• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ranks seem to have thinned quite a bit.
1 1

38 posts in this topic

This year I did something that is clearly against the Guidelines: I refused to SIGN OUT. Only problem is, it did not help me get back in. So I wrote Customer Service and three different exceedingly helpful people helped me solve my problem. One even boldly asserted, We do not LOG OUT people. But how then would you enforce the Guideline rule, which to me actually makes sense: how else to determine how many members were participating, and how many lurkers were lurking about? Dena gave me the best advice: clear the cache and either eat the [oatmeal] cookies or throw them away. The latter wreaked its own havoc not unike the time I decided I can survive without cable. An entire retinue of concerns I never heard of informed me they had "disabled" their features. Good riddance! My best advice to @cladking is SIGN OUT, and then SIGN IN. These features may be difficult to locate, but keep looking. Or, you can do what I did: use the back door. Go to the web, look up NGC Chat Boards, etc., and when you intercept a thread which will allow you access, disengage from it by SIGNING OUT, and follow up by LOGGING IN. I was wondering what happened to you. Good Luck!

On 8/13/2022 at 9:26 AM, cladking said:

Yes.  I think that's exactly what happened. Logging out didn't help.  Mebbe the ranks haven't so much thinned as many are stuck in limbo. 

I wonder if maybe we should have the Mods post a sticky and/or email where they can find the work-around.

I still don't know why this glitch happens after a while....it's very tricky.  But the Incognito Window or Tab seems to work as long as I kill the existing window, open a new Incognito, and then login.  If I try  and login without killing the old tab, I get the registry page with a big picture of my avatar.  Gotta open a NEW tab and then the login comes in....hit the X to kill the popup and your login AND password should be filled-in automatically....hit the STAY LOGGED IN box and you should be set. (thumbsu

About every 8-10 days I get kicked off the site.  To get back in, I have to:

* go to the main NGC page and log out

* close the site

* reopen the site and get into the forums

Then I'm good for another week or so.  This has been a nuisance for a while.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

If it's any consolation I have to periodically log out and sign in again at the home page before I am recognized on the Chat Boards. This only happens to me with a mobile device. Using a desktop computer seems to maintain my identity.

[When this used to happen to me, awhile back now, I took it personally and would ask Customer Service: "For which of the innumerable offenses I have committed, am I being banned for?"

I would get a delicious, "revenge is best when iserved cold"-type retort: "You haven't been banned! Why would you think that? Reasoning throwing myself out the window would not yield a satisfactory result, I would try a different tack--and finally succeed. It's like trying to open a vault to which you have evidently forgotten the combination, and suddenly, unexpectedly, you're back. Man, I love this place! 😀 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing: quick face-saving edits.

On 8/14/2022 at 10:17 AM, DWLange said:

If it's any consolation I have to periodically log out and sign in again at the home page before I am recognized on the Chat Boards. This only happens to me with a mobile device. Using a desktop computer seems to maintain my identity.

Do you think maybe you can create a "sticky" for BOTH the Newcomer and U.S. Coins section where we can post the solutions to this glitch, Dave ? 

Or maybe post an email address that folks who can't login can contact someone at NGC -- or one of us -- for help ?

Edited by GoldFinger1969

@GoldFinger1969

This is actually a sensitive situation wrought with implications.

"Hey get a load of dis! An advisory!

"Far as I am concerned, an acknowledgment is tacit admission you are experiencing operating difficulties. Some geek in Nebraska will go to town on that: "It's so sim-ple! All ya gotta do is..." Yeah. 🐓 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Typo

On 8/8/2022 at 9:17 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Talkin' ta me? I don't see nobody else here. You talkin' ta me?

How am I funny? You mean like I'm a clown here to amuse you?

(And then Liotta blinked!)

@Frank: Yeah. I still haven't got over your post about hoarders and numismatists. That was a cold shot, but you had me dead to rights. Guess I'll just have to live with that. Been called worse!  

Yeah, I been talkin' at 'cha