• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Way to much
2 2

21 posts in this topic

I wonder how long it will be before NGC starts receiving submissions of these pieces from ignorant "collectors" hoping to get "star" grades for the "beautiful toning"!

My late grandmother had an ethnic utterance that subsumes everything previously said in reaction to the marketing and appearance of this alteration:    FEH!

Edited by Sandon

On 7/9/2023 at 7:34 AM, J P M said:

Now you can buy your coins pre-toned. For the I have to have it now generation.

https://www.littletoncoin.com/shop/-2023-toned-finish-ase-w-case-st5360e

Wow, Littleton Coin Company selling colorized coins to represent rainbow toning, which some might consider AT.  So much for Littleton's reputation, which is often used to justify their higher prices.  It's petty ugly, and doesn't even look like real rainbow toning.

On 7/9/2023 at 8:04 PM, Sandon said:

I wonder how long it will be before NGC starts receiving submissions of these pieces from ignorant "collectors" hoping to get "star" grades for the "beautiful toning"!

We both know not long.  And it's only a matter of time before people start posting them here asking about star grades and values, or they start showing up on eBay for outrageous prices.

I used to get coins from Littleton when I was a kid back in the 70's. It's definitely a sad day. I suppose it's a sign of the times we live in. Littleton is stooping to a new low in order to survive and hopefully breathe new life into our ever shrinking hobby. I hope they are successful. We can educate the folks that buy into the 'artificial' hype down the road. 

On 7/9/2023 at 11:54 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Anyone buying this stuff has a completely different motive from that of a "true" coin collector.

From Littleton's perspective, it is a hope of fostering future "true" coin collectors.

Inexpensive dreck to attract whomever.  Nothing to get riled up about.

You pretty much nailed it …. I myself welcome the newer modernized collecting hobby even tho I collect classic coinage I do like the looks on some of the newer bullion coins hitting the market that is supplied to the newer crowd and generation of collectors …

I notice us older collectors can be somewhat domineering towards newer collectors pressing our conservative beliefs on what coin collecting should be (mostly classic coinage)… it’s not a one size fits all market anymore 

On 7/10/2023 at 10:33 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I think it's fine to collect whatever one wants... The only thing I severely dislike is when the collector really doesn't understand what they are collecting, and they buy into the hype.  AT can be beautiful, but it applies negative value to any coin... so it is upsetting when collectors feel like it is adding value.  I don't mean it makes me angry, but that it makes me feel sorry for the collector.

In my opinion, the worst thing about advancing in numismatics is being asked to evaluate a friend or family member's collection.  I hate seeing their faces when I answer the question, "What do you think it is worth?"  I have yet to have anyone be happy with my response.  It is moments like these where I feel upset with the sellers of those types of objects.  However, I have to remind myself that it is the responsibility of the collector to educate themselves on the coins they buy.... and that does not mean enrolling in classes with Mike Mezack at HSN or Couch Collectibles on YouTube.

Commit yourself to telling the whole hard unrelenting truth to everyone, even those who will not care to hear it. Truth is the full antidote to bull——.

On 7/9/2023 at 11:50 AM, RWB said:

Sad.   Stupid and sad.   Pathetic, stupid and sad.   Disappointing, pathetic, stupid and sad.

My one caveat: if it attracts newcomers or part-timers to become more active in the hobby and spurs them onto serious numismatic and coin collecting endeavors.

On 7/10/2023 at 5:49 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

My one caveat: if it attracts newcomers or part-timers to become more active in the hobby and spurs them onto serious numismatic and coin collecting endeavors.

Nope. Not worth it. Sometimes addition comes from subtraction.

I have never told or attempted to tell anyone what they should and should not collect as far as coinage goes, and that goes for bullion as well. People are free to collect whatever they like. The only thing when it comes to newcomers to the hobby, when they see things like this, they do not know any better that it is ruining the coin. Permanently. Then imagine them researching how to do it (by watching YouTube All Stars of Coin Destruction). THEN, imagine them trying to do that to a nice Morgan dollar, or Barber Half, or Seated Liberty Dollar.

Think of how painful it would be for a collector of classic coinage to have to see a video of someone doing that.....

That is why I don't like to condone collecting of something of this nature. As for ASE's, I choose not to collect them based on my previous post in this thread.

if it attracts newcomers or part-timers to become more active in the hobby and spurs them onto serious numismatic and coin collecting endeavors.

But a great many of those attracted will be driven off once they find that those coins they sank so much money into are now just worth bullion value at best.  A great many people who get burned don't stick around to sing the praises of collecting, they bad mouth it to others as being a rip off.

On 7/20/2023 at 9:56 PM, Conder101 said:

But a great many of those attracted will be driven off once they find that those coins they sank so much money into are now just worth bullion value at best.  A great many people who get burned don't stick around to sing the praises of collecting, they bad mouth it to others as being a rip off.

People make dumb decisions about life, houses, cars, art, spouses, jobs, investments, etc.

Coins are no different.  If they spend more time researching 4 and 5-figure purchases than they do on a $90 Toaster Oven, they'll be OK.  If not....caveat emptor. xD