• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1795 Liberty Round... Off center small eagle

30 posts in this topic

Arghhhh ! Gettest thou digits forth from thine 1795 dollar. 'Ner touch nor fondle a collector coin withist thou oily palm.

Need straight on, sharp photos of both sides, description of edge, weight, etc. Members will determine the variety and suggest your next action.

"And the ultrasound meter." Is the coin pregnant?

PS: See -- https://coinweek.com/counterfeits/struck-counterfeit-coins-a-family-of-struck-fake-draped-bust-dollars/

Edited by RWB

Strait on

20220513_102945~2.jpg

Edited by Lisa8675309
I bought ultrasonic thickness gauge lol and she isn't pregnant I think its broken tho or I dont know how to use it

On 5/13/2022 at 10:01 AM, RWB said:

Arghhhh ! Gettest thou digits forth from thine 1795 dollar. 'Ner touch nor fondle a collector coin withist thou oily palm.

Need straight on, sharp photos of both sides, description of edge, weight, etc. Members will determine the variety and suggest your next action.

"And the ultrasound meter." Is the coin pregnant?

PS: See -- https://coinweek.com/counterfeits/struck-counterfeit-coins-a-family-of-struck-fake-draped-bust-dollars/

Back

On 5/13/2022 at 10:34 AM, Alex in PA. said:

No OP and you know it isn't.

What does that mean? I bought it estate auction. And pray its really real can any one help before I pay to have it appraised. 

Screenshots_2022-05-13-11-50-54.png

Screenshots_2022-05-13-12-32-33.png

Edited by Lisa8675309
That is my coin on etsy

On 5/13/2022 at 10:08 AM, Lisa8675309 said:

Is this real?

On 5/13/2022 at 12:34 PM, Alex in PA. said:

No OP and you know it isn't.

That, takes care of that.

On 5/13/2022 at 1:51 PM, Lisa8675309 said:

I bought it estate auction. And pray its really real can any one help before I pay to have it appraised. 

Your coin is fake.  In fact, your coin is a well documented fake that is in the link that @RWB provided (above).  This is clearly the "vampire" counterfeit.  

I know I am stating the obvious, but you are are better off buying these coins previously authenticated by one of the two top TPGs (NGC or PCGS).  Whatever money you think you save in "making the coin", you will waste (10x) buying bad/fake/damaged/cleaned coins.  

Sorry for your loss.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

Never, ever buy another coin on Etsy. It is one of the most frequently used sites for the sale of counterfeit coins. As stated, your coin is a well-known fake.

I am sorry you got taken. That was a very expensive lesson learned. I hope you have some way to get your money back. 

On 5/13/2022 at 10:08 AM, Lisa8675309 said:

...first big coin purchase estate auction...

The purchase price is not stated. Let's hope it was a lot less than the $4,000+ shown in a previous post.

Good decisions come from knowledge, not prayers.

C’mon Lisa, I had expected more of you. Is the stuff after Lisa your serial number? Be really careful of speaking Mandarin near your coin. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/13/2022 at 8:25 PM, SlickCoins said:

Is this coin silver?

I mean if it isn't couldn't they fight for a return as it being sold as a round which is clearly bullion?

Thanks

A counterfeit coin is now “a round”?!?!? When did that happen?

On 5/13/2022 at 6:06 PM, RWB said:

The purchase price is not stated. Let's hope it was a lot less than the $4,000+ shown in a previous post.

Good decisions come from knowledge, not prayers.

She revealed the price that she paid in a different thread. It was a lot less than 4k, but more than I would want to lose. It was, however, cheap enough that red flags should have been flying all around her. You don't  buy a legitimate 1795 dollar for under $300 - even in AG.

On 5/13/2022 at 8:39 PM, Just Bob said:

She revealed the price that she paid in a different thread. It was a lot less than 4k, but more than I would want to lose. It was, however, cheap enough that red flags should have been flying all around her. You don't  buy a legitimate 1795 dollar for under $300 - even in AG.

Lisa, Lisa, Lisa. Tsk, tsk, tsk. 

On 5/13/2022 at 7:45 PM, VKurtB said:

Lisa, Lisa, Lisa. Tsk, tsk, tsk. 

It was an auction and I was the highest bidder. It was listed as a 1795 liberty round. I was excited that I won it. I hAve been successful in buying and reselling coins from time to time and the auction has been very reliable thus far. You can imagine my excitement when I won the coin. It weighs within range and has the right edge on it. Was an estate auction bummer its not real. Shouldn't be tsk tsk lisa. There were obviously people other than me bidding on it as you can see 425193158_Screenshot_20220513-1148382.thumb.png.7fea5284ed278f8bef98fe267bfac188.png

On 5/13/2022 at 5:15 PM, VKurtB said:

C’mon Lisa, I had expected more of you. Is the stuff after Lisa your serial number? Be really careful of speaking Mandarin near your coin. 

No its a song I am not sure what speaking mandarin near your coin means. I looked up 1975 liberty round did some research before bidding looked genuine, bid won then did all of the tests and next step was to get it authenticated. I paid the 29.99 to join the ngc and posted here I am not sure why the teasing I was being sincere and now disappointed that I am at a loss. I have some other coins wanting to see if they are worth something too resell and recover. 

Lisa, sorry about how this turned out for you. One lesson learned I hope is that when buying any high value coin, it should always be graded for authenticity. There are some pretty good counterfeits out there than can fool even experienced collectors.

If you want to post photos of some of the coins you want to sell, I’m sure there are people here that can help you in evaluating and let you know what you could possibly sell them for.

On 5/13/2022 at 7:25 PM, SlickCoins said:

Is this coin silver?

I mean if it isn't couldn't they fight for a return as it being sold as a round which is clearly bullion?

Thanks

Yes its silver and measures and weighs right on and edges were spot on too

On 5/14/2022 at 11:35 AM, Lisa8675309 said:

Yes its silver and measures and weighs right on and edges were spot on too

Sorry about your coin Lisa. Not to be a derogatory but making a counterfeit coin from silver seems counter productive ? Kinda like poor old Henning's and his nickels 

Lisa, please don't take offense to this. But, you mention that you buy and SELL coins.  Given that you are not very good at researching and spotting counterfeit coins, I would like to ask you to stop selling them.  You may be passing off counterfeit coins to other unsuspecting collectors.  

If you truly thought a 1795 $1 would go for <$500, this is likely not your first counterfeit coin.  Everyone loves a good deal, but when it's too good to be true - it is.

A 1795 bust, small eagle silver dollar is worth from $8,000 to $10,000 in extremely fine condition. Do you really think you could buy one for $260 ? You've been made a fool of by your own greed and ignorance.

But --- you can change!

Buy a copy of the Guide Book of US Coins and become familiar with the real values of authentic coins. Look beyond the promotional words and concentrate on facts and real-world truth. Learn about coin grading and what separates collectible errors and varieties from junk --  especially mechanical doubling from real doubled dies. Ask questions here and begin to understand real coin collectors from dishonest rubes and charlatans.

Notice how the seller calls this a "Liberty Round" not a dollar.  Seems to me like they knew it was fake but were trying to pass it off on an unsuspecting new collector.  Regardless, that still doesn't absolve them from the requirements of the Hobby Protection Act.  

You should immediately contact the seller to get your money back

Please stop selling IMMEDIATELY. Under these circumstances you are a menace to the hobby. 

On 5/14/2022 at 12:11 AM, Lisa8675309 said:

I am not sure what speaking mandarin near your coin means.

It's a joke referring to the fact that the piece is a Chinese counterfeit.

On 5/15/2022 at 11:09 PM, Conder101 said:

It's a joke referring to the fact that the piece is a Chinese counterfeit.

… and it might be “phoning home”. :roflmao: