• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newly removed from a 3 month EVOO soak. 1835 Corroded Classic Head Half Cent

17 posts in this topic

Nice results, although I had to think a bit before realizing that EVOO was Extra Virgin Olive Oil (JPM's post was definitely a good clue ;)). I think the color looks natural enough that no one would consider it "cleaned." Did you use a rose thorn or anything else to remove the crud, or just rinse?

I have also had good results with olive oil, however, I did learn that you should only do one piece at a time. 

This is similar to the material used by TPGs to upgrade really rare coins, such as 1804 dollars. The longer they "soak in the elixir" the higher the grade -- AND -- the smaller become edge dings, scratches, etc.

Nice results for that half cent.

On 6/24/2023 at 1:15 PM, Just Bob said:

Nice results, although I had to think a bit before realizing that EVOO was Extra Virgin Olive Oil (JPM's post was definitely a good clue ;)). I think the color looks natural enough that no one would consider it "cleaned." Did you use a rose thorn or anything else to remove the crud, or just rinse?

I have also had good results with olive oil, however, I did learn that you should only do one piece at a time. 

No, I never use a toothpick, rose thorn or any other "device" to remove debris as I wish it to come off naturally and 'usually' less likely to present hidden damage underneath. Just an opinion, but with many years of experience(good or bad) lol

Jim

On 6/24/2023 at 2:13 PM, RWB said:

This is similar to the material used by TPGs to upgrade really rare coins, such as 1804 dollars. The longer they "soak in the elixir" the higher the grade -- AND -- the smaller become edge dings, scratches, etc.

Nice results for that half cent.

Roger, 

I have found(for no arguable reason) that low quality EVOO works better than the higher quality name brand EVOO. Another "Just My Opinion" but nonetheless I have tried both many times and it seems the lower quality is stronger and works better and faster than the higher quality. Have been told that is ridiculous by chemists and the like ATS, but still my opinion. Thanks,

Jim

On 6/24/2023 at 4:16 PM, jesbroken said:

Roger, 

I have found(for no arguable reason) that low quality EVOO works better than the higher quality name brand EVOO. Another "Just My Opinion" but nonetheless I have tried both many times and it seems the lower quality is stronger and works better and faster than the higher quality. Have been told that is ridiculous by chemists and the like ATS, but still my opinion. Thanks,

Jim

How about running a test on some scruffy copper (not bronze) coins -- dealer junk box material. Put one in low quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil and another similar looking coin in the premium version. Leave 'em for 3 months like you did, above. (Or -- if you're feeling destructive, cut them in half and put the halves in your two EVOO mixes.) I wonder how that Olive Salad from Costco would work?

And here I was thinking EVOO was an EMU hatchling.  🤣

I have a bottle of Filippo Berio (since 1867) Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  Where, on the low quality/premium version continuum does it lie?  🤔 

The opinion of the chemists notwithstanding, it is possible for lower quality olive oils to have higher levels of acidity than the premium stuff. Fatty acids are produced when the fat triglycerides in the oil react with oxygen and water. This can occur when the oil breaks down, or is made with damaged fruit. Premium extra virgin oil can have acidity levels as low as 0.2%, while others can reach 0.8%. Regular virgin olive oil can have acidity levels as high as 2%. The higher the acid level, the more active the oil, in my opinion. However, I, like you, only have experience to go on. I have no background in chemistry.

Edited by Just Bob

On 6/24/2023 at 4:54 PM, Just Bob said:

The opinion of the chemists notwithstanding, it is possible for lower quality olive oils to have higher levels of acidity than the premium stuff. Fatty acids are produced when the fat triglycerides in the oil react with oxygen and water. This can occur when the oil breaks down, or is made with damaged fruit. Premium extra virgin oil can have acidity levels as low as 0.2%, while others can reach 0.8%. Regular virgin olive oil can have acidity levels as high as 2%. The higher the acid level, the more active the oil, in my opinion. However, I like you, only have experience to go on. I have no background in chemistry.

Thanks. That helps me. I gave olive oil a few tries years ago with bad results. The oil turned nasty. I now know to use the premium stuff. 

Post removed. Jim did not ask for members to post other examples, so my post was technically a hijack. Sorry.

Edited by Just Bob
Overstepped

Preparatory to posting on your Token Thread, I, too, made a grievous error. On the recommendation made in a comment posted either on this Forum or another, I soaked two copper tokens, separately, in [undiluted] apple cider vinegar, with disappointing results. It occurred to me then that this is why users of cleaning agents are urged to test first on a sample area, particularly where carpeting and clothes are involved. Applicable advice for hobbyists.