part of the process of minting and again is not a true doubling. The photo of the 1958 that @Sandon provided is what you should be looking for when it comes to Lincoln cents.

Other series of coins have doubling that is harder to detect such as Peace dollars and Kennedy halves. Even I cannot see it most of the time and it takes a very trained eye to detect it. So, cents are probably your best way to learn it as the known cent varieties it is very easily seen with the naked eye.

@Mike Meenderink, this forum is to try to help people understand the nuances of collecting. I feel it is better to educate someone than to let them run around cluelessly while at the same time spreading further misinformation. Anyone we can help on here is also helping further the hobby.

On 7/26/2023 at 12:21 PM, Crumbley said:

If that is an app and/or scope you are using to find the errors/varieties you have been posting in multiple topics you may want to moth-ball them and start over again, beginning with some basic books and resources on coins, errors & varieties (see some of your first topics on the board) as well as a 5x to 10x magnifying glass. ;)

But keep in mind even the mag glass needs to be in focus. (: