• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submitted - MS68.5 vs mine. & off topic updated
1 1

163 posts in this topic

On 11/1/2022 at 10:17 PM, EagleRJO said:

That has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. I can buy them but I can't use them? Who thought up that winner?

And did they change the standards to LED?

It was more of a joke Jo, ( although with 50 years in the electrical trade ) in reality most fixtures you can only use a 60w light bulb or you void the UL rating . So yes it is kinda true.:roflmao:

On 11/2/2022 at 9:48 AM, J P M said:

... in reality most fixtures you can only use a 60w light bulb or you void the UL rating

I didn't know that, so I just checked my swing arm lamp, and it indeed has a sticker which says 60W max. So, it's UL's fault for not testing and listing fixtures for commonly available bulbs. :eyeroll:

On 10/28/2022 at 3:30 AM, Harry’s Collection said:

Okay FINALLY UPDATE FROM NGC!  Good and Bad ... here is the 1885 photo, but they feel the toning is questionable, probably bc it’s just perfect, however one of the leading experts authors/contributors of the RED BOOK was introduced to me a last week from a mutual friend & he said the 1885 toning is 100% genuine & gave a 5 min explanation & so I’ll have him be in touch with NGC this week ...

*When I say 67+ or 68+, it’s habit because that is what PCGS uses unlike NGC 68* or 67*

Hey Harry, I almost missed your update as you just edited the original post with new info, when most just add to a topic with new info. Sorry to hear that NGC thought the 1885 has questionable toning, which is what several here were also seeing. It is unlikely that NGC will change that based on a third-party opinion that does not work for them as they must guarantee any grade or authentication. Plus, there is not consistent agreement in the industry on any particular toning, so they would likely stick with what their experts are indicating. But you never know and it's worth a shot if the outside expert is willing to do that for you.

Also, understood as to why you think in terms of half grades, but both PCGS and NGC utilize the "+" designation, which is different from the "*" designation ... NGC Coin Grading Scale | About Coin Grades | NGC

C’mon, Harry. Let’s stop pretending you’re some prodigy and get down to the (very) hard work of upping your game. You have potential, and a halfway decent eye for quality, but you need scads more experience and TRAINING. Sign up for a frequent flyer program or four and let’s get serious. 

On 10/28/2022 at 2:30 AM, Harry’s Collection said:

*Side note I feel there seem more variations of the 1942/1 - D to be discovered.  

I feel ya’, Harry, really I do. I feel there’s at least 3 different types of 1970-S cents, too, not just SD & LD. 

Now that you've gotten the results, what've you got, exactly? Irrespective of toning, which isn't "formally" considered in rendering opinions on grades... let me cut to the chase here: How about a photo?  As it is said, a picture is worth a thousand words!  [And, if it isn't, well, that's what the humongous Powerball jackpots are for.]  :makepoint:  :facepalm:  :roflmao:

On 10/31/2022 at 4:24 PM, Harry’s Collection said:

....  You have to understand one thing from my research the mint never wanted a perfect smooth coin for circulation to avoid counterfeits....

When all is said and done, perhaps in an after-action addendum, would you be kind enough to confide whether there is any factual basis for this assertion, or were simply sounding off?

EDIT:  Scenario...

Q.A.:  COUNTERFEIT?  How so?

XYZ (TPGS): Look at it.  It's all worn down; perfectly smooth...

Q.A.:  That's just PMD!  It's got to be a Good to Very Good...

XYZ:   It-can-not-be-gra-ded.

Q.A.:  WHY?

XYZ:   Because it's a COUNTERFEIT!

Q.A.:  WHAT AM I PAYING YOU FOR?

XYZ:  An opinion.  

:pullhair:

Edited by Quintus Arrius
To add to the "body of knowledge."

On 11/1/2022 at 12:48 AM, VKurtB said:

Goodness my, YES!!!! Old Morgan dollar rolls did not have rolled ends like modern rolls do, that create the ring. They had folded over paper ends that toned the whole coin on the side facing the paper!

🐓 : I wonder if Kurt realizes had he not persisted in writing rolled ends, "roll" ends, the way most of us mispronounce it----much like "double" dies instead of "doubled" dies----this generous concession would have been unnecessary.

Q.A.:  If he didn't, he does now...  :baiting:  :whistle:

On 11/2/2022 at 3:56 PM, EagleRJO said:

Well, at least current LED bulbs have a lower wattage for the same 75W/100W equivalent illumination. Now VKurtB's swing arm lamp with those bootleg 100W incandescent bulbs is about to burst into flames! :roflmao:

These are the exact fixtures that the ANA supplies to tableholders at their conventions. The same parallelogram lamps used in the Pixar animated logo at the beginning of their films, with 100 watt bulbs - yes, ALL imported and now technically illegal to use in this country. Yes. ANA bulbs. Incandescent. 100W. Imported. Illegal. Accept it or do political action on it. I choose the latter. 

Edited by VKurtB

LED and Florescent  lights stink. They are not a clear light they are a white light. not good for grading coins at all.

On 11/2/2022 at 7:22 PM, VKurtB said:

.... Accept it or do political action on it. I choose the latter. 

🐓:  But, whatever happened to the threat of force and violence, Q?

Q.A.: Over incandescents?  That's not the American way!  That was the Sixties....  :makepoint: doh! :whistle:

VKurtB doing some heavy lifting for all of us so we can make the CHOICE to either save some money over time or have better lighting for a few critical lamps. I'm okay with one bulb in my whole house that isn't the most efficient.

On 11/2/2022 at 7:47 PM, EagleRJO said:

VKurtB doing some heavy lifting for all of us so we can make the CHOICE to either save some money over time or have better lighting for a few critical lamps. I'm okay with one bulb in my whole house that isn't the most efficient.

I’ve been doing legislative advocacy since I was 25. From the public side for 28 years, and from the inside for 13 years. I’m a real pugnacious pain in the butt. Heck, I’ll even write the bill for them if I have to. 

Edited by VKurtB

To the OP: 

To quote a fellow member, I'm going to "buck up" and take full responsibility for derailing your thread.  I am not, however, going to be distracted from re-stating my most recent query to you: in substance, Now that you've gotten your grading results, what've you got? Enquiring minds want to know.

"but they feel the toning is questionable"   What an incredibly surprising outcome.

But I also want to give credit where credit is due, the op did come back and update with the results.   Few ever do so.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 11/2/2022 at 9:00 PM, VKurtB said:

And if we’re really dealing with a GLOBAL climate change problem, tell me why Hungary gets a pass on making and using 100W bulbs. Last time I looked, Hungary is on the same globe. 

I believe that movie, BORAT, was filmed in Hungary. Remember that scene where a horse-drawn broken-down jalopy was being "driven"?  They may make the bulbs, but I seriously wonder if they are using them.

I just realized how derailed this thread did get since I'm posting on the 5th page now, but some interesting banter. And the op just wanted number grades posted. 😜 

Edited by EagleRJO

I just went back to the first post and it is rewritten and it rambles on like my old friend slick used to do. Why do people change there posts so we can not see the previous wording  hm 

Edited by J P M

On 11/3/2022 at 1:17 PM, J P M said:

.... Why do people change there posts so we can not see the previous wording  hm 

He is a relatively new member.  He is all worked up about what he may, or may not, have.  Perfectly understandable. In China, he would be relegated to a re-education camp. Here, we lend a helping hand. He has made some pretty outlandish statements, but haven't we all at one time or another?  He will pick up things as he goes along.

On 11/3/2022 at 4:06 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

He is a relatively new member.  He is all worked up about what he may, or may not, have.  Perfectly understandable. In China, he would be relegated to a re-education camp. Here, we lend a helping hand. He has made some pretty outlandish statements, but haven't we all at one time or another?  He will pick up things as he goes along.

Hmm. Chinese Communist Party Numismatic Re-education Camps. Run by the Chinese Numismatic Association? You might just be onto something here, Quintus. Instead of collecting silver Pandas, you have to feed bamboo to actual pandas. “Just a pinch b’tween yer cheek n’ gum.”

On 11/2/2022 at 11:12 PM, Coinbuf said:

But I also want to give credit where credit is due, the op did come back and update with the results.   Few ever do so.

Yea, but he did trash everybody who thought it was a no/details grade due to issues, so a wash.