• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star *, DMPL , Plus + , PL
1 1

20 posts in this topic

I understand grading is a subjective. What coin has the best eye appeal ? Wanting a Morgan in 65 + plus is around $200 . 63 star kinda the same . PL or DMPL in 61 or 62 . It's all confusing . People say "buy the coin , Not the holder .I'm looking for the best looking obverse coin I can get for my money . Any recommendations on what grade I should get . I also understand get whatever I see is better . With all those special segregations. Plus CAC . What one designation has the best eye appeal ? Thank you in advance.

Edited by Ohnoimbroke
More info

Obviously, every coin is different, and every collector's taste is different. Additionally, as you said, grading is subjective. But, as a general rule, the higher the number, the fewer distracting marks there are in the prime focal areas. On a Morgan obverse, this would be the cheek and the fields in front of and behind Liberty's Head. Therefore, a 65 will usually have more eye appeal than a 63. If I were looking for an attractive Morgan with a nice looking obverse, I would try to find something like a mark-free 1881-s in MS65 or MS66, preferably with some attractive toning around the perimeter.

How much you want spend ? First figure that out … how serious do you want to collect Morgans (keep in mind they are very popular coin to collect plentiful and over hyped on prices) 

finding Morgans with a clean cheek very minimal contact marks is the key to collecting higher graded BU Morgan 65 or higher up to 67 and, MS 68 (high roller grade for deep pocket collectors)… As for PL and DMPL stick with anything above PL/DMPL in grades 64 and higher … usually 63 and under has a lot distraction marks although still collectible if that all your budget allows, keep in mind you can always upgrade your coin by trading in your lower graded/value coin or selling it off privately then buying higher graded coin to replace it 

On 4/24/2023 at 2:37 PM, Ohnoimbroke said:

Any recommendations on what grade I should get

On 4/24/2023 at 4:03 PM, Coinbuf said:

You have to decide what is most important to you, color, flashy blast white, deep dark watery fields with contrasting devices, there is no correct answer except what gets you excited when you view a coin.

I agree with RWB and Coinbuf to forget about what is on a label, and just go with what you find appealing.

This is the look I find most attractive in a Morgan dollar, MS65 CAC green bean.

I also like the way Morgans similar to that look, with just a hint of toning that has a slight progression which is a little more pronounced near the edges, and have several in my Morgan collection like that.

1897Ssdcomp.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

This is the look I find most attractive in a Morgan dollar, MS65

That is what a true MS 65 should look like. I'll take two to go, please.

:)

On 4/24/2023 at 7:08 PM, RWB said:

That is what a true MS 65 should look like. I'll take two to go, please.

:)

Wait, you started collecting coins?

I am not sure what to tell you when it comes to this except to buy the coin that you find most attractive in the price range you are set in. I am going to post a few photos here of differing grades but both of these coins have few marks and different eye appeals and neither of them have a *, +, PL, or DPL, but they to me are still very attractive and each in their own way. The dilemma you have is only what coin draws your eye to it. As far as the +, you won't be able to tell much difference as that is an NGC mark they give to a coin that "almost" made it to the next numerical grade. The * is confusing as well as I have seen some 1878's with so much frost on them and great fields, yet have not gotten a *. My advice? Don't worry about the special attachments to the grade, or even necessarily the grade itself. Purchase what your eye finds pleasing. (As a side note, I don't have many reverse photos of my graded coins, but I found the reverses of these two to be so pleasing I had to photo them).

PXL_20211017_191508364~2.jpg

PXL_20211017_191524203~2.jpg

PXL_20211129_074421364~2.jpg

PXL_20211129_075516117~2.jpg

On 4/24/2023 at 2:37 PM, Ohnoimbroke said:

I understand grading is a subjective. What coin has the best eye appeal ? Wanting a Morgan in 65 + plus is around $200 . 63 star kinda the same . PL or DMPL in 61 or 62 . It's all confusing . People say "buy the coin , Not the holder .I'm looking for the best looking obverse coin I can get for my money . Any recommendations on what grade I should get . I also understand get whatever I see is better . With all those special segregations. Plus CAC . What one designation has the best eye appeal ? Thank you in advance.

Buy what coins looks best to YOU for the grade/condition you can AFFORD.

There is no "best." (thumbsu

On 4/24/2023 at 7:45 PM, powermad5000 said:

... I found the reverses of these two to be so pleasing I had to photo them) ...

PXL_20211017_191508364~2.jpg

PXL_20211017_191524203~2.jpg

That is how most of the Morgans in my almost complete circulation issue set look like (105 coin NGC set), with the bright silver appearance, but a few special ones have that hint of toning like the one Coinbuf posted, without being brown or rainbow in color.  They are very hard to find in a raw BU grade which I prefer.

On 4/24/2023 at 9:56 PM, RWB said:

Long ago and far away in a different galaxy. I still have a few, but I could not afford what I liked, and did not like what I could afford.

@RWB I’ll give it to ya buddy you always came up with these clever sayings … As I read it all is true ! 

Humans are the only creatures with imagination. We often strive to suppress imagination under the guise of conformity. We are particularly hard on children and teens.

Everyone has posted excellent information above. It's hard to suggest to a new collector what to buy, since everyone has different taste. So, my advice for a new collector would be to start as simple as possible. Do not worry about designations other than the overall grade (I would suggest sticking with NGC or PCGS), and with Morgans, look at Liberty's cheek first. Is it clean? A few light hits are fine, but not anything that draws your attention. Do NOT (at first) buy anything with PL or DMPL because these cost quite a bit extra $$$. You can buy these later when you become more familiar with the coins. As for CAC - most in this hobby covet having CAC stickers on their slabs. I personally do not care either way, but having a sticker will make it easier to sell later if you chose to do so. 

Here are a few examples from my collection to give you an idea of what $$$ amount will buy, with common dates. 

This 1880-S is MS64 and cost $150 from Ebay;

image.thumb.jpeg.feaaee2d405387673d2218a71493ff18.jpeg

This 1886 is a very clean MS64 I bought at David Lawrence for $125;

image.thumb.jpeg.6129a119c760d8855e0186a39e62af76.jpeg

Lastly, an 1887 in MS65 (CAC) purchased from Ebay for $300;

image.thumb.jpeg.aecc8f3343787ddd29b972aff988403d.jpeg

On 4/24/2023 at 9:56 PM, RWB said:

Long ago and far away in a different galaxy. I still have a few, but I could not afford what I liked, and did not like what I could afford.

Well... I have seen a few of your former coins.  From those, I definitely like the coins you COULD afford. (thumbsu

On 4/27/2023 at 1:30 PM, RWB said:

I looked for quality regardless of label, seller, or price.

And because you counted only one of the four correct aspects for grading, you didn't have to work as hard.