• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

numismatic vocabulary

14 posts in this topic

Okay. Well, we know there are good basic listings we could start with. I do think people are more likely to read a consolidated local list that gets added to over time. Does anyone consider this worth the effort? I'm also asking whether people would weigh in and help build it out.

Both the standard and deluxe ("Mega") editions of the "Redbook" contain glossaries with basic numismatic terminology, although they are certainly not exhaustive.   That's one of the reasons why both are featured in my summary of "Resources for New Collectors" referred to in my posting under that name and referenced by @EagleRJO.  The meaning of most words can be determined by checking them in a search engine. While @JKK and others are welcome to start a posting on this, I'm not sure how we could keep it all together in alphabetical order or agree on the definitions.  The person who wants to call his 1943 steel or post-mint plated cent a rare "silver penny" will still do so without even looking for such a resource, and as I found out, may take offense at our efforts at education.  

I agree with Sandon that beginning from scratch with a glossary is prolly a non-starter. Maybe start with a link to the NGC one and just add further definitions as needed (or ask NGC for an update), as well as a link to Sandon's "resources" thread

Plus, I would include the coin term graphic I posted above as well as the following on doubling and a 1982 Lincoln Cent which are very common questions.

902155493_CoinErrors-DoubledDievsMachineDoublingDiagram.jpeg.89ebdb921878a706539381cedaabb2d7.jpeg.jpg

anatomy-of-a-coin-info.jpg

1982 Lincoln Cent.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Thanks. I was thinking a vet should write it up, but I could also do that if needed. Also how do I contact an Admin as I have never done that.

If you think I should write it up I will post the proposed thread intro here to get some comments before I start the thread.

Edited by EagleRJO

We were kicking around just using a link to the NGC Glossary and adding to that in the thread or requesting revisions/additions from NGC.

I will do the thread if you guys want me to. Also how do I contact an Admin?

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/5/2022 at 3:28 PM, EagleRJO said:

Thanks. I was thinking a vet should write it up, but I could also do that if needed.

I have been seeing more topics being posted lately where having access to basic resources or the correct terms would be helpful in asking and answering those questions as discussed here. I had some time available, so I took a shot at a topic that can be pinned to this "newbie" sub-forum with some basic info and links.

I also drafted a follow up addition to the initial post with some resources and infographics on specific areas with common questions like coin errors, varieties, doubling on coins, rare cents like the 1982-D small date copper, etc. with some of the links and infographics previously posted here and elsewhere. This should be particularly useful for people to identify post-mint damage which is often posted as a question asking if the damage is an error, with many of the various references being repeatedly posted. So this topic can provide a simple one link sticky topic for checking those issues, and which can be pasted into replies

Let me know if there are any questions, comments or suggested additions before I post the topic and ask for it to be pinned as discussed.

--------------------------------------------------

Topic:  Basic Resources & Glossary For Those Posting Questions

When considering posting coins or questions it is often helpful to first check some basic resources which may answer commonly asked questions. In addition, using proper terminology when posting questions will help to more accurately convey what you are asking about and increase the likelihood of having your questions properly answered.

Concerning general questions that people may have about coins and collecting them, it may be something that has been previously asked on the chat boards or information that is readily available on the NGC site, either of which can be searched as follows:

• To search the NGC Chat boards click on the search icon (magnifying glass) on the top right of a chat board page (https://boards.ngccoin.com/search/), and then type in the question or topic of interest. There are also various filters that can be added to the search.
  • To search the entire NGC site click on the NGC Logo at the top left of any page to go to the NGC home page (http://www.ngccoin.com), and look for the search bar near the top of the page and within the drop down "Menu" tab to type in your question or topic of interest.  You can also hover over the various drop down menu tabs which have topics of interest that can be explored, including the "Resources" tab as an example which contains many research related topics.

Concerning using proper terminology related to coins see the attached infographic entitled "Anatomy of a Coin" and the NGC "Glossary of Numismatic Terms" (http://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/2202/Glossary/). Using proper terms in posting questions and conversing with board members will more accurately convey what is being asked and understanding information being provided by board members.

Concerning newer collectors who are just starting out in the coin collecting hobby, and others who just want to increase their knowledge about coins, it is important to have and study some basic coin collecting resources. In addition, there are also commonly referenced books on the value of coins as well as true coin errors. A topic on the chat boards which discusses these resources van be found at the following page:  Topic: Resources for Newer Collectors

Also, when posting questions about specific coins it is important to start a separate threat for each coin and include clear and focused pictures of the entire coin showing both the obverse (front) and reverse (back) sides of that coin.   Close up pictures of specific areas of the coin related to those questions can also be added as desired.  However,  just posting a picture of one side of a coin or just close up pictures related to a question often does not provide enough information in order for others to properly understand the questions being asked and respond appropriately. And please read the topic entitled "What you need to know about posting coins for inquiry" (Topic: What you Need to Know About Posting Coins).

Keep in mind that those responding are just hobbyist that enjoy collecting coins, or those in related fields, who are volunteering their time trying to assist others related to that, and are just providing individual opinions that are not an official response or position of NGC unless stated otherwise.

Please refrain from posting questions or comments in this topic to keep it short and to the point for people seeking information, and instead post a new topic tagging me and linking to this with comments or suggested additions.

--------------------------------------------------

(Basic Resources & Glossary For Those Posting Questions, cont.)

Coin Info, Errors & Varieties

As a follow up concerning resources, there are often common questions asked in the forums or areas of coin collecting where checking some basic references related to that first can be very helpful or answer questions some may have.

Concerning coin errors and varieties of coins, it is important to first understand some basics about how coins are made, what actually is a coin error or variety which may have some value, grades of coins that affect values, what is just post mint damage to a coin that is not valuable, and what are some known or recognized coin errors or varieties.

There are also several issues which are commonly posted where a simple comparison with the attached infographics can provides answers which includes: (a) coin production during which errors can occur; (b) doubling on a coin resulting from either common machine doubling (or "shelf doubling") or less commonly from a doubled die; and (c) indicators to use when looking for the astronomically rare 1982-D Lincoln small date copper penny.

Please refrain from posting questions or comments in this topic to keep it short and to the point for people seeking information, and instead post a new topic tagging me and linking to this with comments or suggested additions.

Anatomy of a Coin Infographic.jpg

US Mint Coin Production Diagram.jpg

Doubled Die Graphic.jpg

1982 Lincoln Cent Infographic.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Looks like the sticky topic is good to go, so the next thing is to request that from an Admim and then post the topic.

I posted this question in the "Ask NGC/NCS" sub-forum and I'm just waiting for a response from an Admin to proceed.