• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983-P dime Missing Clad error
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I'm thinking this is a true missing clad error on both sides of coin. But could this be environmental damage. This one has me in a loop, can't tell if that's PMD or not. Thanks for any advice with this coin.

20230404_125821.jpg

20230404_130112.jpg

20230404_130154.jpg

On 4/4/2023 at 1:39 PM, Just Bob said:

The overall look of the coin makes me think it is stained, and not missing the outer clad layers.

Thank you Bob, I figured something was wrong with it.

On 4/4/2023 at 1:50 PM, Greenstang said:

Looks like environmental damage, possibly a buried coin.  
Do you have the weight?

The weight is 2.24

The mint spec weight is [2.27g] for that 1983 (P) dime so it may be missing a clad layer depending on its weight, due to environmental damage from the appearance of the coin.  It could also just be discolored with some weight loss from environmental damage.  It does not look like a missing clad layer planchet error, similar to the attached.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Edited by EagleRJO
Corrected mint spec weight

Im in the enviromental damage camp also. Ive found several of them metal detecting and several had that look after I cleaned them up and put them back in circulation.