• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 P REV of 38 Jefferson Nickel - wrong steps?
2 2

25 posts in this topic

I agree that this is a "Reverse of '40" with weak steps. On the Reverse of '38 the steps are lighter and slightly "wavy", while on the Reverse of '40 the steps are straighter and deeper.  More significantly as I see it, the whole area of the steps on the Reverse of '38 has a relatively "flat" appearance, while on the Reverse of '40 that area has a more "rounded" appearance. (On the Reverse of '38 the triangular edges of the area supported by the pillars are a little sharper than on the Reverse of '40, but I consider this a minor difference that may be difficult to discern.)

If the grading services recognize these varieties, they should make sure that their graders are properly trained to recognize them!  Given the cost of third-party certification, I find the frequency of errors like this troubling.

On 11/13/2022 at 4:33 PM, Sandon said:

If the grading services recognize these varieties, they should make sure that their graders are properly trained to recognize them!  Given the cost of third-party certification, I find the frequency of errors like this troubling.

I think the TPG's spend less than 5 seconds for each coin (other than maybe pre-screening and a finalizer), so the errors don't sound surprising to me.

Someone may have submitted it as a R38 and they said "yea ... sure".

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/13/2022 at 3:33 PM, Sandon said:

I agree that this is a "Reverse of '40" with weak steps. On the Reverse of '38 the steps are lighter and slightly "wavy", while on the Reverse of '40 the steps are straighter and deeper.  More significantly as I see it, the whole area of the steps on the Reverse of '38 has a relatively "flat" appearance, while on the Reverse of '40 that area has a more "rounded" appearance. (On the Reverse of '38 the triangular edges of the area supported by the pillars are a little sharper than on the Reverse of '40, but I consider this a minor difference that may be difficult to discern.)

That is the way I saw it too. Usually the top line on the rev of 38 ramps up toward the 1st pillar. I started to question myself after looking at it too much. I’m curious to know how much time is actually spent on the steps in the grading room. Thanks for looking. I appreciate it.

Edited by Lem E
Add thank you

On 11/13/2022 at 4:48 PM, FlyingAl said:

Definitely a Reverse of 1940. Note the sharp definition at the right side of the steps that is the giveaway. 

On 11/13/2022 at 5:01 PM, Simple Collector said:

No doubt reverse of 40.

Thanks guys. I agree. I haven’t had very good luck filling this slot. The first coin I purchased turned out to be a fairly costly mistake. It was one of 2 graded at MS-67 5FS with one finer. I had to battle a few bidders for it. I never really questioned the label at first. Just thought I had found a nice scarce piece. Turns out the steps were rev of 40. I had to pull it to keep the integrity of the set. Certainly made me learn the difference though. 

You may wish to determine whether the seller would be willing to take the coin back for a refund.  NGC might correct the designation without charge, but you would probably have to pay the shipping and would still have a coin you don't want and have to dispose of. (You may want to contact NGC about this.) This is why it's important to ignore that little paper tag and carefully inspect any coin that you wish to purchase.  If you can't inspect the coin in-person or at least a clear high-resolution photo, you might not want to buy it.

On 11/13/2022 at 6:58 PM, FlyingAl said:

PCGS yes, NGC no. 

I thought they were on a level playing field. Maybe why I notice a preference for higher valued coins. For me with virtually all raw coins if there is a mistake the guy in the mirror I'm pointing a finger at says "tough". 😜 

I will be sending this coin back. Sending it off to be corrected would get me nowhere. The seller pics were just slab shots so the step detail was hard to see. I took a shot and I always presumed from the start there is a 50/50 shot of it being wrong. The hunt continues. Thanks for everyones help.

On 11/13/2022 at 7:20 PM, Lem E said:

I took a shot and I always presumed from the start there is a 50/50 shot of it being wrong.

Wow, sounds like me with buying raw coins from ebay where it's kinda like a box of chocolates, where you never know what you are going to get.

Good thing I get most of my raw coins from a larger dealer that is good at weeding thru questionable stuff and routinely under grades coins a little. 😉

Edited by EagleRJO

I’m starting to run into a similar attribution problem as I start to get into the SMS/satin finish coins from 2005-2010. I picked up a 2006 coin that was supposed to be a high grade MS coin and ended up being a SMS coin. It’s all a learning experience. 

On 11/13/2022 at 9:57 PM, Lem E said:

I’m starting to run into a similar attribution problem as I start to get into the SMS/satin finish coins from 2005-2010. I picked up a 2006 coin that was supposed to be a high grade MS coin and ended up being a SMS coin. It’s all a learning experience. 

I do not think the coin I picked up on Friday is a SMS or Satin Finish 2006 D coin. You can see it on my JP Nickel thread.

On 11/13/2022 at 8:57 PM, Lem E said:

The future of 2005-2010 coins seems controversial. 

On 11/14/2022 at 7:34 AM, J P M said:

I do not think the coin I picked up on Friday is a SMS or Satin Finish 2006 D coin. You can see it on my JP Nickel thread.

I think these coins are going to be a slippery slope. I think it is going to be hard to tell the difference between a nice MS coin and a bad SMS coin. I have a little experimental project going on with these. I don’t have a lot of experience with the SMS coins or really any of the coins from this date span. I bought 4 2006 uncirculated sets and 4 rolls of mint wrapped nickels also dated 2006. I’m not even sure what will be in the rolls. I’m hoping they are just regular coins. A nice SMS coin is pretty obvious but, in just the two uncirculated sets that I have looked at, I have noticed a difference in the quality. The Kennedy half in one of the sets doesn’t even resemble the Kennedy half in the other set. I figured I would try to collect up some examples of both types of coins and do some comparisons. I would like to see if I can find any type of marker or design element that would help differentiate between the two other than just the finish. The rolls are supposed to be here today but I am at work. From the info I have gathered, all of the uncirculated sets from the mint from 2005-2010 are considered the SMS/satin finish coins. There were no regular coins in these sets. Here are the two Kennedy halves. Both from sealed SMS sets and the difference in the finishes is quite a gap. 45EEECAC-A3B3-4C0F-8788-47186E22C3F9.thumb.jpeg.d3e5004d76a7a18997056623ac3b06ef.jpegE474E2DB-7DFE-487A-A4BC-45D0723FBDA2.thumb.jpeg.5793dc807914b444e9c6770b2503086d.jpeg

Edited by Lem E

I apologize for straying off topic from the original heading of this post but in the grand scheme of things it is relevant. Here is another shot of that same Kennedy half from above pulled out of the packaging and I set it next to a 1995 example that was given to me as change from a gas station. I know there were no SMS coins in 95. If there is some type of “special finish” that was used in 1995 I am unaware of it. The 06 is just a complete turd. The reverse isn’t nearly as bad. B32F85DA-5A88-42E9-A9AE-58628DD9AE9B.thumb.jpeg.59ee00cec5aa42ccb02453cf44386732.jpegE29436C2-F851-4B47-8DB8-22959FB4A0AF.thumb.jpeg.94b188c75f29f306536aa772d42fb308.jpeg

There may be some oil on the 06 from the mint packaging and it is making the coin look bad....... Or not LOL....  and yes the whole 2006 to 2010 SMS is a pain in the butt if you ask me. Trying to find a regular strike coin for my set is difficult everything comes up SMS

On 11/14/2022 at 4:36 PM, J P M said:

There may be some oil on the 06 from the mint packaging and it is making the coin look bad....... Or not LOL....  and yes the whole 2006 to 2010 SMS is a pain in the butt if you ask me. Trying to find a regular strike coin for my set is difficult everything comes up SMS

That 06 is beat to hell. Scratches and marks all over the obverse and it simply looks like a regular strike finish. Below is the coin that got me looking into this particular subject. Graded as a MS-68 6FS coin. Pop of 2/0. When I got it in hand I was pretty certain it wasn’t a regular finish coin but I wanted to see other examples. After getting my SMS sets I was convinced it was not a regular strike. It’s just too clean.5510AA2C-D4A3-41EC-9222-3C3EA4E17D1D.thumb.jpeg.ad5d57dae04c66fe87270ae2de9f05e8.jpegABEEDF68-1A9B-4C77-B33A-4D5798EEAD2F.thumb.jpeg.3bc824ec03a87575adf1c9b216372147.jpeg

On 11/14/2022 at 5:43 PM, J P M said:

This MS68 FS SMS is nice it is just not as matt looking as your 68 in my opinion.

S20221114_0001.jpg

S20221114_0002.jpg

2006 D sms.jpg

2006 D sms Reverse.jpg

5 years of this mess to wade through. Thanks for nothing US Mint. :roflmao: