• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1889 CC Morgan Dollars

12 posts in this topic

Had these 1889 CC Morgan silver dollars for a while.  Never sent them for grading because they could be fake and I would therefore waste my money on the fees, insurance and mailing costs.  Can anyone here tell from these pics whether or not they are genuine, or fake? 

20230328_201928.jpg

20230328_201904.jpg

Best way to authenticate Morgans is to go to VAM World and try to identify a particular VAM with the coin in hand, starting with the date and mark then looking for other markers.  A lot of the markers just can't be picked up very well with those pics.

http://www.vamworld.com/wiki/1889-CC_VAMs

http://www.vamworld.com/wiki/1894-P_VAMs

Also, they all appear to have an off dull grey color which might indicate they were faked or possibly over-dipped.

Edited by EagleRJO

Please post clear, cropped photos of each side of each coin so that we can get a better look at them and render a more informed opinion. However, from what I can see so far, I'm not optimistic that any of these coins are genuine.  The two bottom 1889-CCs have misshapen dates that clearly differ from those on any genuine 1889 dated Morgan dollars and uncharacteristically weak or missing portions of the eagle. The top 1889-CC has strangely weak hair. The 1894 has uncharacteristically weak obverse rims considering the amount of detail on the coin. All four pieces lack the usual bag marks and have oddly smooth, glossy surfaces. They are likely counterfeits.

As both of these issues have long been "keys" to the Morgan dollar series, genuine ones should have cost you hundreds of dollars each even several decades ago.  If you paid a bargain price for them, that is another clue that they aren't genuine.  "There is no Santa Claus in numismatics!"

On 4/16/2023 at 7:36 PM, Greenstang said:

Just look at the dates ...

For the first one (top left) I don't think the date is that much different from a "far date" VAM (attached) if maybe it took a hit in that area, but the reverse doesn't match any of the know paired dies for the far date.  So at least that one doesn't appear to be authentic.

They all have a similar off appearance, and looking at the bottom two 1889-CC's the dates are way off.  So they are likely all fakes.

1889-CC_VAM_3_Photo_1.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Clockwise from the top left, the hair and TY in LIBERTY are completely washed out and there should be some detail in those areas considering the rest of the coin. 1894 has G6 rims on the obverse of an otherwise VF+ condition as well as issues with the reverse wreath and eagle details, the lower two 1889's have misshapen dates as well as the same characteristic of the TY in LIBERTY. These coins cannot be genuine.

All 4 items are counterfeit coins. Report the seller to the FBI or US Secret Service. The bottom two are from the same crooked die pair.

Edited by RWB

Washed out liberty and are the eagle wings clipped? What are the odds of having three coins from the same obvers die ? Not good at all.

I hope you didn’t pay a lot for these and got ripped off … These Morgan dollars are almost always found in TPG holders by NGC or PCGS for authenticity reasons … Always be on alert when buying Raw Morgan dollars in this caliber 

I noticed the dates first, then the obvious black color shading , which on one coin has run. 
this certainly would qualify for the too good to be true rule. Sorry Fitzz, they don’t look genuine to me.