• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What you need to know about posting coins for inquiry
1 1

113 posts in this topic

On 2/22/2019 at 3:08 PM, JKK said:

I don't know whether or not this will ever be approved, stuck, placed in the WYNTK forum, or whatever, but it seems like we don't have one. Thus, here is my suggested  guidance for newbies about posting coins with questions:

When you post a question about a coin or coins, it's worth remembering that the people giving you answers--unless it is specifically about an NGC policy matter or submission--are volunteer hobbyists who do this for fun. They are not speaking for NGC; they speak only for themselves, and they want to help people. When you do a good job of posting your inquiry, you increase your chances of helpful replies, because you show respect for the volunteers' time.

Please do:

• Ask a question, or multiple questions. We need to know what to focus on. Authenticity? Grade? Identification? Value? All of these?
  • Post clear photos of obverse, reverse, and if necessary the edge.
  • If there is any question of identification, include weight in grams and diameter in millimeters. If you don't know the metric system, use an online converter.
  • Tell us what you know, or what you believe to be the case, about the coin.
  • Come prepared to accept responsive answers.
  • Be patient. No one who doesn't know the answer is going to post "I don't know." It can take days to a week for someone to notice.
  • Remember that some inquiries may require research, for which volunteers are not being paid, and are doing as they have time.
  • Expect that opinions may vary, even among experienced numismatists.

Kindly do not:

• Just post pictures without giving any indication of what you want to learn.
  • Post glare-obscured, blurry, or otherwise poor photos.
  • Omit weight and diameter, unless they are completely irrelevant to your question.
  • Get annoyed if you don't like the answers. If you disagree with them, fine; act on your views.
  • Grouse about not getting any replies. No one knows everything; no one has unlimited time; sometimes no one knows the answer.

If you take the time to do this correctly, you can learn a lot more here than if you skip important steps.

===

Opinions, comments, additions, suggestions?

Better be careful JKK, they might want you to become a moderator, or worse-AN ADMIN. Lol! I have always tried to do it correctly but spoonfuls I hate not getting any response at all. Even a Karen you have lost your mind is better than nothing.

9 hours ago, JKK said:

Fortunately I've done nothing to deserve such board punishment.

See it from the other point of view. Someone posts a coin and wants to know something about it. This particular coin not only does not interest me in the slightest, I know zero about it. Anything I might say would speak from great ignorance and apathy. What on earth could I possibly say? "Hi, I know nothing about this and don't even collect those, but I'm such a Mary Worth that I have to have a post in every thread so this is yours. Good luck!" That's what it would come down to. How idiotic would that be on my part? Many boards have That Person. I believe we should not be That Person.

If people do not respond, it's because they don't know or don't care (which may sound cold but is not an unacceptable outlook provided it is not rudely voiced), and anyone posting a question has to make peace with that because it's the only realistic reaction to expect from anyone who can't help.

You guy's have alot of patients, and dealing with people very well . That is outstanding in a lot of ways. I came to the conclusion you guy's have a lot on your plate, when it comes to trying to answering everyone's questions. Going in some of these posts I see how it would be frustrating. You want good answers, give good question. Just saying.

Now Karen I was nice to you on the other forums.

23 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

what that is but everyone should read the rules and all that stuff on the HOME PAGE before wasting anybody's time even their own.

True, but many don't do that either.

The WYNTK forums are "What you need to know" and I believe they ae found on the World, ancient, and US forum.  (Have to admit I'm not sure, I don't believe I've ever read them. :)  )

Yes JKK, you are correct. I wouldn't want someone to say something if they didn't know or care. I was likely being facetious.

Condor, Idk that I have ever been in another Forum, but I meant like on other websites like cointalk or coin community. I first went into those places before I found you guys. You guys are the real butter on the bread. They were but margarine. Ick! Nobody wants margarine. 

58 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Yes JKK, you are correct. I wouldn't want someone to say something if they didn't know or care. I was likely being facetious.

Condor, Idk that I have ever been in another Forum, but I meant like on other websites like cointalk or coin community. I first went into those places before I found you guys. You guys are the real butter on the bread. They were but margarine. Ick! Nobody wants margarine. 

Conder101 is also on Cointalk and Coin Community. He gets around.:wink:

1 hour ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Oh Spoon!!! Lol! I don't think he could have been one of the ruddiepoos, but who knows! We all love ya, Condor. I think???

What he seems too polite to tell you is that he has not misspelled 'Condor.' His name does not refer to the enormous scavenging birds of California and the Andes. 'Conder' refers to a type of British 1800s tokens popular with some collectors. I don't collect them myself, but I have a sneaking suspicion he does. Anyway, you might consider adjusting your spelling going forward.

I took a look at the Conder thread.

There was one coin that really was cool.

Can't remember which one, but I'd know it if I saw it again.

There are supposed to be over 1000 varieties.

5 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Yeah.....I used to be on those, too, years ago.  They weren't to my liking either Karen, and I think you for the compliment :) 

Thanks to Karen and Hinkle for the kind words. By the way, does anyone have any suggested additions to the posting recommendations? I'm very capable of forgetting something. I wanted to keep it simple and touch the high points.

10 minutes ago, JKK said:

Thanks to Karen and Hinkle for the kind words. By the way, does anyone have any suggested additions to the posting recommendations? I'm very capable of forgetting something. I wanted to keep it simple and touch the high points.

Actually, I do.  I'd like to add that if a someone wants to sell a coin, that they do so in their own sales thread, not in another member's.  I had someone hijack my thread today trying to sell a damaged 2009-D Lincoln Cent for over $2,400.  I closed the thread and reposted in a new thread, but I found that to be extremely rude and it possibly could have damaged my selling reputation if someone thought it was actually me trying to pull that one.

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

Actually, I do.  I'd like to add that if a someone wants to sell a coin, that they do so in their own sales thread, not in another member's.  I had someone hijack my thread today trying to sell a damaged 2009-D Lincoln Cent for over $2,400.  I closed the thread and reposted in a new thread, but I found that to be extremely rude and it possibly could have damaged my selling reputation if someone thought it was actually me trying to pull that one.

Was that in connection with an inquiry, though? That seems like a good etiquette point, very well suited to a WYNTK about the marketplace forum. I wonder whether it would be germane to the legions of posters who are sure they have authentic 1944 steel pennies,1776 Continental dollars, 1804 silver dollars, marvelous undiscovered double dies (because there is a slight tongue of shelfy metal just sticking out from under one letter in the legend), and so on.

43 minutes ago, JKK said:

Was that in connection with an inquiry, though? That seems like a good etiquette point, very well suited to a WYNTK about the marketplace forum. I wonder whether it would be germane to the legions of posters who are sure they have authentic 1944 steel pennies,1776 Continental dollars, 1804 silver dollars, marvelous undiscovered double dies (because there is a slight tongue of shelfy metal just sticking out from under one letter in the legend), and so on.

JKK....I think you're right.  It's more of a Marketplace post.  I just mentioned it here because the guy who did it appeared to be a newbie and it really aggravated me!  I retract my suggestion.

Edited by Mohawk

2 hours ago, Mohawk said:

JKK....I think you're right.  It's more of a Marketplace post.  I just mentioned it here because the guy who did it appeared to be a newbie and it really aggravated me!  I retract my suggestion.

I don't blame you for finding it frustrating. When it comes to discussion flow for the most part, I for one do not have much issue with threadjacking because it's usually a good sign. But if I were trying to sell something, and present my coins well, I definitely wouldn't want someone horning into the thread to try and sell their own. It would be like going in someone's coin store and trying to sell one's own coins to the customers--very disrespectful to the store owner, and I've seen people thrown out of a B&M place for it. As in told to get the heck out.

Karen don't worry about the misspelling, it happens a LOT.  I'm used to it and I don't usually get worked up over it.  Yes I do collect Conder tokens, I currently have over 950 different ones.  There are many more than 1000 varieties.  If you include the edge varieties there are over 5,000 varieties.  Largest collection I knew of was Robbie Browns, he had over 4,800 of them.  I know of a couple other collections that are over 3,000 pieces.  If you don't include edge varieties there are between 1,500 and 2,000 varieties, I'm not sure of the exact number.

I totally agree with the no hi-jacking deal, ESPECIALLY on a sales post.  And besides that JKK, I think you did a abfab job on the presentation. The Admins should take note that this shoulda been done long ago. Before they do though I'm going to skip over to the Newbie Room and violate the rules again by not asking a question.

Conder I have never heard of a Conder Token and seriously assumed you were a bird of prey. Lol! For real though. I am definitely going to google the tokens as I am about to receive my final coin for my 1st collection and am trying to figure what to do now, maybe it's collect tokens. I have a couple of fake CA gold tokens that were given to me and they are kinda neat. Little tiny things though. Are tokens pretty high dollar or reasonable? 

Welp, I'll see you fellows over in the Newbie Room.

2 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Karen don't worry about the misspelling, it happens a LOT.  I'm used to it and I don't usually get worked up over it.  Yes I do collect Conder tokens, I currently have over 950 different ones.  There are many more than 1000 varieties.  If you include the edge varieties there are over 5,000 varieties.  Largest collection I knew of was Robbie Browns, he had over 4,800 of them.  I know of a couple other collections that are over 3,000 pieces.  If you don't include edge varieties there are between 1,500 and 2,000 varieties, I'm not sure of the exact number.

5 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Are tokens pretty high dollar or reasonable? 

That depends on the token. A search on ebay will show you that Conder tokens usually go for anywhere from $75 to over $700, on average. The really rare ones go for upwards of $1000. I only own a few circulated examples, but I find them fascinating, look at examples of them daily, and I always have one or two on my watch list.

There are many other types of tokens, both foreign and US, and the methods of collecting them are as varied as your imagination. You could, for example collect transportation tokens, (some of which can be had for a dollar or two - same with tax tokens), tokens issued by coal or lumber companies, tokens from one country, state, or city, tokens picturing animals, certain people, buildings, etc. You could collect Civil War, Hard Times, US Merchant, or any of the other types listed in the Russel Rulau token book. The possibilities are almost endless, and the cost can be affordable to most any budget.

My collection is mostly made up of tokens, medals, doubloons, and other exonumia from my home state of Mississippi. These range in price from a few dollars to several hundred. As with most things, prices fluctuate due to supply and demand.The supply (and thus pricing) was once determined mostly by consulting the only book on Mississippi tokens, by G Chatham. A number of hoards, new discoveries of previously unknown pieces, and re-attribution of some pieces have skewed the numbers somewhat, and there is a website that is trying to build an up-to-date database of not just Mississippi tokens, but tokens from ALL states.The demand side is what currently determines most pricing now, and that varies considerably, depending on who is buying at any given time, and who needs which token for their collection. At different times over the years there have been collectors with pretty deep pockets in the hunt, and I have had to sit on the sidelines and watch as prices went out of my reach, but right now, they are reasonable, for the most part, and I was able to add over 50 new pieces last year.

If you go to Ebay and search "tokens," you will find all sorts of examples, ranging from one cent to thousands of dollars. One thing, though: token companies made, and still make lots of generic tokens for parking, amusement, restrooms, etc. These may have a picture of a car, an eagle, "for amusement only," or some other generic symbol. While they are perfectly fine to add to any collection, and can usually be had for pennies a piece, they can't really be categorized by location or date, and are not my cup of tea.

Here is a link to the website I mentioned

And now we have successfully hijacked JKK's thread. :grin:

Edited by Just Bob

I don't mind the jacking at all.

Since I don't collect tokens, one of the things that amazed me about the local coin club was how many people did and how interested they were in giving presentations. Seems like about 3/4 of the presentations at monthly meetings are about some form of exonumia. There's a token show in addition to the regular local coin shows, and it's a big deal.

In other news, though, I'm very glad that a) Karen will start to spell 'Conder' correctly, and b) forum members feel that the original post is helpful. Any idea how it gets stuck? Does someone have to lobby for that, or do I wait for notice? Should it be stuck here or in the WYNTK forum?

Former member Supertooth was in charge of the WYNK threads at one time, but he is no longer with us. PM-ing an admin is probably your best bet to get it stuck.

I have something to add here....can we please add no Photobucket links to this list?  I clicked one the other night trying to help a newbie and I got some pretty scary pop ups.....I ran a Malwarebytes scan and it did find some malware, but Malwarebytes was able to remove it successfully, thankfully.  I've noticed an increasing number of such links on here as of late.  I also want to warn the rest of you about these links as well.

24 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

I have something to add here....can we please add no Photobucket links to this list?  I clicked one the other night trying to help a newbie and I got some pretty scary pop ups.....I ran a Malwarebytes scan and it did find some malware, but Malwarebytes was able to remove it successfully, thankfully.  I've noticed an increasing number of such links on here as of late.  I also want to warn the rest of you about these links as well.

Just so I'm clear, was this malware incontrovertibly associated with you having gone to Photobucket?

21 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Good thing you got that successfully removed. Links like that slow your computer,  and also a bunch of other stuff you don't need. I don't click on anything unless I'm sure about it. 

25 minutes ago, JKK said:

Just so I'm clear, was this malware incontrovertibly associated with you having gone to Photobucket?

Yes, as far as I know.  Clicking that link was the first thing I did that day aside from logging into my school website, which is super secure.  I had no issues or anything until I clicked the Photobucket link.  I had also run a Malwarebytes scan the night before. As an online student and an online coin seller, I run a lot of scans and keep my computer super secure because even a day without a working computer could have serious, negative consequences for me.  My fiancee is working on a PhD in Computer Science and she said that the Photobucket link was the culprit as well.  I'm sure the OP with it meant no harm, but sites like that can have sketchy stuff on them.

Edited by Mohawk

3 hours ago, Hinkle said:

Good thing you got that successfully removed. Links like that slow your computer,  and also a bunch of other stuff you don't need. I don't click on anything unless I'm sure about it. 

I know! Usually, me too, but I did something stupid in the spirit of being nice.  Thankfully, it was fairly minor, but it could have been a disaster for me had it not been easily removed.  Thankfully, I have in home tech support.  As I stated above, my fiancee is working on her PhD in Computer Science.  She can get people out of A LOT of trouble with their computers and other tech devices.  She's definitely in the right field!

Edited by Mohawk

I did some looking and it does appear PB is involved with a lot of complaints.

21 minutes ago, JKK said:

I did some looking and it does appear PB is involved with a lot of complaints.

That's what my fiancee said too!  She also told me tonight that Photobucket gave her mom's computer a virus once......a relative was using it to post family photos, her mom went and looked and boom! Virus!  My fiancee was able to fix it, but it took her a couple of hours and a lot of work.  Someone without a Computer Science person in their family or friends would have been out a decent amount of money to fix what happened to her mom's computer.  Bad stuff indeed.  I got off lucky.

Edited by Mohawk