• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 NMM Nickel - MS5FS???
1 1

33 posts in this topic

So,

I've been doing pretty good selling my coins online. 

I have this amazing MS 1961 NMM Nickel, but not sure if I can title this: 4FS or 5FS

NGC: 1961  5C MS5FS

MS: 63-$725     64-$1350    65-$3000

Just asking...Thanks

20230704_121452(1).thumb.jpg.b028767fd9493c60b40bd8f5ba8b7f2d.jpg20230704_121717.thumb.jpg.e5209c2e9ebcc59948fef5b89af32424.jpg20230704_121651.thumb.jpg.dc462f7b86f299771257ca5fd6784a3b.jpg20230704_121200.thumb.jpg.9d77287f239ed553fba5a0d02e26dac1.jpg

20230704_121314.jpg

@VKurtB Thank you for the your comment, but whole "What Planet"...is something you could've kept to yourself! Good to know all your accolades and how long you've been collecting.  I'm someone from THIS planet simply asking a question. And the term NMM is for "No Mint Mark" which was not meant for YOU alone to know what it meant. It's been working well for me.  FYI: I'm almost sure most of the people that post on here are educated adults, please respond with that thought in mind. 

On 7/19/2023 at 3:01 AM, funnylady444 said:

@VKurtB Thank you for the your comment, but whole "What Planet"...is something you could've kept to yourself! Good to know all your accolades and how long you've been collecting.  I'm someone from THIS planet simply asking a question. And the term NMM is for "No Mint Mark" which was not meant for YOU alone to know what it meant. It's been working well for me.  FYI: I'm almost sure most of the people that post on here are educated adults, please respond with that thought in mind. 

Well, sorry to tell you, but “what’s been working for you” is a horrible standard. It’s a simple 1961 Philly nickel. End of story. The term NMM applies ONLY to coins that are SUPPOSED TO HAVE mint marks but paradoxically do not. This is a field where terms and nomenclature MATTER. Here’s the rub, Dahhhlink. If you thought this coin was ANY kind of valuable collector coin, then sorry, you are either NOT an educated adult (in the things that matter here) or you’re simply drunk or high. Or maybe a crook.

And no, I can assure you that MOST people who post on here are complete numismatic dopes. There are very few posters here who could find their fundus with both hands and a powerful searchlight. Luckily, the relatively few who know what they’re doing post regularly and well. Otherwise, this site would be a complete waste of electrons.

I’ve encountered your ilk dozens if not hundreds of times. You are emblematic of what is so very wrong with numismatics. Too much go-go enthusiasm unaccompanied by sufficient knowledge and/or education. That is an EXTREMELY dangerous combination, to you, and to all your victims/customers. 

Every nuance of your post screams “CHARLATAN!”  The blue gloves, the digital microscope, the stating of a step status that doesn’t exist (4), not knowing that the diagonal gouge on the steps is disqualifying, … WOW! I’ve seen a 6 step designation, a 5, and even once, a 5.5 step. I have never read ANYTHING about 4, especially when you wouldn’t even have THAT if it did exist. When you liberally misapply terms by “apeing” them from a completely different context, you reveal yourself as a charlatan. Your post fairly reeks of “YouTube disease”, or worse yet, “Etsy disease”. Those are sites where numismatic truth goes to die, and eBay is rapidly falling down the same rabbit hole.

There is sooooooo incredibly much detail to learn in order to do this thing with even a shred of knowledge. It literally takes DECADES. Stop. Learn more. THEN sell coins, if you have the ethics to do it right. 

Edited by VKurtB

Not an FS coin, worth maybe a buck depending on condition.

Using terms like No Mint Mark Nickel on a nickel that is supposed to have NMM can be misleading, better to call this a "P" or Philly coin. 

On 7/19/2023 at 4:08 AM, VKurtB said:

6 step designation, a 5, and even once, a 5.5 step. I have never read ANYTHING about 4, especially when you wouldn’t even have THAT if it did exist.

I agree with Kurt. You may think he is being hard on you but only if you do not want to hear the truth. I see people advertise 4 steps all the time and there are even stickers for 4 steps but all the stickers in the world will not change the coin to a collectable FS .     

Edited by J P M

On 7/19/2023 at 5:33 AM, J P M said:

I agree with Kurt. You may think he is being hard on you but only if you do not want to hear the truth. I see people advertise 4 steps all the time and there are even stickers for 4 steps but all the stickers in the world will not change the coin to a collectable FS .     

Wow, I've never even seen ANYTHING 4 steps, minor grading company or otherwise. I tell the unvarnished truth and THAT is my  defense. You want people to "only be positive"? 1) You're a fool, and 2) Go watch Barney the Dinosaur re-runs. I don't dish out pablum. I deal in reality.

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/19/2023 at 5:33 AM, J P M said:

@Fenntucky Mike and @J P M are two of the rare ones who know what they're talking about. 

On 7/19/2023 at 3:01 AM, funnylady444 said:

Welcome to the  forum:hi:

please see this https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/415185-what-you-need-to-know-about-posting-coins-for-inquiry/

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

As indicated by others, to be classified as "full steps" by any grading service or knowledgeable collector, a Jefferson nickel must have at least five full steps, without anything, such as the nick on your coin, interrupting the complete lines indicating the steps. There are only two complete step lines on your coin, if that many.

A coin with no mint mark is usually referred to only by its date, in this case just "1961".  

On 7/19/2023 at 3:20 AM, funnylady444 said:

I've been doing pretty good selling my coins online. 

I have this amazing MS 1961 NMM Nickel, but not sure if I can title this: 4FS or 5FS

NGC: 1961  5C MS5FS

MS: 63-$725     64-$1350    65-$3000

Those numbers are for 5FS as indicated, which your coin is not as noted by others.  By "doing pretty good selling" I hope you are not ripping people off by misrepresenting coins like this as anything special with worthless terms like NMM for a Philly coin or 4FS which is meaningless, or saying something has full steps (FS or 5FS) when it's not even close.

And for your 1961 5C from the Philly mint (typically no mark from that mint) you usually don't use the "P", like in the link you posted which just has "1961 5C", unless you want to put it in parentheses like 1961 (P) 5C to make it clear it's from the Philly mint.

On 7/19/2023 at 5:46 PM, EagleRJO said:

Those numbers are for 5FS as indicated, which your coin is not as noted by others.  By "doing pretty good selling" I hope you are not ripping people off by misrepresenting coins like this as anything special with worthless terms like NMM for a Philly coin or 4FS which is meaningless, or saying something has full steps (FS or 5FS) when it's not even close.

And for your 1961 5C from the Philly mint (typically no mark from that mint) you usually don't use the "P", like in the link you posted which just has "1961 5C", unless you want to put it in parentheses like 1961 (P) 5C to make it clear it's from the Philly mint.

I sympathize a little with the OP, but only a little. These language "rules" can seem daunting and a little arbitrary. But they've been the standards in the hobby for over a century. What troubles ME is how people just "move on in" and change long held standards willy-nilly because some YouTube jabronie did. "Collect what and how you want." BALONEY! There are standards.

On 7/19/2023 at 8:53 PM, VKurtB said:

I sympathize a little with the OP, but only a little.

I can't sympathize with the op because they are selling coins and "doing pretty good" probably ripping people off from what was posted, throwing out terms like NMM and 4FS for their "amazing" 1961 5C coin, which is actually nothing special and without even knowing basic nomenclature.

A fool and his (or her) money are soon parted. Part of the problem is people coming into the hobby without learning anything about the hobby first and then buying a coin based on someone's inaccurate description. They will buy a coin with a 4 full steps description, which does not exist, but they wouldn't buy a car missing a fourth door. Then these coin purchases made on descriptions that don't exist wind up right here on this forum trying to state their coin is one of a kind. And the vicious cycle continues.

well  NMM is supposed to be reserved for those coins that were supposed to have a mint mark on them not for coins that  were not supposed to have it on there..  any coin before i think '79 will not have a mint mark on it if it was from the Philly mint.  unless it is a war nickel form 42-45.  This coin is far from making a step designation. IMO it barley makes UNC. conditions.  sorry

On 7/20/2023 at 2:48 PM, JT2 said:

well  NMM is supposed to be reserved for those coins that were supposed to have a mint mark on them not for coins that  were not supposed to have it on there..  any coin before i think '79 will not have a mint mark on it if it was from the Philly mint.  unless it is a war nickel form 42-45.  This coin is far from making a step designation. IMO it barley makes UNC. conditions.  sorry

It barley makes UNC? Mmmm. Beeeeer. Maybe a Summer Shandy, given the heat.

funnylady444 ---

The nickel you pictured is extremely common and has no complete steps at all. The reverse steps must be entirely separated for their length, and not connected by damage. Your coin fails both tests, and is worth all of five-cents. Also, as others have mentioned, "NMM" is gibberish (picked up from some fool on a video?) that merely obscures the inaccurate description. Try going to a local coin club meeting or two, or even try one of the American Numismatic Association (ANA) on-line classes in basic coin collecting.

Edited by RWB

On 7/20/2023 at 4:10 PM, RWB said:

funnylady444 ---

The nickel you pictured is extremely common and has no complete steps at all. The reverse steps must be entirely separated for their length, and not connected by damage. Your coin fails both tests, and is worth all of five-cents. Also, as others have mentioned, "NMM" is gibberish (picked up from some fool on a video?) that merely obscures the inaccurate description. Try going to a local coin club meeting or two, or even try one of the American Numismatic Association (ANA) on-line classes in basic coim collecting.

That last recommendation is spot on. MOST people making videos about coins are full of fecal chunks. The ANA is where to go for good information. Go elsewhere at your considerable risk.

On 7/19/2023 at 4:08 AM, VKurtB said:

I have never read ANYTHING about 4,

MAC stickered coins can be a 4FS

This coin would be at best  be said to have 2 steps and Roger may be right that even those two aren't full steps.

On 7/20/2023 at 10:18 PM, Conder101 said:

MAC stickered coins can be a 4FS

This coin would be at best  be said to have 2 steps and Roger may be right that even those two aren't full steps.

And for me, MAC = DNC. (Do Not Care) No numismatic reputation to care about. 

Edited by VKurtB

@Mike Meenderink and @Just Bob, I feel the need once again to insert some humor into the conversation. Your comments make me think of the Simpsons episode where Krusty beat the criminal and the kids who were onlooking said "Stop! Stop! He's already dead!" xD

Big time NO! What I wonder is if anyone actually buys it for that price with a MAC sticker that is meaningless. I see a lot of offerings on eBay for ridiculous prices five to ten times the listed price guide values. I know inflation has hit the coin marketplace but these things were going on long before inflation in the economy. Some creep seller looking to make a killing off an unsuspecting, uneducated victim.