• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ranks seem to have thinned quite a bit.
1 1

38 posts in this topic

On 8/2/2022 at 9:29 PM, RWB said:

Maybe my outspokenness is to blame in part. Think I'll go post on the motorized missile launcher hobby website.....

No, no... my wrist was slapped. Most people I know don't like -footing around.  As they say in Noo Yawk:

"GIVVITAMEESTRAIGHT."

We should all be a bit thick-skinned here.  You just can't let it bother you.  I'm here to gather and accumulate knowledge and ask questions, if my butt gets tanned every now and then rhetorically, so be it. xD

I see more people in the NEWBIE section the last year or so, but with gold sucking eggs the last few months, I think that is why our section US COINS is a bit off.

On 8/3/2022 at 9:10 AM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

I just see it as the doldrums of summer, coupled with hackneyed threads.

I'm not sure how active we are in total compared to PCGS and CT....but we have some unique threads like the RWB Saints Book Thread which for anyone interested in Saints or a collector should be a "must" visit thread.  But even at the other locations, you don't see that much activity on Saints or Double Eagles.

Every now and then, a thread is "hot" -- like when Roy Langbord was over ATS posting on the legal rangling with the 1933 DEs.  Or following a sale of the legal 1933 purchased by our friend EC.

With all the various coin collectors for Saints -- and for other coins -- you would think the viewing and posting traffic would be alot higher.  But maybe coin collectors are not used to or inclined to view/post ?

Edited by GoldFinger1969

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

What is wrong with you people dont you want to see my brand new electroplated 1966 doubled die with a clipped planchet error????

Only if it's also struck over a Roman denarius. :roflmao:

On 8/2/2022 at 9:29 PM, RWB said:

Maybe my outspokenness is to blame in part. Think I'll go post on the motorized missile launcher hobby website.....

Of all the people that regularly post, I'm pretty sure that *you* are not the problem. 

On 8/3/2022 at 10:57 AM, CaptHenway said:

The problem is not with YOU.

[I know that but when the doorbell rang, I opened it and next thing I know two guys duct-taped my hands behind my back and ordered me to give the Forum a rest.]  (shrug)

On 8/3/2022 at 7:28 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[I know that but when the doorbell rang, I opened it and next thing I know two guys duct-taped my hands behind my back and ordered me to give the Forum a rest.]  (shrug)

been there \

done that.

[I know that but when the doorbell rang, I opened it and next thing I know two guys duct-taped my hands behind my back and ordered me to give the Forum a rest.] 

WOoooo buddy.... what you do on your own time is your bussines ....hhehheheheheeh ...

On 8/5/2022 at 3:54 PM, JT2 said:

WOoooo buddy.... what you do on your own time is your bussines ....hhehheheheheeh ...

It’s “double secret probation” he has faced and survived. 

I recommend they don't come to my home unless they have a warrant

On 8/6/2022 at 10:02 AM, numisport said:

I recommend they don't come to my home unless they have a warrant

My wife said she thought they were the "Blues Brothers" until she noticed a distinctive patch with a discreet "N C C" on one of them. I was actually relieved to hear that. She got the acronym wrong, but I got the message alright. She thought they were very nice. She asked me why I didn't invite them to stay for supper!  :makepoint: doh! :facepalm:

On 8/2/2022 at 9:37 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

No, no... my wrist was slapped. Most people I know don't like -footing around.  As they say in Noo Yawk:

"GIVVITAMEESTRAIGHT."

Youse is from Niew Yawk also?

FaGeddaAboutit

On 8/8/2022 at 3:24 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I havent got to get on here very much lately. Life got very busy for me the past few weeks. Ive tried to take time to read a few post here and there.  Ive been wheelin and a dealin trying make ends meet and get this boy some college books. None of you all have scared me off yet. Im very easy going and thick skinned. Here soon im gonna try to get on here more just as soon as I get caught up. Ive missed talking to you all the past few weeks. 

We'll be here when you get things sorted out.  Wishing you the best of luck

Edited by Oldhoopster

I’ll be wheeling through on my way to Rosemont. Last year there were tornados during two show evenings. Very entertaining viewing from the hotel. As long as you can see lateral motion, you’re probably okay. Elvira Gulch on a bicycle? Less of a good sign. 

On 8/8/2022 at 1:29 PM, Frank said:

Youse is from Niew Yawk also?

FaGeddaAboutit

Talkin' ta me? I don't see nobody else here. You talkin' ta me?

How am I funny? You mean like I'm a clown here to amuse you?

(And then Liotta blinked!)

@Frank: Yeah. I still haven't got over your post about hoarders and numismatists. That was a cold shot, but you had me dead to rights. Guess I'll just have to live with that. Been called worse!  

On 8/8/2022 at 8:17 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Talkin' ta me? I don't see nobody else here. You talkin' ta me?

How am I funny? You mean like I'm a clown here to amuse you?

(And then Liotta blinked!)

@Frank: Yeah. I still haven't got over your post about hoarders and numismatists. That was a cold shot, but you had me dead to rights. Guess I'll just have to live with that. Been called worse!  

You get a pass because you were so specialized on a short series. 

I have to log in three or four times a week and the last time a couple days ago I ran into trouble.  It took me to a page that knew me but every time I left the page I was logged out again.  

A lot of sites are less active.  I suspect most sites had a lot of people with axes to grind or who were out and out trolls.  Many have left and younger people are absorbed on facebook.  

We've gotten some active threads in the last few months and years, and folks keep them alive.  That's something.  The thread on RWB's Double Eagle Book is going on 2 1/2 years.  Almost 60 pages.  (thumbsu

Other forums.....GTG and Do You Like This Coin threads seem to dominate.  Unlike sports or politics threads where lots of people vent, nobody is going to vent on a coin forum.  So....the people here post about prospective purchases or actual purchases...which THEY like to talk about but others might not.  For example, I have no knowledge (or interest) on many of the coin threads here so I can't/won't post on them.  I simply have nothing to contribute other than congratulating someone on a nice purchase. :)

That's why I post on and keep an interest in on more popular and expensive coins....like MCMVII High Reliefs in particular and Saints in general -- even though I have only a few of the latter and none of the former.   They're classic coins that MOST of us have some knowledge about, even if we don't actually have an interest in the coins and/or own any.   We can also debate things like the influence of PM prices on the coins, population data, new finds via hoards, and of course, unique items like the 1933 Saint(s).  On other forums, things get heated but I LOVE debating and going back-and-forth; what fun is it if everyone agrees with you ?  That's why I do like it when Kurt and I debated the Double Eagle case a while back with lots of posts.  I learned things from him; hopefully he got some stuff from me, too.

It's easy to find articles and books talking about the historical significance of Saints, Morgans, and a few other coins....not so Indian Cents, Nickels, or Quarters.

We should know in another year or so. (thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 8/11/2022 at 10:38 PM, cladking said:

I have to log in three or four times a week and the last time a couple days ago I ran into trouble.  It took me to a page that knew me but every time I left the page I was logged out again.  

If you were taken to the Registry Page by mistake....and especially if logging out and then logging in didn't solve the problem....you should use an Incognito Tab/Window to re-login. 

On 8/12/2022 at 9:29 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

If you were taken to the Registry Page by mistake....and especially if logging out and then logging in didn't solve the problem....you should use an Incognito Tab/Window to re-login. 

Yes.  I think that's exactly what happened. Logging out didn't help.  

Mebbe the ranks haven't so much thinned as many are stuck in limbo.